+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree566Likes

Thread: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    I'm still laughing at the photos from a few years back of the cast. They look straight out of an A&F catalog. I just...I'm just really confused that people really thought they were these southern good ole boy rednecks who act like they have little smarts and education. Has 2 decades of reality tv not taught us to be cynical and skeptical?

The bonus of all this was I figured out who to remove from my FB feed. no place for homophobes and racists in my world.
    I find this to be a two way street for people.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I was listening to the radio and they were talking about Duck Dynasty and one of the speakers mentioned that Duck Dynasty generates 400 million dollars in merchandising. One big reason why this show is not going to disappear from cable.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

And that's all it will really boil down too. It doesn't matter if gays were offended. If Christians are outraged. Or even if 1st amendment rights were violated. Its always going to come down to the money. I can bet at the end of the day the execs at A&E don't care who was offended. They suspended Phil not because they were truly concerned for the feelings of the LGBT community. They were worried they would boycott.

A couple days before Phil's comments became public I had read an article that said DD is the number one reality show ever on cable tv. I was surprised to come to FORT and see that there were only 6 pages of comments on it. This being a reality tv site and it being a reality show I really was shocked to see how little the people of FORT had to say about it. I don't have cable so I haven't seen the show but even I know who these people are. They have been on everything lately. And has been mentioned before, you can't go anywhere without seeing their merchandise or one of them on tv selling something. Plus they were already millionaires before starting DD. A&E does not want to lose out on this money. They will find a way to get Phil back and smooth things over with the GLBT community. Probably will involve Phil taking tolerance classes and donating a big ole fat check. Because IMO it always boils down to the money.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

They also mentioned that Phil and the rest of the cast have been using the fact they are on TV as a platform to promote their more conservative beliefs during speaking tours. What Phil is saying is not actually new, he has been saying the same thing during his speaking engagement for at least two yrs.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    Again, nothing in Phil's comments advocated denying civil rights. I'm not sure why you keep assigning so many thoughts to him that he's never said.

As for all the sinful traits he's attributed to people, that's fairly common Christian doctorine. But that's only a tiny part of a larger message that through love and grace people can overcome negative traits. It's not just about acknowledging shortcomings ... It's also about the effective way to change it. It's also not about "we are good, and they are the bad ones". It's about everyone struggling and helping each other to be better.
    As a Christian, I do not need an education about Christianity and I reject the notion that gays and lesbians need to change something about themselves - or overcome their perceived negative traits/shortcomings - in order to be acceptable Christians if that is the suggestion.

And please note my words CAUSAL IMPACT which in no way directly assigns anything.

I am addressing homophobic bigotry in a societal context and the fact that the homophobic statements such as the ones in the DIRECT QUOTES from Phil Robertson have a CAUSAL IMPACT in the drive to deny both civil rights and a legitimate place in society to gays and lesbians. Those direct words of Phil Robertson are not spoken in a vacuum that then evaporates into some harmless happy place afterward. They are utilized as daggers in the culture and legal wars against the LGBT community and being so in the public domain only greatly amplifies this impact and greatly energizes the entire homophobic movement.
    Last edited by chrisg; 12-22-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I keep mis-reading the name "Phil Robertson" as "Pat Robertson".

I don't watch this show. I did watch a little bit of it at one point and thought it was one of the worst things I'd ever seen on TV, on a par with Toddlers & Tiaras and those shows about gypsies. The only thing that really shocks me is how much credence is given to this bearded cretin's opinion. And now he's being held up as a martyr for free speech? Like some kind of good ol' boy version of Nelson Mandela. Wow.
    Punkin and AlwaysVeg like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

All about the money is right. Currently there is a DD marathon going on, not sure if that was planned or not. Or is that A&E's big FU to all the people calling in death threats or threatening to boycott the network?
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When people run around banging the drum and asserting loudly that they are Christian.....one thing I know, for sure, is that I never know what that means. There seems to be as many definitions and schools of thought on that as there are people; there is, obviously, not one set doctrine. People like to interpret the Bible in the way that seems convenient to their purpose. It could have a hate/intolerance slant. It could have a "love everybody" slant. It could have a "look down your nose" slant. It's like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates (as are a lot of things, in life)....."you never know what you're gonna get". The last time I heard, Christian meant Christ-like. I guess I just don't understand how people reconcile their ugliness with the definition, and HOW does that definition change so smoothly. Fluid situation, I guess.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

If the old saying "opinions are like bu**holes everyone has one* then I am certain that most threads on all forums on the internet are full of opinions. So who is right and who is wrong.
    angelic_one2002 likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

So, how can anyone take another person's declaration that they are Christian to mean anything? Actions speak louder than words. Words can be extremely hollow.
    GabbyG likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread