+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree566Likes

Thread: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Another thing that is important to discuss is historical and present day discrimination and hate crimes and suicide rates, particularly amongst gay teenagers, because the notion that those that seek to actively deny others their civil rights are somehow the ones being horribly victimized is simply not consistent with factual reality.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 12-22-2013 at 07:41 AM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Furthering political agendas, re-writing Bibles, bate crimes... these are all serious issues worthy of discussion on their own merits but are they really related to a Duck Dynasty dude? It feels like a lot of words are being put in his mouth.
    Maybe a current events thread about how we interpret and react to (as a society and individually) to religious, cultural, and even class differences could help? I don't know... what do you guys think?
    remember to play

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreamonia View Post
    I have no problem with what Phil did. If he is a true Christian and believes every word in the Bible he did what he believes in, if not he would be lying to himself and God. I have beliefs and I stand by them. No one, especially social media or peer pressure should ever have to the ability to change anyone and what they believe in. I am not against anyone I just live by the simple belief respect for one another. Treat each other as you would want to be treated. Through the years I have had a hot temper but as I have gotten older and wiser I have now learned to walk away from many interactions because it is not worth my time or energy. I have better things to do.

If you are a celebrity or not you should always watch what you say or do with how crazy the world is with recording devices, ability to take pictures on every device known to man no one is safe these days. In the world today even an unknown can sky rocket to celebrity status by something so dumb and before you know it they have a reality show. It is quite scary.

I really do miss the good ole days.
    I disagree with this. We do and should have the ability to change minds. It's how we advance and make the world better. There was a time people believed slavery was good, and the bible supported it. We don't have slavery anymore because people changed what people believed in. Same is true with women's equality, exploiting children, and the list goes on. The key is how minds are changed. If we go about it with thoughtful discussion, then hearts are changed along with minds and we are all better off. If we change it through public shaming, we don't advance but rather submit.

Same is true with your point about watching what you say. It's true, but we should not accept it that way, recording devices or not. This notion that if a person doesn't fall in line with my beliefs they are evil is juvenile, and it is what is holding us back.
    TripleGemini likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    Furthering political agendas, re-writing Bibles, bate crimes... these are all serious issues worthy of discussion on their own merits but are they really related to a Duck Dynasty dude? It feels like a lot of words are being put in his mouth.
    Maybe a current events thread about how we interpret and react to (as a society and individually) to religious, cultural, and even class differences could help? I don't know... what do you guys think?
    I thought those links were relevant because I've been reading the coverage and comments about this incident all over the internet, and I found it interesting how some bloggers and commenters are trying to steer the discussion to make it all about "freedom of speech" and "religious oppression" when I don't think either of those really come into play here. So I added some links to back up my remarks.
    GabbyG, Cootie and chrisg like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

^ I don't think those issues come into play here either. I must have misinterpreted your comments altogether. Sorry - I'm going to try again with fresh eyes and additude. Thanks for you reply.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    But, why do you stand with someone who makes blatantly racist and homophobic statements?
    I can't speak for coltanlasma, and I haven't watched DD, and I support gay rights, but I think I have an answer. My best friend was homophobic. It was the one thing about life, and politics, that we disagreed about. I would get so mad at him whenever we would get on the subject of gays. I would call him a closed minded racist. I would threaten to kick his ass because he would make me so mad. Everything I could get away with because we were best friends. But if he found himself in the situation Phil Robertson is in, I too would stand by him. The reason is because his homophobia was such a small part of the beautiful man that he was. He was a great friend who was always there for me when I needed him. He raised his son as a single father when his wife refused medical treatment for schizophrenia and wanted to self medicate with crack instead. Not only did he raise his son alone he begged his ex wife to let him raise her second son (by another man) so that the boys could be raised as brothers and the boy wouldn't have to be raised by her. The other fathers parents ended up getting custody but I digress. That's the kind of man he was. He was a tow truck driver. Several times he would help people stranded in the middle of the night. Breaking company policy to make sure they got home safe. If you were stranded in the middle of the night he was the kind of guy you would want to stop and help you. And I doubt anyone would be concerned about his views on gay marriage at the time. And it didn't matter if that person was gay. He saw people as human first.
    He wasn't a "gay basher". He never wanted to hurt anyone or incite others to hurt anyone. He just couldn't conceive of a man ever wanting to be with another man. It was something he could never wrap his head around. And to him it was just wrong and against God. Closed minded as he was I loved him.

Another great friend of mine was a very young woman when I met her. Very deeply religious. She too didn't support gay marriage. She said she understood that a gay person is born that way, but they're supposed to fight those feelings. Like an alcoholic who has to avoid alcohol. She even had sympathy for their plight but still didn't change her mind that it was wrong. Like my other friend, her views on gay marriage is just a tiny part of the whole person she truly is.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Well we have Phil Robertson, himself, saying that his fellow human beings are: "full of murder", "hatred" (Ha!), "God haters", "heartless", "faithless", "senseless", "truthless" and that "they invent ways of doing evil" merely because of inherent characteristics they were born with.

I can't imagine who would treat anyone that way, much less want to be treated this way merely because of something inherent about themselves.

And homophobia like this being spewed absolutely has a causal impact in the lives of the gay and lesbian community and ongoing discrimination, hate crimes and the active attempts to deny civil rights.
    causingchaos likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I have actually watched dunk dynasty and I am very disappointed in Phil. I don't get the thinking that because something was not said in a mean manner that doesn't make it wrong. The comments are ignorant and hurtful in nature and that makes it wrong.

I guess this is one less show I will be watching anymore!
    GabbyG likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm still laughing at the photos from a few years back of the cast. They look straight out of an A&F catalog. I just...I'm just really confused that people really thought they were these southern good ole boy rednecks who act like they have little smarts and education. Has 2 decades of reality tv not taught us to be cynical and skeptical?

The bonus of all this was I figured out who to remove from my FB feed. no place for homophobes and racists in my world.
    AmyKay, GabbyG and causingchaos like this.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Well we have Phil Robertson, himself, saying that his fellow human beings are: "full of murder", "hatred" (Ha!), "God haters", "heartless", "faithless", "senseless", "truthless" and that "they invent ways of doing evil" merely because of inherent characteristics they were born with.

I can't imagine who would treat anyone that way, much less want to be treated this way merely because of something inherent about themselves.

And homophobia like this being spewed absolutely has a causal impact in the lives of the gay and lesbian community and ongoing discrimination, hate crimes and the active attempts to deny civil rights.
    Again, nothing in Phil's comments advocated denying civil rights. I'm not sure why you keep assigning so many thoughts to him that he's never said.

As for all the sinful traits he's attributed to people, that's fairly common Christian doctorine. But that's only a tiny part of a larger message that through love and grace people can overcome negative traits. It's not just about acknowledging shortcomings ... It's also about the effective way to change it. It's also not about "we are good, and they are the bad ones". It's about everyone struggling and helping each other to be better.

+ Reply to Thread