+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree566Likes

Thread: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Quote Originally Posted by dreamonia View Post
    to each their own on the Phil debate....
    Sorry, I have to take issue with that. Opting to wear camouflage and a long beard is to each his own. He took it to another level.

It's fine if some teen marriages work out, but anecdotal evidence isn't proof it's generally a great idea. The statistics are horrendous. I don't know any parent who would permit their teenager to marry. This isn't a to-each-his-own thing either, IMO, because the societal fallout from failed teen marriage - and teen pregnancy, since the two are definitely connected - affects everyone.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Statistics show that those who share a strong religious faith tend to have longer, happier marriages. Lots of studies have shown this to be true. Other than our shared religious commitment, we were in all the statistical ranges that showed our marriage would fail (too young, married too quickly, etc.). I agree that, generally speaking, marrying very young is not the best option, but it's impossible to ignore the statistics on the religious influence which Phil and Kay, and my husband and I know to be true for us.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    I married at 17 too and have been married 42 years. The older generations did marry at very young ages.
    Not necessarily. My mother married in 1942 when she was 31.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Not necessarily. My mother married in 1942 when she was 31.
    Ii didn't say they all did but a lot of them did.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

In the days when lifespans were lucky to stretch to 60 years, marrying young and having large families insured survival of the family. That many in the past had stronger religious expressions than we do in the information age also kept the family unit whole. A general statement with many exceptions, I'm sure, but living in the "up to the minute" "right now" "speed up" frantic age we now experience makes the slower life of earlier generations seem wrong somehow.

I'm thankful that our lifespans can now reach 80 and above and we have options in belief and expressions of faith.
    Punkin, dreamonia and Muppet Legs like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Kiz

The median age of first marriage has fluctuated quite a bit over the last 100+ years. Surprisingly, at least to me, the median age of marriage for men in the late 1800s was 26, which is close to the current age of first marriage. I always thought those old westerns (Bonanza/Big Valley) were unrealistic with all those unmarried sons in their 20s, but I guess not so much.

Median Age at First Marriage, 1890–2010 | Infoplease.com

Year Males Females
    1890 26.1 22.0
    1900 25.9 21.9
    1910 25.1 21.6
    1920 24.6 21.2
    1930 24.3 21.3
    1940 24.3 21.5
    1950 22.8 20.3
    1960 22.8 20.3
    1970 23.2 20.8
    1980 24.7 22.0
    1990 26.1 23.9
    2000 26.8 25.1
    2010 28.2 26.1

When Kay and Phil were married, the median age of first marriage was at its lowest in the last 100+ years. They were obviously far on the young side, but for anyone who has read his book, he goes into some detail as to why they ended up marrying so young. He also goes on to describe the years that he was far less than a honorable husband, man and father. He completely turned his life around with the help of Kay and their church.
    holly71 and AZChristian like this.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Everyone please limit your replies to your own opinions, questions and citations -- do not go after each other for what they post.
    Muppet Legs likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    Same here! Reading some of the comments here recently, by people who haven't followed this show or the family until all the manufactured outrage hit, reminded me of watching DD for the first time. My husband had tuned in, and explained they were a family in LA made rich off of duck calls. It sounded so silly that I sat down to watch a bit. I developed an immediate crush on Jase ( ), and grew to like the whole cast.
    You are so right about not taking anyone for a fool just because they happen to seem a little hillbilly-ish on first glance. This show helps introduce a different culture/way of life to those who may not travel enough to know otherwise. I appreciate their values of family and to "love God, love each other, and try to be good" that comes through in each episode.
    Jase is my favorite too! He's so deadpan...cracks me right up!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    In the days when lifespans were lucky to stretch to 60 years, marrying young and having large families insured survival of the family. That many in the past had stronger religious expressions than we do in the information age also kept the family unit whole. A general statement with many exceptions, I'm sure, but living in the "up to the minute" "right now" "speed up" frantic age we now experience makes the slower life of earlier generations seem wrong somehow.

I'm thankful that our lifespans can now reach 80 and above and we have options in belief and expressions of faith.
    I suppose, maybe, I'm thankful for expanded lifespans, but what does that have to do with belief and expressions of faith?

If anything, I figure you're more likely to be believing earlier on, before reality and cynicism sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Sorry, I have to take issue with that. Opting to wear camouflage and a long beard is to each his own. He took it to another level.

It's fine if some teen marriages work out, but anecdotal evidence isn't proof it's generally a great idea. The statistics are horrendous. I don't know any parent who would permit their teenager to marry. This isn't a to-each-his-own thing either, IMO, because the societal fallout from failed teen marriage - and teen pregnancy, since the two are definitely connected - affects everyone.
    What you say has merit. But it isn't universal.

I know teen marriages that have lasted. Enough to suggest that ALL will? NO. Decidedly NO. Doesn't mean you toss the notion to the curb as a matter of course, though.

Of course, some will. Statistically they are probably right. But were're not speaking statistics here though, right, we're speaking humans. I'm applauding those jack-assesses who go their own route against the tide and survive, rather than stepping up lively to point out those who fail.

Statistically, you're more prone to failure if you mate up early. Doesn't brand you as a failure in my book if you do so.
    nennie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread