+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree566Likes

Thread: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

I saw a statement by Bobby Jindal, Governor of Lousiana (who I usually don't agree with). In it he said:
    “I don’t agree with quite a bit of stuff I read in magazine interviews or see on TV. In fact, come to think of it, I find a good bit of it offensive,” Jindal said. “But I also acknowledge that this is a free country and everyone is entitled to express their views. In fact, I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment. It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended.”

I agree with Mr Jindal completely.
    What Phil Robertson said made me cringe. I don't like or agree with his views, but they're his views and they come from his religious beliefs. There are a lot of things going on in society that make me cringe, but are accepted behavior. I don't see any of these other people being publically censured. That's because what they do or say isn't a "cause celebre" like gay rights.
    karalott, Photobabe and sparklete like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Hate and judgment just never strike me as a good thing. Mix those with religious beliefs, and you've got an ugly mess on your hands.
    Punkin, GabbyG, tapper01 and 1 others like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I referred to myself in the past as anti-religious. Why? This is exactly why.
    Punkin and Lil Bit like this.

further, he quoted from Leviticus...but he must have missed the part about not eating shell fish or meat from uncloven hooves (pork) because they do that all the time. If he is going to "live from the Bible" he can't pick and choose which parts and then bitch because of it.
    Punkin, prhoshay and TripleGemini like this.

I've found that people whining about his right to free speech are the ones who agree with him. He absolutely does have the right to free speech. That right doesn't come without consequences and he just got some. He's not been imprisoned. He isn't being prosecuted. He just got cut from his silly reality show, which is aired on a network that is not publicly owned and whose owners can give anyone the axe whenever they choose.

I read a comment on another site about how Sarah Palin is crying about Phil's rights to free speech. I didn't see her calling for Martin Bashir to have the same rights a few weeks ago. Hypocrite.

I'm SO sick of people complaining about Christian persecution. It's imaginary and the people who complain about it seem to be upset because they aren't running absolutely everything now. It's how people who shout about freedom of religion only seem to mean their own religion. I'm so sick of the over-the-top ignorant hyperbole. It seems that lately everyone is being persecuted and everything is just as bad as Nazi Germany

I know plenty of people who consider themselves to be good Christians and they certainly don't spout the racist homophobic b.s that this guy does. His family might love him and vice versa, but he's a bigot, plain and simple.
    Punkin, prhoshay, pikachu and 6 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, I wish I could like this a thousand times. It is EXACTLY spot on!
    Punkin likes this.

I have never watched Duck Dynasty, nor do I never intend to watch it and wouldn't recognize him at all. I fully support gay marriage or any other form of marriage or the right to choose not to marry. Frankly I don't believe it's any business of government as to who should and shouldn't be allowed to marry.

My only concern with this is the unending demand for firings or boycotts or such unless they are advocating physical harm to others. My reasoning is that for those who believe in rights for all don't need convincing. Those who believe differently will not have their minds changed by trying to force it. I think it will only reinforce their bigotry. I hate to see these causes slowed or halted in this way. JMO
    karalott and JohnnyK like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I don't believe what he said was right( not at all) I believe he had the right to say it. I am not a Christian, I don't read the bible or go to church.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I believe he has the right to say whatever he wants. I also believe A&E has the right to NOT want him on their show because of what he says.
    prhoshay, Lil Bit, pikachu and 4 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

A&e didn't remove him from the show because THEY didn't like what he said. They did it because once again special interest groups threatened boycotts and what not and they were pressured into it. This country has turned into a bunch of whiney cry babies who moan every time their feelings are hurt.

What he said was dumb and narrow minded. It's his choice to believe it. He's not a law maker or someone who's going to stop gay marriage. He's a dumb hillbillies who makes duck whistles. Why don't people put things into perspective before flipping out. I mean, had this interview been released and a big deal wasn't made about this how many people so you think would have 1. Read it and 2. Been outraged?

+ Reply to Thread