+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree599Likes

Thread: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

Re: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

Interesting article on GOOGLE this morning.

TLC's 'Honey Boo Boo': Horrifying or hilarious? | Shreveporttimes | shreveporttimes.com

TLC's 'Honey Boo Boo': Horrifying or hilarious?

America is embracing Honey Boo Boo. No, America is horrified by Honey Boo Boo. Whatever. America is watching Honey Boo Boo.

Judging from the buzz in social and dinosaur media alike, TLC's Here Comes Honey Boo Boo (Wednesdays, 10 ET/PT) is either the end of civilization as we know it, or a loving picture of joyous redneck family values.

"And TLC wins again with another show I am hooked on," country singer Miranda Lambert burbled in a tweet last week; "a dolla makes me holla honey boo boo!"

Another, more-sour Twitter reaction: "SMH (shaking my head) at this nasty show. If go & act all crazy like I have no manners will they give me a TV show too?"

The latest entry in the reality sweepstakes, the half-hour show (which has drawn more than 2 million viewers a week in its first two weeks, TLC's top-rated show) follows the adventures of a self-described "crazy redneck" Georgia family , and their chubby little beauty-pageant princess, Alana Thompson, known to her familiars as Honey Boo Boo. She is 6.

She first appeared in TLC's Toddlers & Tiaras as a pageant contestant and made such an impression as a vivacious charmer, the network snapped up the whole family from rural McIntyre, Ga. — 300+-pound mama June, short-and-silent dad "Sugar Bear" Mike, and sisters Lauryn (Pumpkin), 12; Jessica (Chubbs), 15; and Anna (Chickadee), 17 and pregnant — for 10 episodes.

The show follows the family's wacky lifestyle in and out of pageants. Cameras watch them engage in all manner of offbeat antics — extreme couponing, eating roadkill, playing in mud, eating off the floor, toilet-papering the house, sneezing, nose-blowing and passing gas. At one point, HBB's pet piglet Glitzy is allowed to defecate on the kitchen table while they all roar with laughter.

"This family is 100 percent authentic, they are who they are, take it or leave it, but you couldn't make this stuff up," says Amy Winter, general manager of TLC. "It's completely unfiltered, a picture of their everyday life in rural Georgia."

"My family is crazy. … We're not boring," June told CNN last week. (The family was unavailable for this story.)

Maybe crazy like a fox. Tom McFloyd, who lived next door to them, told WMAZ-TV in Macon, "What they're doing on that show is not a put on." But Pamela Roberts, the city clerk who works across the street from them, thinks they're definitely "putting on a little bit. A lot of a little bit, put it that way."

Now they're hotter than hoarders on TLC and moving up the charts, according to Trendrr.tv, which tracks mentions in social media. After it premiered Aug. 8, Honey Boo Boo reached No. 4 (behind three of Discovery's Shark Week shows), even though the majority of comments (58 percent) Trendrr logged were considered negative, an unusual situation.

It's true that lots of people watch because of the "train-wreck aspect," says Rich Juzwiak, a staff writer for snarky Gawker.com who covers reality TV. He loves HBB because, he says, he's attracted to "unsightly" pop culture. "It's 2012. We mock what we love and we love what we mock. Get with the program," he wrote in a recent column defending the show.

"I don't see anything wrong with incredibly honest people being themselves and having a great time," Juzwiak says in an interview. "It's far better … than pretending that people don't live this way. It shows our underside, but sweeping parts of our culture under the rug is far worse."

But could Honey herself eventually be regretful, or even damaged? "Without a doubt … I think it's a form of abuse," says Mike Brody, a child psychiatrist who has written with alarm about parents putting kids on reality TV. He says most young children can't clearly discern the boundary between reality and make-believe.

"We don't have to wonder — we already have a whole literature on child stars and what happens to them. It's not a pretty picture," he says. "Don't we have enough information about Liza and Michael and Elizabeth and other former child stars? You don't have to be a child psychiatrist to figure out this doesn't make sense."
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I only watched the first 2 episodes and doing a drive by here.

June's entire family probably decided, wanted, yearned, lusted, fantasized about being on TV! No one sold anyone out here from what I saw! They are all loving it.

They will deal with the negative stuff; everyone does. Just a different experience for these kids, that is all. Everyone has a story to tell and varied experiences. I just cannot muster any outrage for this show. I am not interested in watching more either!

JMHO . . .

SURE, the entire family wanted, yearned, lusted and fantasized about being on TV, most likely. If they hadn't, then quite a few of us probably would've never known the Boo Boo clan existed, maybe. I'm not even saying that there WASN'T a family discussion about whether or not to do a TV show (I don't know; I wasn't there if/when that happened). And I'm willing to BET you that if there WAS such a discussion, EVERYBODY gave a resounding "YEAH!" to the idea.

But as for the absolute, FINAL decision to move forward? Far as I can logically come to a conclusion on that aspect of it, THAT would have been SOLELY up to the mother and/or father. So no, since the girls wouldn't have been of legal age to have entered into a contract, far as I'm concerned, the whole family did NOT make the final decision to do the show. That piece of the pie has to be eaten by Mama and/or Papa, by themselves.

And are they loving it and dealing with the negative stuff? SURE, they are. Far as I know or can recall seeing or hearing about, words to the effect of: "We are who we are. You either like us, or don't. We don't care." come directly out of Mama's mouth. So, I view that as her/their way of "dealing with the negative stuff."

Why? Because the whole clan is hollering with TLC dollas all the way to the bank.

And along the way, in exchange for their driving to the bank with those dollas, we've got HBB and family flopping in mud pits, HBB downing "GoGo Juice", Mama lettin' it rip and cuttin' the cheese on-camera, the family eating roadkill, pigs doing their business on dining room tables, and so on.

Which I don't think would be happening if a TLC contract hadn't been signed by the parents somewhere along the way.

Quid pro quo.

Yeah, June (and/or Mike) sold the whole Boo Boo clan --- and ESPECIALLY HBB --- out.

JMHO.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

Well said, ness!

According to June, signing up her family for a reality show was her way of "supporting" Alana. From the LA Times article posted upthread:

For Shannon, letting reality-TV cameras into their home was her way of supporting Alana: "She likes cameras. She likes attention. She loves being in the spotlight… As long as she enjoys doing it, we're going to keep doing it. Whenever she says, 'Mama, I'm ready to step outside the limelight,' then we will."
    How many times have we heard T&T moms say the same thing, that all the kid has to do is say "I'm done" and no more pageants. And how many viewers actually believe that? Show of hands? I thought so. Even a six year old can understand that the family is depending on the extra money from the show in which she is the "stah," ["You know, we won't be able to (fill in the blank) if you don't wanna do the show, but that's okay we'll just do without"] so I think it's unlikely Alana would want to disappoint her family by refusing to do the show.

From the Shreveport Times article:

But could Honey herself eventually be regretful, or even damaged? "Without a doubt … I think it's a form of abuse," says Mike Brody, a child psychiatrist who has written with alarm about parents putting kids on reality TV. He says most young children can't clearly discern the boundary between reality and make-believe.

"We don't have to wonder — we already have a whole literature on child stars and what happens to them. It's not a pretty picture," he says. "Don't we have enough information about Liza and Michael and Elizabeth and other former child stars? You don't have to be a child psychiatrist to figure out this doesn't make sense."
    Alana is too young to understand that the intense focus on her as a result of this show can have serious long-term effects. By the time she's old enough to understand what's happened to her, TLC will have moved on to its next freak show star, the money will be gone, and she'll have to deal with the consequences for the rest of her life.
    Last edited by MizDaisy; 08-22-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    ness, libgirl2, mushybrain and 1 others like this.

Ah I felt so sad for Alana when Glitzy the pig had to go back to the owner. I cried for Alana and Glitzy,lol
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I know, You know, Asteroids Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    What I do know is that for every house on the block, there is a different set of values/raising children for every house. I may not appove....you may. You may not approve....I'm OK with it. Sometimes I have wondered what certain people are thinking, but I think they are probably passing along what they are the most familiar with. The thinking of "It was done to/with me, and I turned out all right," is more prevalent than you think. Where I think we make mistakes is thinking that MOST children/familiies are like US, or raised like us.
    I agree on the "values" aspect. There are certain things I would never do. Pig on the table, eating roadkill, etc. But it's their choice. No harm, no foul. (Well, maybe a little foul. ) I agree that we all have different values and as long as those values don't truly do any harm, it's all good.

It's this:
    Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 from article

There's individual values and then there's proven science. Right now, being a part of pagaents and a tv show is part of her 'make-believe', I don't think she gets how 'real' it is. I hope she can come through unscathed. I hope she can discover her true talents... (it's from true talents and the development of them that children gain so much self worth.) I hope she doesn't grow up being one of those kids who sees the highlight of their life being a little pagaent girl, when it's not truly who she is.
    So often I wish some basic psychology courses were a part of the highschool curriculum. Especially child psychology... a little understanding goes a long way.

It comes down to this: Where do we draw the line. I think we would all agree that sexual abuse against children is wrong. It's against the law, though a pedophile might try to argue that it's just different "values". Is parading your kid on tv and feeding them redbull "values" or is it harmful to a child? This psychologist says it's harmful. I agree. What concerns me is that it seems many people see the harm that this will do to a small child and yet they are jumping right on board to watch this train-wreck and to encourage it. The money is winning here, not Honey Boo Boo.
    ness, MizDaisy, mushybrain and 1 others like this.

I am sorry when I see this child she loves her family and they love her just as much. I see more love and caring that HBB gets from her family than ever has been shown from Kate Gosselin to her kids or Micki Woods to Eden. The home that Alana lives in is clean,she is fed(no matter what people think of her food choices) she is most definitely loved there are so many kids who don't have it as good as Alana has it. I could care less how they are considered to be rednecks and their behavior it's none of my business.

I also love how they are pulling in 2 million viewers per episode which means more money in the home to feed and clothe the family.
    Last edited by MsDiva2007; 08-23-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    Madison_2008 likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When Honey Boo Boo says she's a "stuper-star", it cracks me up!

Last episode, when the daughter talked about why the mother didn't like to get in the mud and said "Cause she can't get up!!", I laughed until I cried watching them trying to get her up! Leave it to your kids to "out" you like that.

Once again, I say you've got to meet people where they are. These people are part of Americana, like it or not....plus they have the #1 show on television right now. When I said, a while ago, that I needed somemore Honey Boo Boo, I thought it would be the pageant HBB; never expected this show to be about her family. It was a jaw-dropping shock, but I have to admit that I've seen people like this before, so I was probably better off than most viewers.

I think it was smart of them to recognize that they needed to give up the pig. At least they could see that it was in the best interest of the pig.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 08-23-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    MsDiva2007 and Madison_2008 like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I am sorry when I see this child she loves her family and they love her just as much. I see more love and caring that HBB gets from her family than ever has been shown from Kate Gosselin to her kids or Micki Woods to Eden. The home that Alana lives in is clean,she is fed(no matter what people think of her food choices) she is most definitely loved there are so many kids who don't have it as good as Alana has it. I could care less how they are considered to be rednecks and their behavior it's none of my business.

I also love how they are pulling in 2 million viewers per episode which means more money in the home to feed and clothe the family.
    I finally saw the pig !! I haven't watched the show, but ET or one of those shows said Social Services was called to the house, and found it all to be okay.They then showed the little pig( he's cute)
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I don't see this as an issue of people cavalierly believing that their own values are the best. The criticisms surrounding putting children on reality shows go far beyond merely judging another person's parenting style. The criticisms come from understanding that stripping a child of privacy and exposing him/her to the world to be judged can cause a child extreme physical, psychological and emotional harm. These children are being judged for being themselves, not for playing some character. These children are often asked to behave in ways that are manufactured to forward particular story lines, which skews their “reality.”

This is also not an issue of whether the Boo Boo parents love their children. People who love their children very much are still capable of making poor decisions (often due to ignorance or greed) that are harmful to their children. All evidence supports the fact that exploiting children is harmful. (If anyone wants proof, just ask the surviving Dionne quintuplets, or take a look at clips of the Balloon Boy’s distress before the hoax was uncovered, or read about the two Gosselin children who were expelled from kindergarten because of anger issues.)

Some will argue that Honey Boo Boo just loves the attention and loves to be on camera. It is a weak argument. A parent wouldn’t allow a child to eat only candy all day long because the child says she loves candy. Parents know that that wouldn’t be healthy. But children need to be taught such things. And those are the simple lessons. How can anyone think that a child is capable of understanding the incredibly complex and serious ramifications of being on reality TV?

This will not end well for Honey Boo Boo. This little girl will be the brunt of jokes. She will be bullied. She will be judged and ridiculed, and disgusting people will say despicable things about her. TLC will drain every last drop of privacy and dignity from that family, and then dump them when the profit line goes bad. TLC will then move on to the next family they can exploit to pad their pockets. And little Boo Boo will be left feeling rejected and wondering why the world is making fun of her or doesn’t love her anymore. It is a crime.
    AJane, ness, libgirl2 and 9 others like this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    This will not end well for Honey Boo Boo. This little girl will be the brunt of jokes. She will be bullied. She will be judged and ridiculed, and disgusting people will say despicable things about her. TLC will drain every last drop of privacy and dignity from that family, and then dump them when the profit line goes bad. TLC will then move on to the next family they can exploit to pad their pockets. And little Boo Boo will be left feeling rejected and wondering why the world is making fun of her or doesn’t love her anymore. It is a crime.
    And she didn't choose this, the parents did. I wonder how the Gosselin children are really doing. The camera is gone, their parents raked over the coals... it can't be easy. As you say, TLC moves on to the next family....
    ness, MizDaisy, spockwhat and 2 others like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread