+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree566Likes

Thread: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    Well golly Mr. Phil is edumacated. His beliefs are his beliefs and if you don't like them don't watch his show or read what he says. I will say this if every man treated his wife like Mr. Phil treats Mrs. Kay there would be a lot less divorce in this world.
    nennie, if you haven't already seen it, check out Phi and Kay's portion of the Robertsons' "i am second" video. I always enjoy Miss Kay on the show, but knowing their backstory gave me a newfound respect for her and their relationship.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    Do you also think that some may be framing non-Constitutional issues in Constitutional terms? As far as I know, Phil Robertson indeed is not a Constitutional scholar (his master's degree is in Education), but what that has to do with the man's belief in what constitutes sin - and his personal explanation when asked- is not clear to me. What do you feel he needs to brush up on?
    The United States of America is governed by the Constitution, not religion, and equality is indeed a Constitutional issue. And I made a joke about this particular man because his comments make him a joke, in my opinion. And, yes, I am entitled to that opinion as a female citizen of the Constitutionally governed United States. If he treats his wife great, how fabulous for her, perhaps. And, no, I will not continue to answer questions that devolve this thread to argue for the sake it.
    Lil Bit, GabbyG, Cootie and 2 others like this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    The United States of America is governed by the Constitution, not religion, and equality is indeed a Constitutional issue. And I made a joke about this particular man because his comments make him a joke, in my opinion. And, yes, I am entitled to that opinion as a female citizen of the Constitutionally governed United States. If he treats his wife great, how fabulous for her, perhaps. And, no, I will not continue to answer questions that devolve this thread to argue for the sake it.
    For me, and perhaps others, the confusion in your bringing the Constitution into this is that none of Phil's GQ quotes were about gay marriage. He said he thinks being gay is sinful behavior (along with listing other things he thinks are sinful). Marriage didn't come in to it. So while your defense of marriage makes perfect sense, it doesn't really play in to Duck Dynasty. The Constitution does protect freedom of religion. Because of that, Phil has the freedom to read the bible and conclude that homosexuality is sinful. I am free to read those same passages and believe they discourage rape and sexual exploitation and have utterly nothing to do with a loving relationship between two men or two women. So I can see where the constitution would come into play there. But not with regards to a marriage issue he never mentioned.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I don't think straight people can see how much it affects the gay community. Without having walked a mile in someone else's shoes, you can't see the light that they see.
    causingchaos likes this.

Ok, I have a better grasp on this now. I heard a quote of the sin comment and then one of my friends told he made a comments about gay marriage, which isn't the case but -- now that I have a firmer grasp on this -- and I am seeing the extent of the quotes, particularly from the video which is on The Daily News website, this is far more bigoted than I realized:

“Women with women. Men with men,” he said at one point (at 18:25 in the video below). “They committed indecent acts with one another, and they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversions.
    “They’re full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant God-haters. They are heartless. They are faithless. They are senseless. They are truthless. They invent ways of doing evil.”
    So, I see statements that reflect someone who has an incredibly deep seated inability to accept the equality of not just his fellow human beings and Americans but many of his fellow Christians as well. Of course he has the right to and can make these statements but civilized society in no way is obligated to blithely accept and/or defer to raging homophobic statements like this in the public domain. Not at all.

And I actually do feel that discussing Constitutional equality is important in every discussion of bigotry because equality is something that has been ideally promised to every American citizen. Not just some of us. All of us. Calling someone evil because they were born with a different gender preference than you is hardly reflective of equality.
    Cootie likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

He has a right to say what he believes.

A&E has a right to suspend him for saying something they find objectionable.

People have a right to boycott A&E for suspending him, because they knew his beliefs when they hired him or they believe his right to his own beliefs.

My opinion, if he'd said Christians were ignorant and hateful, no one at the network would have batted an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    My opinion, if he'd said Christians were ignorant and hateful, no one at the network would have batted an eye.
    And if Phil was Muslim and making the same statements of "belief" concerning gays and non-believers (and it would be a very similar set of ideas), I think most Christians would be screaming for his head instead of sticking up for him.

Same beer in different bottles, yet people seem to insist they taste different. It's amazing how so many Christians justify bigotry and discrimination by claiming it's in their scriptures so it's okay.

This isn't a Left vs. Right issue, except mostly in the Right's eyes. They are (again) using the Bible to further their political agendas, whereas those criticizing Phil are doing so from a simple humanist standpoint.

This should lend some perspective on what I'm talking about: There is a movement that is re-translating the Bible because even the King James version isn't "conservative" enough for them. If the existing Holy Scripture can't win arguments for them anymore, no problem: they'll just rewrite it! Right-Wing Group Seeks Help Rewriting the Bible Because It's Not Conservative Enough | Alternet

p.s. While all the other Fox News talking-heads followed the same sanctioned script, Bill O'Reilly actually broke from the pack and called out Robertson for his comments: Bill O’Reilly thumps Duck Dynasty star with the Bible for anti-LGBT remarks | The Raw Story
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 12-22-2013 at 03:50 AM.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

And if Phil was Muslim and making the same statements of "belief" concerning gays and non-believers (and it would be a very similar set of ideas), I think most Christians would be screaming for his head instead of sticking up for him.
    So true.

Hypocrites everywhere.
    Cootie likes this.

When you are in the public eye and the whole world is watching you, you have to watch what you say. One misstep and you can tank your whole career. People make headlines all the time for this very offense....Alec Baldwin anyone? Not only is Phil a bigot, but he's an idiot, too. Just because you think something doesn't mean you have to give voice to it. You'd think everyone with any fame would have learned that lesson by now.
    GabbyG and Cootie like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I have no problem with what Phil did. If he is a true Christian and believes every word in the Bible he did what he believes in, if not he would be lying to himself and God. I have beliefs and I stand by them. No one, especially social media or peer pressure should ever have to the ability to change anyone and what they believe in. I am not against anyone I just live by the simple belief respect for one another. Treat each other as you would want to be treated. Through the years I have had a hot temper but as I have gotten older and wiser I have now learned to walk away from many interactions because it is not worth my time or energy. I have better things to do.

If you are a celebrity or not you should always watch what you say or do with how crazy the world is with recording devices, ability to take pictures on every device known to man no one is safe these days. In the world today even an unknown can sky rocket to celebrity status by something so dumb and before you know it they have a reality show. It is quite scary.

I really do miss the good ole days.
    Florimel and coltnlasma like this.

+ Reply to Thread