+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Like Tree601Likes

Thread: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

FORT Fogey

Re: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    There is no best example of parenting. People do what they want with their kids. It's may not be what you or I or anyone else would do. It's their business and their child. Call me when she robs a bank, holds up a liquor store or steals little Johnny's lunch money or something criminal. Alana is a child enjoying her life, family and omg actually enjoys rolling around in the mud.
    Actually, there is. I can't imagine anyone believes that allowing a 7 year old to become obese and then continuing to allow her to stuff herself with junk food is an example of good parenting. According to the CDC, obese children are likely to become obese adults and therefore at risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, and other diseases. And studies show the number one influence on childhood obesity is the family.

Unless they have made mountain dew,candy and fun illegal not sure what the issue is. When Alana does something illegal then I will worry.
    Your choice. Fortunately for society, there are more people who choose higher standards for raising their children.

Hmmm sounds like this was a personal appearance event. So I am going to say odds are the candy and the invasion of the ring was pre planned.
    I'm going to say it doesn't matter if it was a personal appearance, it's not the first time we've seen Alana hopped up on sugar and caffeine. It's clearly a well ingrained habit.
    bee stung lips and NEPASue like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Hmmm sounds like this was a personal appearance event. So I am going to say odds are the candy and the invasion of the ring was pre planned.

Honey Boo Boo Wears Princess Costume, Hops Into Wrestling Ring - UsMagazine.com

So I am guessing Alana didn't get high on gogo juice and bum rush the ring. I mean punk in is inside and June has a mike sounds like a press appearance to me.
    What it appears to be depends on which article and which set of photographs you look at--the original link posted in this thread was to a different article that shows a lot of photos of Alana, some of which seem to be just her wandering around during the event and attracting attention, as opposed to doing a one-shot appearance during the event. In at least one photo, a boy about her age is looking in her direction and covering his ears, as if whatever it is she's doing is not what he came to hear/see, and in that one and others, the adults in the background appear quite uninterested in her being there, as they are looking toward the ring, where she is not at that moment. She and her mother may have been there for some sort of drawing during the event, but they may not have been what everyone was there to see either, so once their portion of the event was over, they should have either gone back to being members of the audience or left.

And even if she was the big draw, it's still not a wise idea to let a little girl in a long dress and heeled sandals crawl up and over the ring ropes, and even if June thought it was okay, I'm surprised the event coordinators didn't stop her. If she'd fallen and hurt herself, I suspect they'd be liable, and I know from experience how easy it is to sustain a fairly serious injury from a small mishap. Just because Alana thought it was fun or wanted to do it doesn't mean it was a wise idea to let her do it.
    MizDaisy likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My goodness!!! All of the self-righteousness and perfecting-parenting in here is amazing! Congratulations to all of you!
    grapenuts likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    My goodness!!! All of the self-righteousness and perfecting-parenting in here is amazing! Congratulations to all of you!
    I don't think I am a perfect parent at all. I'm sure none of us do, but there is a thing as common sense. I remember one of my friend's sister would let her infant drink pop in its bottle. She loved her child, she was a great parent, but that was not an example of a great parenting idea. That's all it is. I am sure she is loved greatly and is an amazing child, but a parent has to set some limits as to a child's behavior and what they eat. Its like letting your child eat the entire bag of halloween candy after they trick or treat. Its not bad, but its not a really good idea either.
    MizDaisy, NEPASue and AZChristian like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Oh, my! Who's talking about perfect parenting??? If the goal one sets for parenting is "as long as we're not doing anything illegal, we're good," alrighty then.

libgirl2: ...a parent has to set some limits as to a child's behavior.
    ITA. Simple. Common sense.
    NEPASue likes this.

Its easy to do when we are not under close scrutiny
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Its easy to do when we are not under close scrutiny
    That is very true...I would hate to be in the reality TV fishbowl. I don't blame this small child one iota. However, the parents knowingly and willingly put her there. In fact, they seem to devote pretty much all their time and energy ensuring she's in the spotlight as much as possible. Most parents do what's best for their kids, but I absolutely do question the judgement of a parent who thinks this could possibly be "best".
    libgirl2 and MizDaisy like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just don't have any issues with what others are doing with their own children. People are not puppets who come out the box with the same ideals,manners and morals. There are no best parental practices. Everyone is different and every parent has the right to raise kids in the manner they chose as long as they are not breaking any laws or physically abusing their kids.

Why this little girl is getting so much grief because she is enjoying her life,family and doing things they all like to do as a family is beyond me. I am sure none of us would appreciate someone trying to tell us how to raise of kids. Heck a lot don't even want the government telling you to have health insurance,lol.

Alana is a loved little girl let her have that reality until adult hood comes and snatches it from her.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    That is very true...I would hate to be in the reality TV fishbowl. I don't blame this small child one iota. However, the parents knowingly and willingly put her there. In fact, they seem to devote pretty much all their time and energy ensuring she's in the spotlight as much as possible. Most parents do what's best for their kids, but I absolutely do question the judgement of a parent who thinks this could possibly be "best".
    The price of selling out your family's lives to a reality TV show is the public will have an opinion about what they see and express it. You won't be able to control what other people think or say. Alana is not to blame for what's happened to her.

FORT Fogey

I don't think anyone is blaming Alana for anything. Kids don't make choices about their activities, diets etc. unless the adults around them allow them to do so. And yes, if Alana's parents are going to sign a contract to be paid to have their lives shown on a network as entertainment for others, then they're also sacrificing their privacy for the sake of the salary they're paid and people are going to react to what they see in the news or on the show, because they've decided to open up the way they live and the way they raise their children to public scrutiny.

I also don't see anyone saying everything the family does together is bad or inappropriate or that Alana's parents are the worst parents in the world. But even competent parents can still make some bad decisions. I remember seeing a young couple with a child who was around 18 months old in a local park, enjoying the day together. That's great. But at one point, they decided to cross a river at the very top of some fairly steep falls, steep enough to have caused the deaths of people who've accidentally gone over the top of them in the past. The water isn't terribly deep where they were crossing, but they were wading sometimes and sometimes jumping from rock to rock--with the child on the father's shoulders. I remember thinking that only one misstep on a wet, slippery rock could be really, really dangerous, and maybe they should have stuck to something safer--like walking across the bridge that goes over the river. Or, if they wanted to go wading, to go to a spot on the river that was a little less obviously dangerous. What they were doing wasn't illegal or abusive, but it wasn't a great idea either. Doesn't make them lousy parents but it does mean they were having a lapse of judgement, which everyone has from time to time.

I do wonder, sometimes, how being on the show is going to affect Alana when she's not surrounded by her family or others who are telling her it's great--like when she's in school or involved in some kind of normal kid activity like day camp or Girl Scouts or sports etc. I take it they live in a pretty small town, so it's highly likely all of her classmates will know about the show and will have some kind of opinion about it, whether their own or something they've taken on because of what they've heard others say about it. It's not just Alana I wonder about when it comes to that, however. I've thought the same thing about Mackenzie on Toddlers and Tiaras, for instance. And I also wonder what might happen when she's suddenly no longer the flavor of the moment and TLC and the show's viewers have moved on to something else. That happens all the time with child actors, and typically, the kids on reality shows have even less legal protection than kid actors do, and we've all heard pretty terrible stories about what has happened to some child actors, although the ones with savvy parents and good guidance can do well. I remember hearing the young woman who played Zelda on The Many Loves of Dobey Gillis interviewed about being a child actor and she said the best thing that happened to her as a young actor is that her parents became friendly with Roddy McDowall, who'd had success as both a child and adult actor. He really pushed the idea that the most important thing for herself and her brother, who was a child actor as well, was to get a good, solid education, so that if the acting career disappeared, they'd have something else to pursue--and to make sure that there weren't other things about which they might be more passionate than acting. She ended up going into law and politics and was grateful to McDowall and her parents for insisting that she make education a priority even if she was a young person on a television show. Not making education a priority isn't illegal or abusive, but it sure is a generally good idea to let kids know that getting an education is going to help thme in the long run (and let me be clear--I'm not saying Alana's parents don't do that; I have no idea if they do or not--I'm just using it as an example).
    libgirl2 and MizDaisy like this.

+ Reply to Thread