+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 56 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree615Likes

Thread: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

FORT Fogey

Re: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

I would hazard a guess that there are lots of kids out there in far worse situations than an overweight mother who extreme coupons and hoards toilet paper.
    I'd say that's faint praise indeed for any parent. Alana is gaining weight rapidly. When she weighed herself on the show, she was 70 lbs. The BMI scale for a 6-7 year old girl indicates she's obese. In the episode where the family went to a barbecue restaurant, June allowed Alana to order much more food than she could possibly eat (according to June), completely missing an opportunity to teach Alana that gluttony is not acceptable. She's quickly reaching (if she hasn't already) the stage where the little kid cute factor is gone and she's just another loud, obnoxious, fat kid. She cursed twice on the finale episodes ("damn gnats" and also said "p*ssed") in a way that suggests that such language is nothing new for her. None of this is Alana's fault, the blame lies squarely with her parents.

FORT Fogey

Oops, double post.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have concerns for when Alana goes to school. The children can be so mean, and it's not fair for her to have to go through that. Yeah...it's fun to laugh now (and enjoy her cuteness), but it won't be fun later.

June and Sugar Bear are not about saying "No!", and they are going to come to regret that.
    NEPASue likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Nothing says the holidays more then roadkill, farts, burps and snot.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I have concerns for when Alana goes to school. The children can be so mean, and it's not fair for her to have to go through that. Yeah...it's fun to laugh now (and enjoy her cuteness), but it won't be fun later.

June and Sugar Bear are not about saying "No!", and they are going to come to regret that.
    Fat kids are frequently ridiculed but I wonder if being a TV phenom will help her? People/kids like to snuggle up next to fame in hopes of getting some themselves. If I become friends with her maybe I could get on an episode and be discovered. It could happen.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Or, it could go the other way and the jealousy takes over and they decide to torture her as much as they can. And you can't rule out the effect of what they may hear from their parents, at home, that can help turn their children into little savages.

I just worry for her.
    ness and MizDaisy like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Or, it could go the other way and the jealousy takes over and they decide to torture her as much as they can. And you can't rule out the effect of what they may hear from their parents, at home, that can help turn their children into little savages.

I just worry for her.
    It certainly can go either way; I see no shades of gray.

FORT Fogey

I've watched maybe half an episode of Honey Boo Boo. I wasn't interested in what I saw, so I've never watched it again. I did hear, however, that the entire cast has gotten a raise--each of them will now make $20,000 an episode.

Now, I realize that compared to the prices some actors get paid, that may not be so much, but it seems a lot to me (but then, I don't get paid like a prime time actor either). Aren't these people just essentially being paid to do what they'd be doing anyway or to exaggerate what they'd be doing in order to make it more "entertaining"? And do all of them do enough to be paid equally? I suppose that's the fairest way to treat each family member the same, but still....if it weren't for Alana herself and maybe her mother, I doubt the rest of them would be of any interest to TLC, and since Alana is going to bear the brunt of this, as the rest of them aren't going to be publicly acknowledged as "Honey Boo Boo", I hope at least that her money is being securely stored for her by a reputable business manager, so it's there for her when she's a legal adult and decides what it is she wants to do with her life.

If Alana herself is now worried about getting chunky, I also really wish someone would step in and talk to her and the family about healthy eating and exercise. It's not that I don't indulge in things I shouldn't have myself, but I also know when it's time to stop or back off and I exercise etc. I wouldn't want the conversation to be about weight, per se, but about what they could do to make themselves feel better--simple things like taking a walk every day or, as others have suggested, not making a habit of over-ordering in restaurants just because you can, because then the temptation is to eat more than you need to eat. And yeah, my parents would never have allowed me to order that much food in a restaurant at that age either. That's the one episode I saw, and I was appalled by that, though I suppose it's possible they took the food home and made another meal of it later. Still, it's like Alana was ordering that much food as entertainment or to look more grown up. Either way, it's not a great motivation.
    NEPASue likes this.

FORT Fogey

I did hear, however, that the entire cast has gotten a raise--each of them will now make $20,000 an episode.
    The family's pay raise has been reported on several entertainment news outlets, but the amount is estimated at $20,000 per episode, not per person.

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    The family's pay raise has been reported on several entertainment news outlets, but the amount is estimated at $20,000 per episode, not per person.
    I saw it reported on some entertainment show and it said $20,000 per person, per episode.

+ Reply to Thread