+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 243
Like Tree566Likes

Thread: Duck Dynasty on A&E

  1. #91
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,135

    Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22 View Post
    Because people are up in arms because of an opinion. Not to mention what he said wasnt said in a hateful nasty way. Again, hes not acting out on these. He said and explained why he feels that way. Why do people feel that when they are offended they can demand apologies and actions? Paula Dean says the N-word behind closed doors 20 years ago and the NAACP goes nuts about it and gets her thrown off the air. Why is that ok? Why is it ok for these groups to ruin peoples lives over mistakes or an opinion?

    You know how A&E should gauge the reactions? By keeping the show on the air and seeing what happens. Its when these companies cave to the interest groups that put BS pressure on them by threatening to boycott. Im willing to be 90% of the people who watch the show will continue to watch despite any threats. The people who are bitching and whining are probably not the ones who will affect the A&E or DD line in anyway.
    So when the opinion is that a group of people is inferior because of the color of their skin or who they sleep with, then that's when you stand with him or her......even if that opinion is odious and ignorant in the eyes of most educated people? You just stand with that person because people are up in arms? What if the people are right? Is it just to be contrary?

    How do you say racist and homophobic things in a nice way?

    A&E should make whatever decision they want to make and they don't need anyone telling them how to make it. Buy a network and then you can do whatever you want. If they don't like what he's saying - and I find it really hard to believe they agree with him in any way - they can fire him whenever they want and especially if they believe they'll lose money because of him.

    I've never seen 2 seconds of that show because I have no interest in these people. I'm not the least bit surprised that one of them (and probably most of them, let's be honest) turned out to be a racist homophobe.

    Like I've sad several times, he has a right to say whatever he wants, but free speech isn't free. He hasn't been arrested or charged with a crime. He got canned from his stupid reality show by a company that is well within their rights to do get rid of him. There are consequences to behavior or speech. He just discovered what those are.

    Also, re: the comment about his interview with GQ not being on A&E....he was interviewed by GQ because he's on a show aired on A&E. They didn't interview him for any other reason. It's not like GQ's readers are all into duck calls or whatever it is he does. That's means he was representing the network, whether he likes it or not.
    GabbyG, momrek06, Cootie and 4 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  2. #92
    FoRTer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,094

    Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    So when the opinion is that a group of people is inferior because of the color of their skin or who they sleep with, then that's when you stand with him or her...
    I did not get this (the bolded) from Phil's comments in that interview.
    angelic_one2002, mom2 and Florimel like this.

  3. #93
    2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,066

    Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    So when the opinion is that a group of people is inferior because of the color of their skin or who they sleep with, then that's when you stand with him or her......even if that opinion is odious and ignorant in the eyes of most educated people? You just stand with that person because people are up in arms? What if the people are right? Is it just to be contrary?

    How do you say racist and homophobic things in a nice way?

    A&E should make whatever decision they want to make and they don't need anyone telling them how to make it. Buy a network and then you can do whatever you want. If they don't like what he's saying - and I find it really hard to believe they agree with him in any way - they can fire him whenever they want and especially if they believe they'll lose money because of him.

    I've never seen 2 seconds of that show because I have no interest in these people. I'm not the least bit surprised that one of them (and probably most of them, let's be honest) turned out to be a racist homophobe.

    Like I've sad several times, he has a right to say whatever he wants, but free speech isn't free. He hasn't been arrested or charged with a crime. He got canned from his stupid reality show by a company that is well within their rights to do get rid of him. There are consequences to behavior or speech. He just discovered what those are.

    Also, re: the comment about his interview with GQ not being on A&E....he was interviewed by GQ because he's on a show aired on A&E. They didn't interview him for any other reason. It's not like GQ's readers are all into duck calls or whatever it is he does. That's means he was representing the network, whether he likes it or not.
    Specifically, could you please indicate what quotes from the article state that some people are inferior?

  4. #94
    FORT Fogey candor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portlandia
    Posts
    3,239

    Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

    I saw the headlines and my first thought was, Lord he's gonna be crucified. I hate, hate, the mobbing that takes place when someone says something ignorant or bigoted. There's a difference between a justified comeuppance for someone who's in the wrong and a reaction so disproportionate that it destroys lives. I'm glad that homophobia is no longer tolerated, but I think the metaphorical torches and pitchforks are a bit much.

    That said, I'm stunned that this has become so politicized so quickly, with the usual tribes picking sides. The public's reaction didn't come from the "liberal media" (can we get rid of that phony trope?) or Saul Alinksy tactics (please).

    This shouldn't be about liberal or conservative, religious or secular, standing with him or against him. The guy said a bigoted thing that if our country weren't stuck in perpetual outrage would play out something like this: Liberal: "Dude, that's not cool." Conservative: "Dude, that's not cool." Done.
    CantGetNuf, Florimel and MrMet like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

  5. #95
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,857

    Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

    Okay, I've never actually watched Duck Dynasty, because I couldn't imagine that I'd be interested in it. That's not a slam against those who watch it, however, since I probably watch things they couldn't imagine being interested in either. People's interests are simply different, that's all.

    What I do find a little amazing is that there are apparently videos readily available on the internet of the same guy making pretty much the same remarks at some kind of church service/meeting. It's not like it's the first time he's publicly voiced such sentiments, which makes it seem likely that A&E has probably edited out similar remarks from the series or, at the very least, was aware of his propensity for making them. If so, it seems a little disingenuous of A&E being willing to make serious money off the show before and finding them so offensive now that they've hit GQ and been the subject of greater public scrutiny.

    As for his freedom to say them, sure, he has that. But if you say such things, there are going to be some people who agree with you and some who don't, and they have a right to state their feelings too. And if enough of them dislike what you've said, your employer may get nervous, and your show may get cancelled. He has a right to say whatever he wants, but he doesn't have a right to a reality show (though, as I said before, it seems a bit late for A&E to get all bent out of joint about his opinions now, after they've been happy to make money off the show hand over fist before).

    On a semi-related note, I wonder how the controversy will affect all the Duck Dynasty merchandise I see every time I go shopping. That's what first made me aware of the fact that the show must be really popular. I was vaguely aware of it, but because it wasn't something I watched or kept track of, I didn't realize it was some kind of monster hit for A&E.
    Bearcata and Coco46 like this.

  6. #96
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    But, why do you stand with someone who makes blatantly racist and homophobic statements?
    I know this isn't directed at me but I'd like to give an insight.

    I find a double standard here with Phil's firing compared to recent hateful vile, disgusting and sexist things said by say Martin Bashir.*

    Phil says he believes that sex between man and woman is normal, saying HE finds sex they way gays do it disgusting for his tastes on sex (by the way using The CORRECT anatomical terms, which seem to be seen as disgusting and vile) and he's fired from a show.

    Bashir says that people should follow an old slave owner's punishment (racist per the terms used on Phil), and do no. 2 in Sarah Palin's Mouth (vile and disgusting comments).... NOTHING done for weeks until sponsors dropped out and he resigns. (meaning not fired immediately when protests done.)

    I think that's my problem more than anything... The double standard of what's seen as permissible and what's not based on beliefs or politics. If all people opinions were treated in the equal manner and punished in an equal manner, regardless of the leaves political leanings, etc., for what they said, then this to me wouldn't be such a big deal.

    It is however obvious they don't need the money of they're considering saying no to more than this season.

    *note, I would say the same things if Bashir were saying that to a liberal female. I found the comments disgusting.
    holly71, Florimel and AZChristian like this.

  7. #97
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    With all due respect, if you are asking your friend the question in that same fashion, then the question itself is an attack. You said later in the thread that whether or not Phil's comments were hateful depends on who hears it. The same is true of calling someone racist and/or homophobic.

    The reality is that shaming people into not expressing an opinion has become a political tactic of control. Saul Alinsky instructs people to do it as an "ends justifies the means' approach to get what you want. Rather than arguing a point of view, you make the opposing point of view appear so undesirable that no one wants to associate with it. Don't debate -- label someone as hateful. They won't want to be seen as hateful, so the hope is they will just shut up.

    George Orwell warns of such an approach in 1984. While in that novel it's done in a more organized fashion, the tactic is the same -- let a group in power determine what everyone must think, make it socially unacceptable to think anything else, and watch people fall in place out of a fear of being socially shunned.

    As I said in my previous post in this thread, there was a time in my life that I thought SOME of the things that Phil thinks. My mind changed. It did not change because of people who called me names and convinced me I was hateful. That would have never worked, because I know who I am. My mind was changed because of thoughtful people who shared an intelligent point of view with me and persuaded me.

    If you truly want to understand, I'd suggest asking your friend a question such as "what is your basis for thinking that" and then respond to what is said. Throw in words like homophobe, and defenses instantly go up, and ears get shut.
    It's obvious to me that you don't get it.....and that's OK with me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  8. #98
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,135

    Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I know this isn't directed at me but I'd like to give an insight.

    I find a double standard here with Phil's firing compared to recent hateful vile, disgusting and sexist things said by say Martin Bashir.*

    Phil says he believes that sex between man and woman is normal, saying HE finds sex they way gays do it disgusting for his tastes on sex (by the way using The CORRECT anatomical terms, which seem to be seen as disgusting and vile) and he's fired from a show.

    Bashir says that people should follow an old slave owner's punishment (racist per the terms used on Phil), and do no. 2 in Sarah Palin's Mouth (vile and disgusting comments).... NOTHING done for weeks until sponsors dropped out and he resigns. (meaning not fired immediately when protests done.)

    I think that's my problem more than anything... The double standard of what's seen as permissible and what's not based on beliefs or politics. If all people opinions were treated in the equal manner and punished in an equal manner, regardless of the leaves political leanings, etc., for what they said, then this to me wouldn't be such a big deal.

    It is however obvious they don't need the money of they're considering saying no to more than this season.

    *note, I would say the same things if Bashir were saying that to a liberal female. I found the comments disgusting.
    If you read upthread, I commented on the Martin Bashir thing. I actually find it UNshocking that the same people who denounced his comments and called for him to get fired - including Palin herself - didn't stand up for HIS First Amendment rights. For the record, although I find Palin to be the worst American politics (and culture) has to offer, I thought Bashir was rude and classless. Do I think he has a right to say what he wants? I do. Do I think MSNBC was within its rights to get rid of him? I do. Just like A&E had every right to get rid of Phil if they wanted. If he's going to cost them money, they can get rid of him. Anyone can exercise free speech, but if you call your boss an a-hole on Facebook, don't be surprised if you get fired.

    Phil didn't SPECIFICALLY state that someone was inferior. However, when you compare homosexuality to bestiality or infer that a whole race of people was happy without equal rights then in my mind, you're minimizing them. IMO, the people who are inferior are the ones who judge people based on their race, gender or sexual orientation. But then, we're getting into a semantics debate here, which is not the point of the thread or this discussion.

    I, for one, am thrilled that people like this are finally getting called out about their bigotry and I'm sick and tired of hearing about how those beliefs represent "good Christian values." THAT'S offensive.
    candor, Lil Bit, GabbyG and 8 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  9. #99
    FORT Fogey captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Follow the Yellow Brick Road
    Posts
    4,501

    Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

    I am not saying the comments represent Christian beliefs, but saying that....
    People do have their own opinions as to what they believe in, some do not like interracial marriages, gay/lesbian, why do we call that wrong? Are we not trying to say our beliefs are better than theirs? I have found even on this forum, if you disagree with a certain group, then you are berated until you finally leave the area on the forums.
    I am not saying this right, but you can get the gist.
    There's no place like home!

  10. #100
    Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    22
    Posts
    7,834

    Re: Duck Dynasty on A&E

    I, for one, am thrilled that people like this are finally getting called out about their bigotry and I'm sick and tired of hearing about how those beliefs represent "good Christian values." THAT'S offensive.
    It is offensive, and it pisses me off completely.
    law638 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.