+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Breaking Pointe (CW)

Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

I feel bad for Allison. I can imagine how torn she is between her dancing and her guy. But, I was shocked when I learned he had never bothered to go to Utah to see her dance. That just seems WRONG to me. Even when she was begging him to come, he seemed disinterested. I suspect he is in love with the idea of a very slender wife who will warm his bed, cook his meals, raise his kids and look good on his arm at social events.

As to Christiana not speaking to Chris at the studio...I suspect she want's their conversations to be private, not shared on national TV. Can't say I blame her for that!
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    I feel bad for Allison. I can imagine how torn she is between her dancing and her guy. But, I was shocked when I learned he had never bothered to go to Utah to see her dance. That just seems WRONG to me. Even when she was begging him to come, he seemed disinterested. I suspect he is in love with the idea of a very slender wife who will warm his bed, cook his meals, raise his kids and look good on his arm at social events.

As to Christiana not speaking to Chris at the studio...I suspect she want's their conversations to be private, not shared on national TV. Can't say I blame her for that!
    I don't see that, but if it is the case, there's nothing wrong with that IF the woman he marries wants the same thing. Yes, they do exist.

I believe Allison and Jonathan just want different things, are at different stages of their lives, and probably not right for each other. She's been telling him for a long time that she would retire after this season and even I knew that wasn't going to happen. There are a lot of people who, sadly for them, do not enjoy watching ballet or opera. Maybe he's one of them. All things considered, I don't think either of them considers the other to be top priority, which is similar to what I'm seeing with Christina and Chris. She even stated that with his work load, she no longer feels like she's a priority in his life.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Florimel, I agree with you 100%. Allison has a gift for dancing and a love of dancing. Her guy has a commitment to medicine. And, I do think his job would be priority if for no other reason than the fact his job can support them for many, many years. Allison will be too old to dance long before he retires from medicine. Still, I find it very odd that he refuses to go and watch her dance. If the person I loved was a pro soccer player I would go to as many games as I could, even though I don't like soccer. You do it to support the person you love.

Does anyone think Allison could retire from dancing and stay at home or take an office job somewhere and be happy at this stage of her life? I doubt it. I think she would soon begin to resent him.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I don't see that, but if it is the case, there's nothing wrong with that IF the woman he marries wants the same thing. Yes, they do exist.

I believe Allison and Jonathan just want different things, are at different stages of their lives, and probably not right for each other. She's been telling him for a long time that she would retire after this season and even I knew that wasn't going to happen. There are a lot of people who, sadly for them, do not enjoy watching ballet or opera. Maybe he's one of them. All things considered, I don't think either of them considers the other to be top priority, which is similar to what I'm seeing with Christina and Chris. She even stated that with his work load, she no longer feels like she's a priority in his life.
    But, when you're in a relationship you make sacrifices for the other person, especially if that person is a professional ballet dancer. I don't understand why he wouldn't at least ONCE come to see her dance, especially if this was going to be her last season with the company. IMO, it's different when it's someone you love. I mean, I don't love bluegrass, but my uncle is a professional bluegrass musician and I love going to hear him play.
    Photobabe likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I love spoilers, others don't. If you do? Then go to the Ballet West site, they had the cast up for Cinderella before this season even started but that's no longer a spoiler. They do have who got contracts up though and that is a spoiler.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Yep, I went and checked out the company website during the first episode. Not really a surprise as to who got contracts. I wonder if they'll leave things in a cliffhanger as to who from BW2 gets the contract.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I also checked it out and did see one of the BW2 people listed as a corps dancer for the 2013/2014 season. Also saw
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Allison listed as a soloist, so I guess that turned out as expected.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Do you guys suppose the obvious cooling of the directors towards Beckanne this season is because of how immature, petulant, and unprofessional she is behaving? I know the reaction shots and talking heads are supposed to be happening concurrently but they could be added in later.

It's just a bit obvious that she's not quiet the special snowflake that she was before and she's not as big of a threat to the older dancers as she was last season.

Least, that's my impression.

It seems that now we are hearing about how she has to grow into her talent AKA mature.

I know if I was the director and saw the behavior of these people? I would think twice about risking my reputation on casting them in key roles.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Oh, I think Beckanne is just as good as she was last season - probably better. It's just that there are other dancers in the company who have been there longer and who are better dancers. She's very special, but she still has a lot to learn. I wouldn't be surprised if Adam had given her a "lesser" part to test her. Being in a ballet company isn't always about dancing the lead. Sometimes - often, I'd suspect - dancers are expected to play "utility roles" rather than the challenging parts.

With principals like Christianna and several others in the company, Beckanne was never going to dance the lead. She needs to pay her dues first.
    Florimel likes this.

In last nights episode it was contract time. Our "friend" Zack got a contract. Beckanne was promoted to soloist, as was Allison and Rex was out on hold. Discussion to be continued. Adam suggested that Rex is a bit of a "drama queen" when it comes to injuries.

+ Reply to Thread