+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree566Likes

Thread: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I am not saying the comments represent Christian beliefs, but saying that....
    People do have their own opinions as to what they believe in, some do not like interracial marriages, gay/lesbian, why do we call that wrong? Are we not trying to say our beliefs are better than theirs? I have found even on this forum, if you disagree with a certain group, then you are berated until you finally leave the area on the forums.
    I am not saying this right, but you can get the gist.
    Because it's bigotry.
    Cootie, chrisg, law638 and 1 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Uncool Duck Dynasty Dude can be as inflammatory as he wants -- which in no way guarantees him a job -- but the bottom line is always that gay and lesbian marriage rights is a civil rights issue which ultimately falls under the aegis of the Equal Protection Clause of the Constitution.

So just to kind of wonkblog that on out, Americans are guaranteed Equal Protection under the law. Marriage is a fundamental civil state statute governed by laws and is in the process of being adjudicated to be aligned with -- kinda like how our founding fathers sorta initially overlooked that women and African Americans are equal too -- the guarantee of that Equal Protection.

Everyone is free to be as personally discriminatory in their attitudes as they choose and apply that to their own personal lives – ie, if you are a man and don’t want to marry a man, feel perfectly free not to. That, however, will not ultimately succeed in denying others their equal civil rights because the legal precedents in this nation are overwhelming when it comes to equality trumping discriminatory laws due to the strength of our Constitutional Republic.

And the idea that those that stand opposed to Actual Discrimination – you know, the kind of Actual Discrimination where Civil Rights Are Being Applied Inequitably -- are the ones that are being discriminatory in nature, is simply not consistent with the facts.

At least now know why I had no idea what freaking Duck Dynasty is. So that problem's solved, much to my relief.
    GabbyG and Cootie like this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I feel if you are going to put yourself in the public eye, you have to consider all of the public even if you are against what they do with their own freedom. Think those thoughts in your head if you must but don't bite the hand that feeds you. Freedom of speech is being put out there as a reason this is ok......I understand that, everyone has the right to voice their opinions but when you work for a multi billion dollar corporation who has an image to think of, you might want to think twice before you voice your opinion. Will the show be dropped, probably not. It is their number one show right now. Will he be forced to make a public apology and hope that it all blows over, of course. It's like the time Tom Cruise said Brook Shields was not having post pardom depression, it does not exist. Even he had to make a public statement saying something to smooth things over. Bottom line, no matter what you believe or how you feel, if you choose to represent a company whether it is in television or elsewhere, you should not do something that could jeopardize the well being of your employer.
    Cootie and chrisg like this.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Silence is Golden!

Better to remain silent and be thought a Fool than to speak and remove ALL doubt.
    ness, AmyKay, Cootie and 3 others like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I am not saying the comments represent Christian beliefs, but saying that....
    People do have their own opinions as to what they believe in, some do not like interracial marriages, gay/lesbian, why do we call that wrong? [B]Are we not trying to [/B]say our beliefs are better than theirs? I have found even on this forum, if you disagree with a certain group, then you are berated until you finally leave the area on the forums.
    I am not saying this right, but you can get the gist.
    Excellent point. Why is it 'right' that some feel they must defend something they don't feel is right, but aren't allowed to say/or it's unacceptable if they disagree with it?
    holly71 and Photobabe like this.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Phil didn't SPECIFICALLY state that someone was inferior. However, when you compare homosexuality to bestiality or infer that a whole race of people was happy without equal rights then in my mind, you're minimizing them. IMO, the people who are inferior are the ones who judge people based on their race, gender or sexual orientation. But then, we're getting into a semantics debate here, which is not the point of the thread or this discussion.

I, for one, am thrilled that people like this are finally getting called out about their bigotry and I'm sick and tired of hearing about how those beliefs represent "good Christian values." THAT'S offensive.
    The problem is, he did not compare homosexuality to beastiality. What he said is that one thing becomes permissible, it moves on into other things too, and we are seen that happen. I've seen lawsuits in regards to me, and man boy love, and yes even want to be scouting some remote location. That is my problem with this whole argument, is that people read way too much into send it says in order to make it offensive to them.

In fact, I've even seen someone use the black argument in the debate, and it is has 0 relevance to it.

And honestly, Phil's comments said about homosexuality being wrong are in the Bible. So is also the fact that you're supposed to love one another, and love the sinner hate the sin.

And reading what Phil said, he actually follows both of those points stated at in the Bible. The problem is Pro-gay right activists only look at the second sentence I just listed, those who are against it look at the first.

The one thing I do think is, people are way too hyper sensitive about comments made nowadays, and our way to hypocritical and dancing them. And, I also think people react way to extremely on them.

Make no mistake, this decision by A&E is probably going to hurt more than help them. That is also a consequence of decisions, especially hasty ones.

I will add...A & E had every right to axe him from the show. It is their station. Phil may say what he believes, but will have to accept the consequences. A&E will also have to accept the consequences of their actions.
    law638 likes this.
    There's no place like home!

It is kind of a misnomer, in my opinion, to state that people aren't being allowed to say things in society, because if that was the de facto case, that statement would probably not have been, well, allowed, most likely. There is a likewise misnomer floating around in society that any individual's feelings and/or personal beliefs hold the power to somehow trump Constitutionality and that is simply not how our Constitutional system functions.

And to put it bluntly, Californians were sold a bogus load of it when they were misled into thinking that voting the belief that marriage should be between a man and a woman could ever somehow become the permanent law in the State of CA, which very clearly and blatantly has an Equal Protection Clause within it's State Constitution.

Constitutionality ultimately governs this nation and it is, in my opinion, genuinely unfortunate that people have been misled by the framing of Constitutional issues in non-Constitutional terms.

Individual beliefs can govern any individual's life, provided that other basic legal conditions are met, but the bottom line is that the Constitution governs Constitutional issues.

Duck Dynasty Dude is probably not a Constitutional scholar, but it would serve him well -- now that he has some free time -- to brush up on this because this is a Constitutional Republic and it always bottom lines back to that when it comes to Constitutional issues.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    ..Constitutionality ultimately governs this nation and it is, in my opinion, genuinely unfortunate that people have been misled by the framing of Constitutional issues in non-Constitutional terms.

Individual beliefs can govern any individual's life, provided that other basic legal conditions are met, but the bottom line is that the Constitution governs Constitutional issues.

Duck Dynasty Dude is probably not a Constitutional scholar, but it would serve him well -- now that he has some free time -- to brush up on this because this is a Constitutional Republic and it always bottom lines back to that when it comes to Constitutional issues.
    Do you also think that some may be framing non-Constitutional issues in Constitutional terms? As far as I know, Phil Robertson indeed is not a Constitutional scholar (his master's degree is in Education), but what that has to do with the man's belief in what constitutes sin - and his personal explanation when asked- is not clear to me. What do you feel he needs to brush up on?
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    Do you also think that some may be framing non-Constitutional issues in Constitutional terms? As far as I know, Phil Robertson indeed is not a Constitutional scholar (his master's degree is in Education), but what that has to do with the man's belief in what constitutes sin - and his personal explanation when asked- is not clear to me. What do you feel he needs to brush up on?
    Well golly Mr. Phil is edumacated. His beliefs are his beliefs and if you don't like them don't watch his show or read what he says. I will say this if every man treated his wife like Mr. Phil treats Mrs. Kay there would be a lot less divorce in this world.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

+ Reply to Thread