+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Breaking Pointe (CW)

Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

Another article about Ballet West. It talks a lot about Allison, who has one of the lead roles.

Ballet West’s 'Sleeping Beauty' villain makes evil look good | Deseret News
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics with the ballet dancers, I was reminded of a really wonderful ballet movie filmed at the Vaganova Ballet Academy and the Marinsky Theater (which was the Kirov) in 2006. I watched it several times a while back on Netflix, but it's not available there now. Anyway, I just checked and it's on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXSqObTHvEs

For those who are balletomanes, this is a wonderful movie. Lots and lots of dancing. Not a lot of life drama. When I started watching Breaking Pointe, I couldn't figure out who Beckanne reminded me of. Now I realize it's Alina Somova, who was in Ballerina. Of course, Beckanne isn't really in the same league at all, but there's something about them physically that's similar.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oh, thanks, Critical! I'm going to be sure and watch it.]
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

I also watched it on Netflix a while ago. I've probably watched pretty close to everything they have on ballet. I don't watch all that much on YouTube, but I do watch PIlobolus there and Ill loke for this one, too.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I've watched it three times now that I stayed up WAY too late watching it again after I posted about it Now I remember that I watched it the second time because it was expiring from Netflix streaming and I wanted to see it again. I've a lot of the ballet-related films on Netflix, but I think Ballerina is one of the best.
    Florimel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Thanks, Critical, for the link. That was a beautiful film.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

ETA: On another OT side note about Ballerina, Diana Vishneva (the one who went to dance in Paris) was featured in the opening ceremony of the Olympics. She was the lead dancer in the section where the dancers all wore those lit costumes - when the swans turned into a dove of peace.
    Last edited by Critical; 02-09-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Ballet just lights up a place in my heart, as does opera.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Another article about Ballet West's Sleeping Beauty with Rex as the prince opposite Christiana as Aurora with Alison as the evil fairy. Interesting that this reviewer called Rex Ballet West's first rock star when he debuted back in 2010.

Ballet West
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Thanks for the link, Miss_Griss. I always want to see more about these dancers and Rex has been one of my favorites since the beginning.

+ Reply to Thread