+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 56 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Like Tree615Likes

Thread: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

FORT Fogey

Re: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    In a normal situation I think a child her age should know to be respectful when adults are talking. But in Alana's situation, I guess those lines are either blurred or don't exist- she is featured so often as the center of attention, or the topic of the adults' conversation, so I could see why it wouldn't make sense for her to think "I should be quite, grown ups are talking". I know there are lots of varying views on parenting styles and this family... if the TV version is anything like how they really live, I feel sad for how Alana is being raised.
    I feel sorry for her teachers. If she starts regarding the classroom as a stage and her classmates as an audience...yikes. I sometimes wonder too if the fact that she hasn't won at pageants as she has expected to--and has been disappointed about it--if getting the attention for hamming it up isn't particularly appealing to her.
    MizDaisy likes this.

I am almost ashamed to say that I like this show. I don't really agree with the extreme coupon clipping but other than that I'm okay. I mean, they never have coupons for fresh broccoli and I can't use that much deodorant so what's the point?? But the little girl is so spunky and confident. Yeah, she's a redneck. Yeah, her mom is a bit rude. But I think that mom would run through fire and flames for her girls, and they know it. And that's important. I dunno. I enjoy this show and I don't find it to be a bad mark against America. It's fun. It's real. It's not me but I'd love to drink a beer with mom and dad and let my kids play with the boo-boo.
    MsDiva2007 and sparklete like this.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I shudder to think what HBB's life will be like when her 15 minutes of fame are up! From that video clip (KTLA) she appears to be getting heavier and heavier and I doubt she will continue to win any of those pageants she is in that got her all this fame!

That KTLA interview was indeed a train wreck.
    ness, MizDaisy and AZChristian like this.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    As a parent, I've seen that kind of behavior too, and I've seen it dealt with two ways: either the parent disciplines the child and the behavior stops, or if it doesn't stop the parent leaves with the child, sometimes with the kid screaming their head off. Or the parent ignores the kid and the behavior continues to escalate until they do something that forces the parent to pay attention, or everyone around them has had enough and leaves. Kids learn with consequences: if there is no consequence for rude behavior, there's no reason to stop it.

I think the major difference is that Alana was on camera, and she knew the expectation was that she was there to be interviewed, with her mother. Alana wasn't just a little fidgety as some kids may be in that situation, she was so rude, loud and obnoxious that in several places the adults could barely be heard. Some people think that kind of behavior is cute, but it was incredibly rude to the people who invited them to make the appearance. I don't blame Alana, it was June who sat there and laughed it off as "that's just her."

June and Alana also appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live later the same day. In this video of their appearance, she's somewhat better behaved than in the KTLA interview although it must have been a long day for her. When she's not engaged in conversation with Jimmy she's mugging for the audience but at least she's not loudly talking over them as she was on the KTLA interview. At one point, June even asks Jimmy, did you see the KTLA interview as Alana jumps around in her seat.

Honey Boo Boo and Mama on Jimmy Kimmel Live PART 1 - YouTube

Honey Boo Boo and Mama on Jimmy Kimmel Live PART 2 - YouTube
    WELL SAID, MizDaisy!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    I shudder to think what HBB's life will be like when her 15 minutes of fame are up! From that video clip (KTLA) she appears to be getting heavier and heavier and I doubt she will continue to win any of those pageants she is in that got her all this fame!

That KTLA interview was indeed a train wreck.
    EXACTLY!!!

I chose to look at the KTLA clip, too.

From just the promo clips, online articles, etc., it is painfully clear that this child is blowing up as though she's a balloon being filled with helium.

And the behavior?

Oh, my Lord.

Do or WOULD I expect a seven-year-old to behave like a child in, say, their teens? Or an adult?

Absolutely not. That's not going to happen in this lifetime, or any other.

However, the behavior on that clip?

No way. I wouldn't've behaved that way around adults at seven, and I'm sure quite a few of us here at the FoRT wouldn't've, either.

It wouldn't at all surprise me to hear or read articles a few years down the road about how HBB hauled off and smacked Mama, Sugar, and all the REST of 'em.

SMH.
    MizDaisy, momrek06 and AZChristian like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat View Post
    I am almost ashamed to say that I like this show. I don't really agree with the extreme coupon clipping but other than that I'm okay. I mean, they never have coupons for fresh broccoli and I can't use that much deodorant so what's the point?? But the little girl is so spunky and confident. Yeah, she's a redneck. Yeah, her mom is a bit rude. But I think that mom would run through fire and flames for her girls, and they know it. And that's important. I dunno. I enjoy this show and I don't find it to be a bad mark against America. It's fun. It's real. It's not me but I'd love to drink a beer with mom and dad and let my kids play with the boo-boo.
    I would never feel ashamed If you enjoy the show, so what.Others watch different shows and make rude comments along the way( myself included) we are not perfect - any of us. Shows like this one, make us think we are.
    MizDaisy likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am sure other countries have people/communities comparable to our "rednecks"; we just don't know what they are called!
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I am sure other countries have people/communities comparable to our "rednecks"; we just don't know what they are called!
    umm rednecks( honest)
    MizDaisy likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Peasants? Gypsies, rancheros lol just googled searched it,lol
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    As a woman with 20 nieces and nephews I can assure you put a camera in front of any kid and they are going to play to it. Just like those silly adults you see hamming it up behind the news reporters on the news. The adults are old enough to know better,kids are just kids. Again This is a non factor for me?
    I think the difference is, there are no expectations of kids playing it up for home videos, and who cares if adults in the background of news reports are hamming it up because the story isn't about them. But the interviews with Alana are ALL about her, she's the star of the show. Yes, June is there too but Alana is the attraction. So there's a higher bar set for Alana. Unlike the kids/adults who are just goofing around, Alana is now considered a "celebrity" and if June had bothered to teach her how to behave in public, it's not too much to expect better behavior than playing to home videos. Alana did seem to be a little better on the Kimmel show, and I think that's because Kimmel knew how to engage a child in conversation, unlike those twits at KTLA. As long as he spoke directly to her, she was responsive and that's pretty good considering it was at the end of a long day.

we are not perfect - any of us. Shows like this one, make us think we are.
    ITA that if any parent wonders if they're doing a good job with their kids, just watch this show and you'll feel like you're doing a perfect job!!

+ Reply to Thread