+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree566Likes

Thread: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

I think I am very bothered by the realization that they are spreading their poison to their children.

Westboro Baptist Church- South?
    Punkin, GabbyG and law638 like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

WBC are Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I believe he has the right to say whatever he wants. I also believe A&E has the right to NOT want him on their show because of what he says.
    I agree. I also agree with those that think freedom of speech is fine, and that A&E wont be on their screens
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22 View Post
    A&e didn't remove him from the show because THEY didn't like what he said. They did it because once again special interest groups threatened boycotts and what not and they were pressured into it. This country has turned into a bunch of whiney cry babies who moan every time their feelings are hurt.

What he said was dumb and narrow minded. It's his choice to believe it. He's not a law maker or someone who's going to stop gay marriage. He's a dumb hillbillies who makes duck whistles. Why don't people put things into perspective before flipping out. I mean, had this interview been released and a big deal wasn't made about this how many people so you think would have 1. Read it and 2. Been outraged?
    100 likes!!!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Well, the "story" made the national ABC news.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Like many posters here, I believe Phil has the right to believe whatever he chooses to believe. He also has the right to state what he believes when asked, like GQ did. He is not saying that everyone has to believe what he believes.
    It upsets me that no one anymore can have a different view....that everyone has to think exactly the same or else they are treated like pariahs. This world is made of people with many differing opinions.
    It is up to each individual to decide whether they agree or disagree but that doesn't mean they are monsters.
    I understand A & E deciding that this is not what they want to broadcast. But shame on anyone who vilifies a person because their opinion is different than ours. What kind of world would we live in if we all were made to have the same opinion?
    Believe what you want to believe and don't try to force your opinion on others. If you don't like his beliefs, then don't watch him.
    (just to clarify, I'm using the word "they" and "you" meaning anyone....not referring to people here)
    holly71, karalott, captain and 5 others like this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

A&e didn't remove him from the show because THEY didn't like what he said. They did it because once again special interest groups threatened boycotts and what not and they were pressured into it.
    I guess I gotta agree with this. The channel, knowing there are so many people out there that would take offense to Phil's comments, didn't want to look bad by keeping him on.

It upsets me that no one anymore can have a different view....that everyone has to think exactly the same or else they are treated like pariahs. This world is made of people with many differing opinions.
    Opinions are fine as long as they don't hurt other people... which I'd say his did. Some views I'm just not going to accept.
    Punkin likes this.

If people want to claim homophobia is a Christian value then fine. That's horrifying, but whatever. What about his assertions that blacks were happier during Jim Crow? How is that Christian? Because, YAY! Lynchings! He's a jackass who needs some education. I wouldn't want him on my network either.

Ultimately, TV is about making money. If someone on a network show is behaving in a way that's going to lose the network money, then they're well within their rights to get rid of the person.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    It upsets me that no one anymore can have a different view....that everyone has to think exactly the same or else they are treated like pariahs.
    Even when the person's views are blatantly racist and homophobic? Should we really just not say anything? Is ignorance allowed to masquerade as a valid opinion now?
    Last edited by Critical; 12-20-2013 at 03:06 AM.
    Punkin, Miss_Griss, Rattus and 6 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

First, let me say I agree with those that have said this controversy is not about rights. It has nothing to do with the right to free speech or the right to run your own network. But it IS about doing what IS right on both sides.

As a Christian, I completely disagree with the comments Phil made about homosexuality and sin. I hate seeing people express such views because I believe that it sends a false message to gay people that they are not welcome in the church. I cannot think of anything more damaging to the glory of God than to turn anyone away from having a personal relationship with God. I think the Jim Crow comments he made are perhaps even more disturbing and founded in ignorance than the comments about gay people.

That said, I think that A&E is dead wrong to suspend him. It is a reflection of the knee jerk, thought-free world we live in today, and that concerns me tremendously. From an audience standpoint, intelligent people have the ability to separate a point of view from entertainment. I disagree with Alec Baldwin tremendously, but I think that his performances on 30 Rock, SNL, and Glengarry Glen Ross are brillant. I did not agree with Bruce Springsteen's support of John Kerry when he ran for president, but I think he's a brillant musician. It is very possible for intelligent people to disagree with some beliefs and still appreciate the work they do and/or the people who they are. A&E also has the power to edit the show so that views they don't Phil to express won't ever appear on the show.

I think that the only way that we advance as a society is to share ideas, and work to understand each other. Phil's comments came from ignorance. Rather than talking to black people he worked with to understand their experiences, he made observations, drew conclusions and declared himself right. Rather than seeking to undertand why gay people are attracted to who they are, he decided that he persoally would not be turned on in that way an declared himself to be right. I'm sorry, but it must be said -- when people endorse the idea of pushing him off a network because of things he's said, or calling him names and dismissing him as hateful, the same thing is being done. There is no attempt at all to share ideas, understand and persuade each other. There is no thinking involved. It's merel people patting themselves on the back, insisting they are right, and embracing ignorance.

I guess t comes down to a question of whether the motivtion is self-congratulations or bringing about change. I will admit that there was a time in my life where my views on homosexuality were similar to Phil's. I believed that it was unnatural until I attended a class at my church where my pastor explained his thinking on why it was God's intent. I considered the points made, and it changed my mind I believed it was a sin until I attended a bible study at another church where a man examined the bible passages and their context. I considered the points made and changed my mind. I thought that biblically, marriage should be between a man and a woman until it was pointed out to me that the bible also promotes the notion that marriage is an exchange of property ... the woman being the property. I realized that the definition of marriage we embrace from the bible is about love and uniting a family -- not gender or property and I changed my mind.

Yes, we have a "right" to avoid things we disagree with and don't want to hear. But I think we need to ask if we ar individually and as a collective best served by that approach. Whether it's the Dixie Chicks, Don Imus, Martin Bashir, Alec Baldwin or Phil from Duck Dynasty, I do not think we are a better society when employers tell public figures to be who they are and express it ... until people are mad and the we are going to cut and run.

I think there are a few more "offensive" people that are on television and more TV shows with a lot of of vulgarity that need a bit more attention on the air waves that could be focused on instead of pulling Phil Robertson off for answering a question in an interview.
    holly71, taracran, mom2 and 5 others like this.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

+ Reply to Thread