+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Breaking Pointe (CW)

Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Critical, I agree with everything you said about Ronnie. He is my least liked of the male dancers. I did have a laugh though when the tattoo artist kept referring to him as a "ballerina," and kind of admired his not making an issue of it.
    I have a friend who is a former principal dancer for Ballet West, and he laughingly calls himself a ballerina, so maybe Ronnie didn't care, though Ronnie seems more like the type who would care how others see him.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

The thing is Allison should be jealous of Beckanne. Comparing the two rehearsing the same part made it obvious Beckanne is a beautiful, natural dancer with grace in movement. Allison carries her tomboy attitude into her moves and this particular ballet, at least, isn't accommodating for that. Yes, Allison is being tested and the results are still pending.

What I liked about the meal out was the message sent to young girls that the anorexics won't survive because of the calories expended in all day classes and performances. What I didn't like was the shunning of Beckanne. Of course, getting a dance magazine write up as an up and coming won't make her any more popular with those that have been dancing principal for a few years. Beckanne is 19. I laughed when Allison at 20 doesn't hang out with the young girls in the company. She is aging fast, and it isn't pretty. I thought it telling that after complaining about the toughness of the Russian teacher brought in, she then comments to a couple of the others about hating all her teachers and wanting them to back her up. She didn't get that support from them.
    Florimel likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    The thing is Allison should be jealous of Beckanne. Comparing the two rehearsing the same part made it obvious Beckanne is a beautiful, natural dancer with grace in movement. Allison carries her tomboy attitude into her moves and this particular ballet, at least, isn't accommodating for that. Yes, Allison is being tested and the results are still pending.

What I liked about the meal out was the message sent to young girls that the anorexics won't survive because of the calories expended in all day classes and performances. What I didn't like was the shunning of Beckanne. Of course, getting a dance magazine write up as an up and coming won't make her any more popular with those that have been dancing principal for a few years. Beckanne is 19. I laughed when Allison at 20 doesn't hang out with the young girls in the company. She is aging fast, and it isn't pretty. I thought it telling that after complaining about the toughness of the Russian teacher brought in, she then comments to a couple of the others about hating all her teachers and wanting them to back her up. She didn't get that support from them.
    I'm pretty sure Allison said she's 28. From an interview with her:
    RK: Can you tell us a little bit about your your career and time you have spent with Ballet West.
    AD: I started at Ballet West in 2007 as an Apprentice. I had my first professional performance the night of my 24th birthday.
    Interview with Breaking Pointe Star, Allison DeBona | tendusunderapalmtree.com
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oops...I thought I heard her say 20. In that case, isn't she too old for Rex?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm guessing that a big reason that Allison resents Beckanne is because she (Allison) was considered gifted when she was 12, and she then took seven years (or however long it was) off because of family issues and fell behind. I'm guessing that somewhere inside she believes she could have been Beckanne if not for that, and it makes her mad. (Not Beckanne's fault, but that probably doesn't really matter.)

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

They really went for the Rex and Allison drama on the latest episode. Bill understands Allison becoming obsessed with roles, but he sure doesn't care for her drama or any drama during the final prep week.

Wow, they sure are ambitious putting on three very different ballets for their opening night.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    My thought about that:

Click to see Spoiler:
    I think something is going to happen that allows Katie to return to the company. This holds true given they probably let go other dancers too but only she was shown. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a catch though where she is either on probation or dropped down a level in dancing.

Just read that way to me - I could be wrong.
    In response to your spoiler, which doesn't really need to be tagged that way since it's just your opinion, I thought that at first, too. But I think she really is leaving. They filmed for six weeks only, so her two months of continuing to dance while looking for a new job elsewhere falls is a good portion of that six week period.

I just did a little digging around about Katie and everything I found (including Ballet West's official site) has her listed as a member of Ballet West II, which is the second company (Ronald is also listed there as a II company member). So, either they kept her on or they're keeping it under wraps. Someone asked her on Twitter (@itskatiemartin) where she would be next season and she wouldn't tell.

I just checked the official Ballet West site and saw a name I recognized. One of the soloists, Christopher Sellars, is the son of the couple who owned one of the dance studios I attended as a kid. Small world. Now I'm going to have to go back and watch the previous episodes to see if I can catch any glimpses of him!
    Last edited by Critical; 06-23-2012 at 05:04 AM. Reason: ack. spelling.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Thanks for the sleuthing, Critical. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes down. How fun that you know someone in the company! I hope he does show up in some of the video.

Well, I at least knew his parents. I left the studio when his mother was pregnant with him, I think.....and that just made me feel REALLY old!

That studio had quite a few successful students that were or still are in major ballet companies. Every once in a while, I come across a name I recognize. It's kinda cool.

+ Reply to Thread