+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree566Likes

Thread: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

I stand with Phil, but I am not surprised or upset really with A&E's decision. For now, in the middle of duck season, saying Phil will not be included in filming doesn't yet have a real effect. I had wondered how the rest of the family would go on with the show when the time comes to resume filming; their latest statement (The Robertson Family Official Statement | Duck Commander) sounds as if they my not go on if negotiations with A&E allow. If that's the case, I'm impressed. Duck Commander and the Robertsons will be fine without their show.
    As for the interview, I didn't realize Duck Dynasty and GQ had much in common as far as sharing audiences!
    remember to play

But, why do you stand with someone who makes blatantly racist and homophobic statements?
    Punkin, prhoshay, Lil Bit and 4 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I've never seen this show and never will because I have no interest in watching a bunch of ignorant, narrow-minded hillbillies who shoot ducks. The man has the right to say whatever he wants, and his employer has the right to get rid of him for espousing bigotry and prejudice. However, what did A&E expect when they decided to feature this grimy bunch for entertainment value? It was just a matter of time before one or more of them would publicly express exactly how they think and who they are. How about just not featuring these dumbass types on TV (and that goes for others besides this clan), and how about not encouraging them by making them "stars" and leading them to believe their opinions are worth anything?
    Punkin, Lil Bit, JavaJo and 1 others like this.

Phil didn't make his statements on the show or as a representative of A&E. The show & A&E have editing rights to make sure of that. It was done in an interview. He was asked his opinion. He gave it, warts & all.

I am Religious, a Christian, & go to Church every Sunday, but I'm a far, far cry from an adherant of the Religious Right & their, what I feel, extremist "anti" views. But they have a right to their views, nomatter how different they are from mine. They shouldn't have to hide their views or be afraid to admit them just because they don't fit with the Liberal Media.

Religion is supposed to be about "love thy neighbor" & belief, trust & faith in God. Wanting everyone to be welcome & accepting of God's love. Somehow, some people decided to make it about judgementalism, but it's not. And yes, there is Religious persecution & judgementalism directed to those who are religious. I see it every day. For cryin' out loud, even the word "Christmas" is being frowned upon because the name of the day has the word "Christ" in it. As if the word & name of the day will harm someone.

Phil Robertson didn't advocate any violence or harm or hate against gays. He just stated, crudely & tactlessly, that he finds their actions morally wrong. It bothers me that someone would say stuff like this, in this day & age, but we are all entitled to have our own opinion.
    There are things in society that I find morally wrong too, but are widely accepted. That bothers me. But it doesn't mean I hate those people or want any harm whatsoever to come to them. We just don't see eye to eye. I accept that.

Ultimately, if viewers find Phil completely offensive because of this, they won't watch the show or anything else he does or says, kind of like I do with Miley Cyrus. When & if the ratings plummet, then A&E has the reason to pull the plug on the show & tell them "You did it to yourself".
    Until then, they are just posturing & trying to appease the Liberal Media.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

GREAT post, Miss Scarlet. Amen!
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    But, why do you stand with someone who makes blatantly racist and homophobic statements?
    Very interesting question. I like the way it is phrased.

I have a dear friend whom I can ask a question similar to that, but I won't get an answer, and I don't understand why. I don't get where she is coming from and I am just asking to understand. I am not looking to attack her....just understand what leads her to certain conclusions.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 12-20-2013 at 03:19 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Because people are up in arms because of an opinion. Not to mention what he said wasnt said in a hateful nasty way. Again, hes not acting out on these. He said and explained why he feels that way. Why do people feel that when they are offended they can demand apologies and actions? Paula Dean says the N-word behind closed doors 20 years ago and the NAACP goes nuts about it and gets her thrown off the air. Why is that ok? Why is it ok for these groups to ruin peoples lives over mistakes or an opinion?

You know how A&E should gauge the reactions? By keeping the show on the air and seeing what happens. Its when these companies cave to the interest groups that put BS pressure on them by threatening to boycott. Im willing to be 90% of the people who watch the show will continue to watch despite any threats. The people who are bitching and whining are probably not the ones who will affect the A&E or DD line in anyway.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Whether or not what he said was said "in a hateful nasty way" probably depends on whose ears you are hearing it through. Some things are just historical. Some people have been offended over and over and over again and maybe they have had enough. That goes for this man, Paula Deen, and whomever else. Is it "these groups" who have ruined peoples' lives or is it the people, themselves?

BS? I think not. I can't feel sorry for people who have not progressed when a lot of the country has.
    chrisg and law638 like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22 View Post
    Because people are up in arms because of an opinion. Not to mention what he said wasnt said in a hateful nasty way. Again, hes not acting out on these. He said and explained why he feels that way. Why do people feel that when they are offended they can demand apologies and actions? Paula Dean says the N-word behind closed doors 20 years ago and the NAACP goes nuts about it and gets her thrown off the air. Why is that ok? Why is it ok for these groups to ruin peoples lives over mistakes or an opinion?

You know how A&E should gauge the reactions? By keeping the show on the air and seeing what happens. Its when these companies cave to the interest groups that put BS pressure on them by threatening to boycott. Im willing to be 90% of the people who watch the show will continue to watch despite any threats. The people who are bitching and whining are probably not the ones who will affect the A&E or DD line in anyway.
    Good post, plus A&E knew what this guy was like all along Phil Robertson Publicly Bashed Gays for Years -- A&E Knew All About It | TMZ.com
    angelic_one2002 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Very interesting question. I like the way it is phrased.

I have a dear friend whom I can ask a question similar to that, but I won't get an answer, and I don't understand why. I don't get where she is coming from and I am just asking to understand. I am not looking to attack her....just understand what leads her to certain conclusions.
    With all due respect, if you are asking your friend the question in that same fashion, then the question itself is an attack. You said later in the thread that whether or not Phil's comments were hateful depends on who hears it. The same is true of calling someone racist and/or homophobic.

The reality is that shaming people into not expressing an opinion has become a political tactic of control. Saul Alinsky instructs people to do it as an "ends justifies the means' approach to get what you want. Rather than arguing a point of view, you make the opposing point of view appear so undesirable that no one wants to associate with it. Don't debate -- label someone as hateful. They won't want to be seen as hateful, so the hope is they will just shut up.

George Orwell warns of such an approach in 1984. While in that novel it's done in a more organized fashion, the tactic is the same -- let a group in power determine what everyone must think, make it socially unacceptable to think anything else, and watch people fall in place out of a fear of being socially shunned.

As I said in my previous post in this thread, there was a time in my life that I thought SOME of the things that Phil thinks. My mind changed. It did not change because of people who called me names and convinced me I was hateful. That would have never worked, because I know who I am. My mind was changed because of thoughtful people who shared an intelligent point of view with me and persuaded me.

If you truly want to understand, I'd suggest asking your friend a question such as "what is your basis for thinking that" and then respond to what is said. Throw in words like homophobe, and defenses instantly go up, and ears get shut.

+ Reply to Thread