+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree611Likes

Thread: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    DH and I watch reruns of the Waltons on a nearly daily basis.
    I watch Leave It To Beaver everyday!

I learned, a very long time ago, that all kinds of people are in this world. It's a real eye-opener, and a whole different kind of education. You get to the point where you just take all of these differences/extremes in stride.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post

JMHO, but if June Thompson is being "virtually stoned" right now about her parenting style and choices, then so be it. She's the one who opened the door for the "virtual stoning".

BTW, to correct my earlier post . . .

It's June SHANNON, NOT Thompson!

My bad.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

If anyone watched the show they would know that mom is working on getting their weight down. She along with two of the older girls is on a diet and weight themselves on screen. Of course the pregnant daughter is not on the diet. Mom and one of the daughters has already lost some weight. As far as the pig on the table, does anyone have cats? Do you allow your cats on the counters or table? What happens when one of the cats sprays the counter or table or anything else in the house? Does it get turned into trash and then immediately you go out and buy a new one? What happens when a baby's diaper leaks on the table? Do you trash the table then? Or do you clean it up really well and move on? This family may be low class or no class to some folks but at least they love one another and take care of one another. I'd rather have that any day of the week instead of some "high class" family that ignore each other, beat each other, etc. Mom has fun with her kids. The kids have fun with each other and their mom. They go to school, even the pregnant daughter. Speaking of the pregnant daughter, it isn't just the low class or no class that has kids having kids. Think about Sarah Palin. Is she also low class or no class? No matter what one thinks of her politics, she is supposed to be a loving mother and yet her oldest daughter was a teenage mom. Guess we need to throw virtual stones at her as well. Let's also make room for all of the other mothers that have their children on tv. Toddlers and Tiara moms, the Dance Moms, the Real Housewife moms, ANY mom that has their children on a reality show. At least make it fair.

Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1 View Post
    If anyone watched the show they would know that mom is working on getting their weight down. She along with two of the older girls is on a diet and weight themselves on screen. Of course the pregnant daughter is not on the diet. Mom and one of the daughters has already lost some weight. As far as the pig on the table, does anyone have cats? Do you allow your cats on the counters or table? What happens when one of the cats sprays the counter or table or anything else in the house? Does it get turned into trash and then immediately you go out and buy a new one? What happens when a baby's diaper leaks on the table? Do you trash the table then? Or do you clean it up really well and move on? This family may be low class or no class to some folks but at least they love one another and take care of one another. I'd rather have that any day of the week instead of some "high class" family that ignore each other, beat each other, etc. Mom has fun with her kids. The kids have fun with each other and their mom. They go to school, even the pregnant daughter. Speaking of the pregnant daughter, it isn't just the low class or no class that has kids having kids. Think about Sarah Palin. Is she also low class or no class? No matter what one thinks of her politics, she is supposed to be a loving mother and yet her oldest daughter was a teenage mom. Guess we need to throw virtual stones at her as well. Let's also make room for all of the other mothers that have their children on tv. Toddlers and Tiara moms, the Dance Moms, the Real Housewife moms, ANY mom that has their children on a reality show. At least make it fair.

Nope. From the outset, just seeing the clips and promos for this show, I said I'd not be watching.

And I haven't.

I think just a short amount of time has proven right for me in CHOOSING to NOT watch this show because the Boo Boo clan is being talked about all over this country --- AND in others, BTW. And, bluntly, the majority of that commentary is NOT GOOD.

Frankly, even if you don't run across stories on the Net to read about them and their antics as you're browsing around, you can have a TV newscast on, and chances are pretty good that sooner or later, a story about this family is going to pop up. Change the channel? Sure! But trust me when I tell you, another story is just around the corner SOMEWHERE if your TV is on. Or, there are always clips and promos playing, which is how I tumbled to this show in the first place.

Virtual stone throwing at other TV moms?

Definitely. Look anywhere in this forum, or on the Net. The Duggars, Kate Gosselin, the European and American Gypsy Wedding clans, Bristol Palin, Teresa from RHONJ, the T&T or Dance Moms? Every last one of those I've listed --- and a whole lot more that I DIDN'T --- have received their fair share of supportive, and non-supportive commentary about their lifestyles.

In 99.9% of these cases, I'd say, to be fair, they CHOOSE to put their business out there by going on TV.

And in 100% of OUR cases, if we choose to comment on what we see and/or hear about directly or indirectly --- good, bad (i.e., throw virtual stones, if you will), or indifferent --- on what is presented to us through nationally-televised and Internet venues, then that is OUR choice.

And that's all good, too, because we're allowed to exercise that choice to comment, should we wish to.

Punkin, pikachu, spockwhat and 1 others like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

To add to what ness said, not only is the throwing the stones across the board fair, it's necessary.

It's important that people know that we still care about how kids are raised. It is important to take a stand against poor parenting and to champion the children affected by it. It's so easy to build a kid up. (Feed them well, teach them values and respect for themselves and others). It's so very difficult to fix another screwed up adult.
    Most importantly, even if nothing changes, KIDS need to see that we care. We demand respect from our children, but how do we gain it by sitting back and laughing at a family that treats their kids like objects, feeds them wrong, and uses them for money? Those people don't earn that respect.
    And, frankly, it throws our kids off kilter. They will always need to know there are adults out there who are care enough to stand up and say something on their behalf.
    Those stone throwers aren't just attacking, they're protecting.
    Punkin, pikachu, ness and 3 others like this.

Am I the only one that's so afraid they are going to eat "Glitzy" the little piggy!
    Retsin1 and Prism like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    . . . not only is the throwing the stones across the board fair, it's necessary.

It's important that people know that we still care about how kids are raised. It is important to take a stand against poor parenting and to champion the children affected by it. It's so easy to build a kid up. (Feed them well, teach them values and respect for themselves and others). It's so very difficult to fix another screwed up adult.
    Most importantly, even if nothing changes, KIDS need to see that we care. We demand respect from our children, but how do we gain it by sitting back and laughing at a family that treats their kids like objects, feeds them wrong, and uses them for money? Those people don't earn that respect.
    And, frankly, it throws our kids off kilter. They will always need to know there are adults out there who are care enough to stand up and say something on their behalf.
    Those stone throwers aren't just attacking, they're protecting.

ABSOLUTELY agreed!

EXCELLENT post!
    Prism likes this.

I freely admit that I will wholly criticize (i.e., throw stones at) any parent (mother or father or both) who chooses to exploit their children on reality TV for money. I don't care if the family is considered high class, low class or no class. It doesn't matter if the family seems to be really loving. I find anyone selling their children's lives abhorrent in all regards. These kids are not actors playing made-up characters. These kids have no say in keeping their private moments private. These kids are being judged by strangers because of how they are portrayed on a TV show, whether that portrayal is completely accurate or not. In almost every state, these kids (unlike child actors) have no legal rights regarding monies earned, set teachers, and working conditions, including the number of hours they are allowed to work in a day. It is despicable. So judge away I will.
    Punkin, ness, Prism and 1 others like this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1 View Post
    Think about Sarah Palin. Is she also low class or no class?
    IMO? Yes. Yes, she is. Loving your child doesn't miraculously give you class. Class has to do with how you speak to and about people and comport yourself in public, among other things. Among the many adjectives that could be used to describe Sarah Palin, I don't think "classy" is one of them.

The difference between a cat spraying on a table (never had that happen ever in 30+ years of cat ownership, btw) and that pig is that the pig didn't get up on the table by itself....unless there's something about that pig I don't know. Frankly, I don't think ANY pig belongs in the house, not even the pot-bellied ones. I had a boyfriend who owned one and that thing was "box trained," which meant it used the box about half the time. It was a sweet animal, but not in the house.

One of the basic rules on this site is that reality show participants are fair game for any and all comments. No fairness required
    Punkin, ness, Prism and 3 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by elleprn View Post
    Am I the only one that's so afraid they are going to eat "Glitzy" the little piggy!
    I've also had a terrible feeling that they'll eat the pig at some point. They'll run low on money, won't be able to sell the pig as a pet, won't consider a shelter, and they'll just kill it. It makes me sad. These people are so depraved.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

+ Reply to Thread