+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Breaking Pointe (CW)

Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I loved seeing more dancing these last few episodes, but wish we'd have actually heard the original - and lovely - music instead of the silly stuff the CW added. Not like it was better than what Tchaikovsky wrote. l]
    I looked at the Ballet West FM page. Someone asked about the music. The answer from Ballet West was brief and to the point. "The music rights are astronomical."
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I looked at the list of dancers for next season and did not see Silver listed, so maybe she's gone. I also saw Ronald Tilton, Rex' brother, as a member of the corps. I recall him from season 1, but don't remember seeing him on season 2, so maybe he's back.

I guess I was a bit surprised at how many principal dancers and soloists we never see perform on this show. I know they must do several different ballets during the season, each with their own principals and soloists, but they just don't seem to be mentioned. It would probably be too confusing to feature them all in an eight show series.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I looked at the list of dancers for next season and did not see Silver listed, so maybe she's gone. I also saw Ronald Tilton, Rex' brother, as a member of the corps. I recall him from season 1, but don't remember seeing him on season 2, so maybe he's back.

I guess I was a bit surprised at how many principal dancers and soloists we never see perform on this show. I know they must do several different ballets during the season, each with their own principals and soloists, but they just don't seem to be mentioned. It would probably be too confusing to feature them all in an eight show series.
    He's been in the company this whole time, they just didn't feature him. I saw him in several group scenes at parties this season. The producers just must not have cared about him once Katie moved away. Ronald played one of Cinderella's two suitors. As we know, the other suitor was played by Zach and we only ever saw him on stage.

Ballet companies do multiple ballets throughout the year and often at the same time, depending on the size of the company. With something like Cinderella where they're having many performances throughout the week, they need lots of dancers. Multiple dancers had different parts in different casts. Three different dancers, including Christopher, did the prince.

The series seemed to only focus on the cast with Christiana and Rex in the lead roles and, if you look at the casts and when they performed, it looks like that was the B cast. They talked about closing night, but that wasn't the cast that performed the final evening.
    Don't miss the most famous curfew in history! | Ballet West
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Wow. Bum foot and all, Rex played a roles in all three casts. What was confusing, then, was seeing Chris rehearse the step sister role at the same time as Christiane and Rex were rehearsing. He wasn't even in their cast.

Fascinating that Beckanne has just the one role as did Allison while others played multiple roles.

ETA: I found a disc at Netflix - now in my queu.

Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet: Cinderella1957NR78 minutes

Margot Fonteyn, Michael Somes and Kenneth MacMillan star in this adaptation of the Prokofiev classic, conceived by famed choreographer and Royal Ballet of London founder Frederick Ashton. Though Ashton and company take liberty with Prokofiev's narrative, adding many changes to the original version, this production was one of the first in the West to use the composer's accompanying score.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 09-21-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I agree, Florimel. There was nothing in the show that indicated Christopher cheated on Christiana. It just sounded like he was so focused on his job that he neglected the relationship. In all fairness, it sounds like she gets tunnel vision where work is concerned as well. It actually seemed to me that Chris would have been willing to work on the relationship. Christiana seemed really set on ending it.

I've always liked Beckanne. I can understand her frustrations this season. She was given so many opportunities last season, so to be given what she perceived as lesser roles this season must have been difficult. The Esmeralda solo was really perfectly suited to her strengths. I wish we'd seen more of it.

I'm still shaking my head over Adam giving Zach a contract. I think he's the least versatile dancer of the bunch.

Really do not want to see Silver next season, if there is a next season. That woman's voice is beyond annoying. Surely there are other actual members of the company they could feature.
    Ditto, ditto, and ditto, Critical! I so totally agree with what you've said.

First, I too think I was wrong about Chris cheating on Christiana. I was just reacting to how much excruciating pain Christiana was in, and I thought that Chris must've done 'something' far beyond just being too busy with work. But they haven't even alluded to that, so I'm glad to be wrong on that one.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE watching Beckanne dance. And I'm so glad to see her bubbly personality re-emerge. Now if only Zach, who is the total opposite of Beckanne --- crappy dancer and pissy personality --- would stop being so obnoxious, I would be a lot happier.

Silver's voice OMG!!! I actually laughed out loud, for real, when you commented on that, Critical! She seems nice enough, but her voice IS beyond annoying!

And I have to comment on Allison and Rex. Allison is the poster girl for 'the grass is always greener' mixed with being the melodrama queen. She wants what she can't have and disparages what she does have. Her crazy relationships with Jonathan and Rex are so self-serving -- she expects them both to be everything to her and for her, but I have yet to see her supporting either of them or caring about what THEY need/want. I think Rex would be making a HUGE mistake, as much as he loves her (which I think he really does) if he takes her back because sooner or later, when the thrill of her having gotten him back, wears off --- I think she'll go back into melodrama mode and make his life very, very difficult. Some people thrive on being involved with someone like that, but personally, Rex seems like a loving, giving, caring guy who deserves to have a woman who is madly in love with him, and who wants to have a happy, joyous relationship with him, and who make life all about HIM and THEM!
    Florimel likes this.

Silver isn't actually a corps member. She used to be, but she's retired. They brought her back as a guest dancer, perhaps because they needed so many dancers in Cinderella (or maybe they just wanted her as a character on Breaking Pointe, since her role in the ballet wasn't important enough to be listed in the Cinderella cast on the Ballet West site.) She talked at several points about how exhausting it was to be rehearsing and how she was glad she wasn't still doing that on a regular basis.

Don't miss the most famous curfew in history! | Ballet West
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Ah, thanks for the info, Miss_Griss. I hadn't known that. To me, it seemed as if Silver just appeared out of nowhere. I wasn't familiar with the Ballet West company prior to last season, but I am pleased they were selected for this show. I hope it gives them a boost financially as all dance companies need.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Ah, thanks for the info, Miss_Griss. I hadn't known that. To me, it seemed as if Silver just appeared out of nowhere. I wasn't familiar with the Ballet West company prior to last season, but I am pleased they were selected for this show. I hope it gives them a boost financially as all dance companies need.
    I'm from Utah, so I know of them. I hope the show does help them out, because it's nice to have a quality company here. After Season 1, I was all inspired to get tickets to this year's performances, but I'm sad to admit that I didn't follow through on it.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Adam was just interviewed on a local "news" show called Person-to-Person. (I think it must be filler between the Emmy's and the 10 o'clock news.) She was talking to him about what it was like to finally be able to marry his partner of 20 years. Same sex marriage isn't legal in Utah, so they went to New York, I think. He talked about how when they got together 20 years ago, they never even imagined that they'd be able to get married, but now that they can, they thought it was a great way to celebrate their 20th anniversary. Congratulations to him and his husband!
    Critical and Arielflies like this.

During the season, Silver was listed as a supplemental artist on the Ballet West website and they did say that she was just back with the company temporarily. She's not listed on the BW site any more.

Congrats to Adam and his husband!

The TV app I use on my phone to keep track of air dates showed another episode for the show last night, but it was clear that last week's episode was the finale. Weird. I wonder if they had another episode and then decided to nix it and condense the season.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread