+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Breaking Pointe (CW)

Breaking Pointe (CW)

For the first time ever, the beauty and grace of ballet, the world's preeminent dance form, will be brought to television. Viewers will also see the dark side of this seemingly perfect world; the jealousy, competition and intensity that exist behind the scenes at a professional ballet company. For under the tights and tutus lie warriors, who battle in a gritty world of extreme athleticism, focus and dedication, while hunting for the unattainable...perfection.

"Breaking Pointe" rips back the curtain on the inner workings of elite Salt Lake City Ballet Company, Ballet West. It obliterates the notion that ballet is a dated art form and shatters pre-conceived stereotypes about the men and women who give their lives to the world of ballet. Beneath their perfect exteriors, these dancers have the toughness of linebackers, punishing their bodies to achieve perfection and dancing through injuries and pain.

Led by Artistic Director Adam Sklute, a former dancer and Associate Director of The Joffrey Ballet, Ballet West and Ballet West II's company of 48 dancers includes: Principal Artist Christiana Bennett, Soloist Ronnie Underwood, Demi-Soloist Allison DeBona, Demi-Soloist Rex Tilton, Beckanne Sisk, Kathleen Martin and Ronald Tilton.

Shot in a rich, cinematic style, "Breaking Pointe" pulls the viewer directly into the company, where they will experience the exhausting rehearsals, the stylized glamour of the dancers' life and the vibrant and dynamic main-stage performances.It's every little girl's dream to grow up and become a ballerina, but nobody knows what the world of competitive ballet is really about. No one sees the sacrifice and discipline it takes to look perfect for the audience. Nobody knows that in order to advance and get the best roles, dancers have to navigate the complicated social politics inside the company. And, no one sees, when the curtain goes down, the drama that bleeds into the dancers’ private lives…until now.
    Breaking Pointe | About | Show Information

The series started tonight. Did anyone else watch?

I grew up dancing and probably spent most of my youth, until I was 17 or so, in a dance studio and much of that was in pointe shoes. So yeah, I'm a balletomane, BIG time!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

I took ballet for 5 years only but the show captured my interest and I will continue to watch. After the movie "Black Swan" this was a peek into the behind the scenes reality--dance is a business too!

I caught the last 1/2 hour of it & liked what I saw. I have it on my dvr so I plan to watch the entire show tonite.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I have it on my dvr too and will watch when I get the chance. I also took ballet all through my youth, on point too (and my feet are suffering for that now!!!!) Love the dance, but know it is brutal behind the scenes.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

I watched and I very much liked it. LIke may who are posting here, I did years on pointe and no foot problems in later life, but I have had some ankle and knee problems as a result. It's repeating tonight at 8/7.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I have heard that if one does pointe too young before the feet have a chance to mature that it makes it worse later on. Maybe that is my problem. Started at a fairly young age. I'm 65 now, so long time ago, but it is my dance passion still!
    Jezebella likes this.

I was in classes with a girl whose mother put her on pointe when she was 4. As a result, she just never developed properly and her technique wasn't as good. She could do all the tricks - a million fouettes, quadruple pirouettes, whatever - but her knees were never quite straight when she was en pointe. I never knew if it was because her knee joint or the supporting muscles hadn't developed properly or that was just how she learned when she was 4 because her feet weren't strong enough. No self-respecting ballet teacher would have EVER done that to a 4 year old. I can't imagine what her mother was thinking.

I really felt for Katie having to dance with the company for 2 more months, even though her contract wasn't renewed. Ouch. How on earth do you keep working hard when the company doesn't want you? I guess you have to in order to get a good recommendation if you ever hope to get a position in another company, but man. That strikes me as particularly masochistic.

I can understand that some of the girls are jealous of Beckanne, but I still feel for her. Allison's "joking" comments about Beckanne's supposedly fat feet were so rude.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thank you for this thread. I had no idea, but will watch this evening and put it as a series on my DVR.

I took ballet when I was 6. That was enough to make it my passion. The next year we moved to a very small town with no dance. I was heartbroken and I think that is when my depression started. Anyway, when I was in high school someone gave dance classes and, although she had no ballet experience, she did what she could for me even to going enpointe. I loved it, and was happy I could once again participate in plies even if for only another short time.

The teacher I had when I was six was what at that time was called a "White Russian." In other words, when the Czar fell, her family moved to Singapore and she migrated to San Francisco. She refused to put any girl enpointe until she was at least 8 years old. She explained it was about foot development. She was very strict and used a cane to help you tuck in your bottom and straighten your legs. I loved her. I was considered to have talent and enough advancement to perform a solo in the teenage girls production. I'm still trying to figure out which ballet they performed as I danced the small part of a shepherdess.

Oh, sorry to go on and on, but I got myself going with memories (short though they are.)
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I started ballet at 3, but wasn't allowed to go en pointe until about 10 or 11 as I recall. Even then, I was brought along slowly with only so much time in toe shoes per session until I gradually built up what was needed. I remember feeling very comfortable on my toes right from the start, as long as I had plenty of lambs wool or bunny pads.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Yes,, 4 is way too young for that. I started at 8 and my sister at 10. She was a better dancer than me, so maybe age was the factor here (or maybe I wasn't as talented......). I am also enjoying this show!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast