+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 153
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Breaking Pointe (CW)

  1. #101
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15,664

    Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

    I agree, Florimel. There was nothing in the show that indicated Christopher cheated on Christiana. It just sounded like he was so focused on his job that he neglected the relationship. In all fairness, it sounds like she gets tunnel vision where work is concerned as well. It actually seemed to me that Chris would have been willing to work on the relationship. Christiana seemed really set on ending it.

    I've always liked Beckanne. I can understand her frustrations this season. She was given so many opportunities last season, so to be given what she perceived as lesser roles this season must have been difficult. The Esmeralda solo was really perfectly suited to her strengths. I wish we'd seen more of it.

    I have no doubt Ian will do fine with his new company. I'm still shaking my head over Adam giving Zach a contract. I think he's the least versatile dancer of the bunch.

    I loved seeing more dancing these last few episodes, but wish we'd have actually heard the original - and lovely - music instead of the silly stuff the CW added. Not like it was better than what Tchaikovsky wrote.

    They didn't mention it during the episode, but Chase was given a contract with the company as well. Not sure why they made such a big deal about the Ian vs. Zach thing. Wasn't Chase in BW II as well or am I remembering that wrong?

    Really do not want to see Silver next season, if there is a next season. That woman's voice is beyond annoying. Surely there are other actual members of the company they could feature.

    Also, here's a nicely written blog about the show and about Allison's recent FB post about the show:
    When Dancers Speak: In Support of Breaking Pointe's Allison DeBona | Rainesford Alexandra
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  2. #102
    Who is John Galt?
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    983

    Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

    I guess its the dancer in me, but I really enjoy this show more than some of the ones that get more press (ANTM, DWTS, etc). Of course, I would prefer it if they showed more performing and less personal issues, but that probably wouldn't draw the audience as much (except those of us who love ballet). Regarding the personal issues:

    Zach: If I never see him again it will be too soon. What an arrogant, nasty little a** he is. Cut him from the show, PLEASE!
    Christiana & Chris: Working together dooms many marriages, especially if there is a lot of stress in both areas. We don't know what broke them up, but it must have been something more profound than just "drifting apart". They both seemed pretty upset about the break-up, more so than the reason Chris gave would warrant.
    Allison & Rex: Rex would be a fool to take her back given how badly she treated him when they were together. Now that she has basically been "dumped" by her doctor boyfriend, she wants Rex back. Unfortunately, I think Rex is so in love with her, he probably will take her back.

    To the producers of the show: Please show more dancing by these very talented people, and stop with the political correctness of featuring dancers who are less talented and very annoying (Zach) whom I fast forwarded through after the first show.
    Florimel likes this.

  3. #103
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15,664

    Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

    Do we really even know how Allison treated Rex when they were together? It happened off camera. They got together after last season ended and were broken up before this season began.

    I don't think C & C split up for any other reason than that they grew apart. He was working as a principal in the company and running BW II and she was focused on her job as well. He seems to have taken a bit more of the blame, but she acknowledged that she gets tunnel vision about her job as well.

    Agreed about more dancing and less drama....at least when it involves Zach. There are other members of the company I'd like to see on the show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  4. #104
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,717

    Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

    I'm in complete agreement with everything you wrote, aname2.

    Zach: Blech! Looks like a decent dancer, but he gets on my last nerve. The way he treated Beckanne early in the season and his disregard for Ian were deplorable. I guess he's good for comic roles.

    C&C: That's just how it looked to me and I think one or the other or both may regret their decision down the line.

    Rex would be foolish to get back with Allison. She did treat him dreadfully last season as I recall, ignoring him and pushing him away when he wanted to work on their relationship. I'm glad that he wants to be a friend to her as I find her very needy of one, but I don't think she's relationship material. At least he's aware and is trying to take it slowly.

    All JMO, of course.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  5. #105
    FORT Fogey Miss_Griss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,996

    Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I agree, Florimel. There was nothing in the show that indicated Christopher cheated on Christiana. It just sounded like he was so focused on his job that he neglected the relationship. In all fairness, it sounds like she gets tunnel vision where work is concerned as well. It actually seemed to me that Chris would have been willing to work on the relationship. Christiana seemed really set on ending it.

    I've always liked Beckanne. I can understand her frustrations this season. She was given so many opportunities last season, so to be given what she perceived as lesser roles this season must have been difficult. The Esmeralda solo was really perfectly suited to her strengths. I wish we'd seen more of it.

    I have no doubt Ian will do fine with his new company. I'm still shaking my head over Adam giving Zach a contract. I think he's the least versatile dancer of the bunch.

    I loved seeing more dancing these last few episodes, but wish we'd have actually heard the original - and lovely - music instead of the silly stuff the CW added. Not like it was better than what Tchaikovsky wrote.

    They didn't mention it during the episode, but Chase was given a contract with the company as well. Not sure why they made such a big deal about the Ian vs. Zach thing. Wasn't Chase in BW II as well or am I remembering that wrong?

    Really do not want to see Silver next season, if there is a next season. That woman's voice is beyond annoying. Surely there are other actual members of the company they could feature.

    Also, here's a nicely written blog about the show and about Allison's recent FB post about the show:
    When Dancers Speak: In Support of Breaking Pointe's Allison DeBona | Rainesford Alexandra
    I think Chase was in his first year of BW2, so he wasn't really up for a contract yet. Did he get a regular Ballet West apprentice contract, or just continue on in BW2?
    Seeking form amidst the void.

    But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

  6. #106
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15,664

    Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

    Chase is listed as a member of the corps and not a member of BW II on the Ballet West website.
    The Dancers - 2013-14 Season | Ballet West

    ETA: Press release from Ballet West about the various promotions within the company:
    Ballet West Announces Company Additions, Promotions for 2013-14 Season | Ballet West
    Four dancers, including Zach and Chase, were promoted from BW II into the company.
    Last edited by Critical; 09-19-2013 at 02:58 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  7. #107
    FORT Fanatic Photobabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Too far from the beach
    Posts
    765

    Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

    Now I'm confused. Why were they making such a point of saying that Zach and Ian were competing for the only opening in Ballet West when 4 actually moved up?
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

  8. #108
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15,664

    Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

    Dramatic tension. They wanted to use Ian and the rivalry he had with Zach, so they invented the "we only have one opening for a BW II student in the company" gimmick. I don't think Ian was ready to be in the company, but I don't think Zach was a good choice either. I haven't seen Chase dance enough to have an opinion either way. He's tall, which BW seems to look for. That's why I was surprised they went with Zach rather than Ian, although I think Ian's injury might have played a factor in Adam's choice.

    I loved how very few people were at the fund raiser in Malibu. SO staged. I still enjoyed seeing everyone dance, but that could have happened back in UT.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  9. #109
    FORT Fanatic Photobabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Too far from the beach
    Posts
    765

    Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I loved how very few people were at the fund raiser in Malibu. SO staged. I still enjoyed seeing everyone dance, but that could have happened back in UT.
    Maybe having a huge group is not nearly as important as having a group with VERY big bank accounts. Didn't they show Adam getting a sizable check from someone? I wonder who paid for the company's travel and hotel and food expenses.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

  10. #110
    FORT Fogey Miss_Griss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,996

    Re: Breaking Pointe (CW)

    Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    Now I'm confused. Why were they making such a point of saying that Zach and Ian were competing for the only opening in Ballet West when 4 actually moved up?
    And what was all of that nonsense about Chase looking for jobs elsewhere, because he was feeling impatient about sticking around Ballet West waiting for a contract and him saying that he got an offer but stuck around for Beckanne. The whole thing sounds staged now.

    Edited to add: I wonder if maybe Chase was promoted into Ballet West after only one year in BW II. I guess that's a possibility, and things were tense between Zach and Ian, because after two years, it's either up or out. Maybe they just didn't want to show Chase getting promoted, because it took away from the Zach/Ian drama. I guess we shouldn't be too surprised that the reality "story" overrode actual reality.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 09-19-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

    But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.