+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree566Likes

Thread: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

More corporate cowardice -- maybe corporations will learn not to open their mouths on political/social issues in the first place. If they just shut up and tried to serve their customers without moral/political judgment, they wouldn't have to worry so much about boycotts and internet aggression.

Hear that, Papa Johns? Chik-Fil-A? Dominos? Nobody cares about your moral compasses. Make your food for everyone, provide your employees with a living wage and health coverage, and shut up. Even Cracker Barrel -- before this drama came along, they were notorious for spouting beliefs much like Phil's. Ironic that they landed on the other side of those issues this time...

Phil is still a putz, BTW.
    Punkin, waywyrd, GabbyG and 2 others like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    More corporate cowardice -- maybe corporations will learn not to open their mouths on political/social issues in the first place. If they just shut up and tried to serve their customers without moral/political judgment, they wouldn't have to worry so much about boycotts and internet aggression.

Hear that, Papa Johns? Chik-Fil-A? Dominos? Nobody cares about your moral compasses. Make your food for everyone, provide your employees with a living wage and health coverage, and shut up. Even Cracker Barrel -- before this drama came along, they were notorious for spouting beliefs much like Phil's. Ironic that they landed on the other side of those issues this time...

Phil is still a putz, BTW.
    Interestingly enough, the groups you listed....

1. Chick-Fil-A ended up with the highest sales ever in a single day because more people came to SUPPORT the company then did the "kiss-in."

2. Papa John's, Domino's and Cracker Barrel - the sales did the talking on their sales - pro or con. (Or would've - there were talks for Cracker Barrel boycotts).

3. A&E changed their mind because the Robertsons said they'd walk at the end of their contract - per their own words in their blog, and - like them or not folks... when you think A&E right now you think "Duck Dynasty."

No show - short time coming, people will forget the network, and there have been some networks shut down off and on in television history.

Depending on which side of the argument one is on, they're cowards or woke up to who their larger audiences are (People who agree to Phil's right to freedom of speech if not what he said - and I know a few open gays who have said that his suspension was wrong), so they changed their mind instead of risking being bankrupt.

And I'll be honest - there are shows I like that are flat out and out raising the rainbow flag above all else (RuPaul's Drag Race), and I've watched many shows that support Christian values (a lot of older TV shows, sometimes Duck Dynasty).

I like the shows because they're entertaining and make people think or - in the case of "Drag Race" - actually make me respect what drag queens have to do to get ready (especially ones who do it properly like those contestants do.

Now, Do I necessarily agree with all views in those shows? - no, I do not. And yes, I mean all of them for example some of the older westerns I like the Christian leanings but think like the late Jay Silverheels felt they made a mistake using white folks as Indians or Chinese when there were talented actors of the actual race who could've been used instead (using makeup as a disguise an exception though - i.e. Ross Martin as Artemus Gordon in "The Wild Wild West" - and even here it was rare). But I do respect the ideas and views of people on the show.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 12-24-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

There was this post posted by a page called "Conservative Christian" on Facebook. Something about how more Americans have shown support for Phil Robertson in 24 hours than the total of people that signed up for Obamacare in three months. It pissed me off that someone on my friend list would support this and share something like that. I don;t know whether that post was supposed to be funny or clever, but it just pissed me off.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    There was this post posted by a page called "Conservative Christian" on Facebook. Something about how more Americans have shown support for Phil Robertson in 24 hours than the total of people that signed up for Obamacare in three months. It pissed me off that someone on my friend list would support this and share something like that. I don;t know whether that post was supposed to be funny or clever, but it just pissed me off.
    I heard it on the news.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

This is not the first time Phil has professed his dislike for gays and lesbians. In a video from 2010 he said this about homosexuals... "Women with women. Men with men. They committed indecent acts with one another. And they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion. They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, god haters, they are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless, they invent ways of doing evil!"

You watch the video here. Start listening at minute 18. You're a better man than I if you can stand listening to much more that a minute or two.
    Punkin and AlwaysVeg like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I'm waiting for A&E to return to some Arts per their name. Enough with the Entertainment.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Interestingly enough, the groups you listed....

1. Chick-Fil-A ended up with the highest sales ever in a single day because more people came to SUPPORT the company then did the "kiss-in."

2. Papa John's, Domino's and Cracker Barrel - the sales did the talking on their sales - pro or con. (Or would've - there were talks for Cracker Barrel boycotts).

3. A&E changed their mind because the Robertsons said they'd walk at the end of their contract - per their own words in their blog, and - like them or not folks... when you think A&E right now you think "Duck Dynasty."

No show - short time coming, people will forget the network, and there have been some networks shut down off and on in television history.

Depending on which side of the argument one is on, they're cowards or woke up to who their larger audiences are (People who agree to Phil's right to freedom of speech if not what he said - and I know a few open gays who have said that his suspension was wrong), so they changed their mind instead of risking being bankrupt.

And I'll be honest - there are shows I like that are flat out and out raising the rainbow flag above all else (RuPaul's Drag Race), and I've watched many shows that support Christian values (a lot of older TV shows, sometimes Duck Dynasty).

I like the shows because they're entertaining and make people think or - in the case of "Drag Race" - actually make me respect what drag queens have to do to get ready (especially ones who do it properly like those contestants do.

Now, Do I necessarily agree with all views in those shows? - no, I do not. And yes, I mean all of them for example some of the older westerns I like the Christian leanings but think like the late Jay Silverheels felt they made a mistake using white folks as Indians or Chinese when there were talented actors of the actual race who could've been used instead (using makeup as a disguise an exception though - i.e. Ross Martin as Artemus Gordon in "The Wild Wild West" - and even here it was rare). But I do respect the ideas and views of people on the show.
    My overall point was, why would any corporation want to risk their profits by making openly divisive comments, and setting their customers against each other in choosing sides? CEOs with big mouths are doing just that. There is so little about America that hasn't become needlessly politicized over the past 30 years -- it's really quite sad.
    GabbyG, Cootie and norealityhere like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    This is not the first time Phil has professed his dislike for gays and lesbians. In a video from 2010 he said this about homosexuals... "Women with women. Men with men. They committed indecent acts with one another. And they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion. They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, god haters, they are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless, they invent ways of doing evil!"

You watch the video here. Start listening at minute 18. You're a better man than I if you can stand listening to much more that a minute or two.
    I find it interesting a lot of folks use this as means to further go after Phil. This goes especially true when I have read many hateful comments from homosexuals regarding Phil too, such as an "opinion" on Business Insider who even mocks reader's responses to his viewpoint (and yes, the writer admits he's gay without saying it flat out).

What does interest me is that he's rather right on a lot of his comments, though murder I am hoping he means the "murdering" of what he feels are morals.

As far as the comments of "envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, god [sic] haters, they are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless, they invent ways of doing evil!"...

Given that he has been called a hater, was promptly put on suspension due to a small group's protest, has had several hateful blogs about his comments (meaning honestly hypocrisy) and companies tried to remove items of Duck Dynasty from their shelves for his OPINION and offending what is - like it or not - a minority percentage of the United States...

I dare say that these words he's using in that particular comment I cut out is very much EXACTLY what many (not all) in the homosexual community is behaving like.

In fairness, I have talked with several folks who are openly gay in my town, and they said while they do disagree with his viewpoints, they DO respect his right to free speech and a couple said silence him, we should have our comment silenced to in TRUE fairness.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I find it interesting a lot of folks use this as means to further go after Phil. This goes especially true when I have read many hateful comments from homosexuals regarding Phil too, such as an "opinion" on Business Insider who even mocks reader's responses to his viewpoint (and yes, the writer admits he's gay without saying it flat out).

What does interest me is that he's rather right on a lot of his comments, though murder I am hoping he means the "murdering" of what he feels are morals.

As far as the comments of "envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, god [sic] haters, they are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless, they invent ways of doing evil!"...

Given that he has been called a hater, was promptly put on suspension due to a small group's protest, has had several hateful blogs about his comments (meaning honestly hypocrisy) and companies tried to remove items of Duck Dynasty from their shelves for his OPINION and offending what is - like it or not - a minority percentage of the United States...

I dare say that these words he's using in that particular comment I cut out is very much EXACTLY what many (not all) in the homosexual community is behaving like.

In fairness, I have talked with several folks who are openly gay in my town, and they said while they do disagree with his viewpoints, they DO respect his right to free speech and a couple said silence him, we should have our comment silenced to in TRUE fairness.
    So...disparaging, oppressive opinions towards minorities are justifiable because they are minorities, and they should just deal with being in the alleged minority and hope that their basic civil rights don't get blocked by this alleged majority while they are freely expressing their "opinions"? Amazing.

It's intersting how you bring this up as if to speak to it, and then...you don't. Read what he said again. How is that in any way defensible to say against a group of people simply because of who they are? I don't care if it can be found in a book. That book isn't the basis of our democracy. And freedom of expression is a right until that expression impinges upon other's rights and freedoms. If one wants to exercise one's freedom to express one's faith, blanket condemnation of non-believers isn't a very productive way of doing it. Lord knows, that's what Judeo-Christian Americans keep saying about Muslims every day. It's a pity they refuse to see the irony.

It astounds me how so many Americans are trying to undo a half-century of social justice in the name of self-interest...motivated by fear of losing a mythical majority that was really only on paper, and was incidental in terms of how our nation has grown. A majority can't be oppressed by a minority that holds no real power over them -- that's pure Fox News dogma. There is no War on Christmas (lol), no state is enacting sharia law, and no one religion can force the nation's laws to mimic all their tenets...no matter how desperately they keep trying.

And on that note...Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 12-24-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    Punkin, candor, Critical and 6 others like this.

And to you, MFW.

To everyone - a peaceful New Year.
    Punkin and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread