+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
Like Tree924Likes

Thread: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    As other reality show participants have discovered::cough::Gosselins:: cough:: when the notoriety goes away, so does the audience.
    And the $$$$$.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I'm with you. I miss the Cleavers, the Nelsons, the Partridges, the Bradys. Were parts of those shows a bit corny? Maybe. Is corn healthier than pig poop? YEP!
    DH and I watch reruns of the Waltons on a nearly daily basis.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Poppy, my life growing up was NOTHING like the shows we've mentioned as what we miss. But they taught me that there is a BETTER way to live than the dysfunction that surrounded me.

I wonder what people learn from Honey Boo Boo's family? "See, Mom, it's OKAY for the pig to poop on the table! Honey Boo Boo's mom wasn't upset!" (I, on the other hand would have turned that table into kindling and gone out to buy a new one.)
    karalott and libgirl2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    DH and I watch reruns of the Waltons on a nearly daily basis.
    While I enjoy a good juicy show or a comedy, I watch Little House and Doctor Quinn too. Why can one be entertained with a good story? Why does it have to be laughing at ignorant or outrageous people?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    When I originally watched I expected to be so highly upset, I was surprised my only issue is the gogo juice! I don't find them to be low class, IMO class has no level. I know some so called high class people with low class tendencies,see any Real Housewives series. Heck check your own neighbors.!!

Yes they have bad eating habits so does half of America this is why we have so many overweight kids. My girlfriends and I remember growing up and making our own slip n slides.so nothing wrong with that. Yes sometimes the kids can be rude, again so are a lot of kids nothing different.

What I did find is these kids love their mom and sugar bear. The family enjoys each other's company and they have fun. the things this family does may not fit the high brow values of others but it works for them and they are happy so why should it bother me?

June has lots of issues but loving her kids and teaching them to be comfortable with who they are is not one or them. June has found a man who is willing to work two jobs 7 days a week for her and her girls. I really was shocked to find that with all of my refined and fine tastes I am able to see that these people are human and do have some traits that are not that unusual.

I just want to send Sugar Bear on a vacation he works way too hard.
    Did I saw "low class"? I meant NO class. I'm not talking about socio-economics here - I'm talking about behavior. The way these people behave is the issue. Sorry, but I don't choose to watch people who are ignorant, can't speak with even remotely proper grammar and who seem to revel in their baseness. Other posters have detailed their behavior. I don't think anyone can argue that they way these people behave could be defined as classy. Doesn't mean I think they're not human. It means I don't think they should be on TV AND I don't care to watch them.

June is teaching those kids to be comfortable with their bodies to the point that one of them is pregnant, right? Maybe a lesson in proper public behavior and self-respect would be in order. Sorry I don't find anything admirable about these people.

I didn't even watch the Gosselins because I didn't like how she spoke to her husband. This is a whole 'nother level of horrible. I just find the whole thing pathetic and sad.
    karalott, ness, libgirl2 and 3 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was posting on the RHONJ thread and ness happened to mention this show. I'd never heard about it, so she suggested I look through the thread.
    I did go through it. I've never seen Tiaras and Toddlers or any of the latest TLC samplings. Haven't watched the channel since Trading Spaces and What Not to Wear.
    I did go ahead and look the Boo Boo girl up online. She looked like a beautiful little doll when she was all dressed up. I was surprised to see how she looked without the makeup. But, then, that's probably why they put all that makeup on. I've still not watched the show. Not sure that I'm ready for it.
    Surprisingly enough when I was reading the Sunday Times today, they had an article on this show. Really good article.

Virtual stoning of Honey Boo Boo's mom is ridiculous: Perspective - latimes.com
    sclilred1 likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I agree with the article. Ymmv
    sclilred1 and NEPASue like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have not seen the show yet..makes me laugh that there are already ten pages of comments
    You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    I have not seen the show yet..makes me laugh that there are already ten pages of comments
    Wow, you must have your comments per page set really low!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks for the link, noreality!

In the sense that Ada Calhoun's article presents another viewpoint on the HBB juggernaut, it IS good.

I remember one of the things she said in her article was that HBB's mom really loves her, and the family loves each other (or words to that effect).

Even in this thread, while some have admitted watching this show and T&T (I can't say I've watched either), and liking neither one (IIRC), there are also even-handed appraisals here in those same posts that indicate that June really does seem to love HBB and all her family, for that matter.

BUT . . .

I think, in my humble estimation, the train goes off the tracks with this show (and T&T), June, HBB and the rest of the clan with a lot of people when:

1. HBB is apparently shown being tanked up by Mama Boo on Pixie Stix, and/or a mixture of Red Bull and Mountain Dew to make her "perform" better in pageants. Let me put it this way . . . I've had grown MEN tell me they couldn't drink Red Bull because it sent them straight through the roof, and they couldn't handle it. Grown. MEN. This child is, what, six years old? How is that to be construed as good parenting, I wonder?

2. I seem to remember posts here that indicate the child is already overweight. And, yep, she sure looked like it to me when I happened to see promos and clips advertising the show, I have to admit. So, for BREAKFAST, this loving mother allows this child to eat CHEESE PUFFS? So, since she's ALREADY overweight (at SIX YEARS OLD!), how much more weight will she pile on in the coming years, eating like this? How can Ms. Calhoun equate this scenario with good parenting, in ANY universe, or mind set?

3. Ms. Calhoun says in her article that June seems to enjoy her chalk-miner husband? Hmmm. Last I heard/read, although they've been together eight years, Sugar Bear Boo Boo is NOT married to Mama Boo Boo. Maybe she should've checked that out before she printed that statement?

4. And I suppose that Ms. Calhoun thinks it's an example of good parenting on June's part to have HBB "holla for dollas" while standing on a table (or bar?) in an establishment that sells liquor? A six-year-old child?

5. And let's not even bring up the pig and the dining room table.

And so on, and so forth.

JMHO, but if June Thompson is being "virtually stoned" right now about her parenting style and choices, then so be it. She's the one who opened the door for the "virtual stoning".
    Punkin, libgirl2, Critical and 3 others like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread