+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Dogs in the City (CBS Wed 8 P.M.)

Re: Dogs in the City (CBS Wed 8 P.M.)

I kind of wish they would show at the end a few weeks or months later - if the owners were doing what he said to do because I am doubtful that the lady with the new baby would ever change her ways with the dog.

I started to watch and then saw the lady with the baby and the dog. Immediately, you could tell she didn't believe the dog could accidently hurt her baby. I have no patience for a person who refuses to believe their dog is not human. I couldn't watch it. I have read too many stories of little kids getting attacked by dogs and the parents are just shocked when they shouldn't be. I couldn't watch it. I hope his was able to help the family. I'll check out the next episode.

FORT Fogey

The ratings share for last week's show was 0.9. Justin looked scared and overwhelmed when he saw that dog in a cage. Maybe he gets advice from other trainers.

I love this guy! he is so comfortable around dogs! he's just so damn yummy!I could just tune in to hear him talk( sigh)

Why do people have such big dogs , when they have so little space.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Well, I cried when the police dog received retirement honors at the station house.

Also, since when have bulldogs become so popular? I haven't had a dog since I was a child (apts where dogs are not allowed.) I'm not a cat person, and wish I could have a small, fluffy dog. Anyway, people from the townhouses next door take their dogs out for walks down the sidewalk I use for my walk, and I've met some fascinating breeds - both dogs and people.

I've heard of dog trainers on TV - the English "Walkies" lady and Cesar, but I haven't watched them. This is my first show in that category and I'm enjoying it. I was jumped by two German Shepherds as a child, though not injured as they were pulled off before they could do damage, so I do still have a fear of large dogs, but I find I do like watching them safely from my couch with the remote in hand.
    You and me both. When the dog was leaving the police station for the last time and the officers were in full solute honoring him, I was sobbing. And when the man was leaving for work and had to leave the retired dog behind it broke my heart, again, crying. I'm so glad the human partner gets to keep the dog. Never thought of it before.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Dogs In The City - CBS.com

Justin Silver trains dogs in New York City; or as he says, he trains owners of dogs.
    Yep, it's all about training the owner. Some are so stupid, and to think, some of them are actually raising children too! We were out for Father's Day today and this family allowed their little one to cry, whine, and sream the ENTIRE time. It was like they were thinking, in no way are we going to miss our meal. God forbid. So rude.
    Debb70 likes this.

The parents seemed to think it was okay for their kids to hit the dog with objects! They obviously don't have the sense necessary to care for a dog. How could they know how to raise a child? I guess that's why there are so many screwed up people around. I don't think that family needed a dog. Fish in a tank might be safe there.

Why couldn't the lady who stayed in her apt hire a dog walker for her 3 dogs? She obviously had some mental health issues. I have no confidence she will walk her dogs in the future. Sad.

I'm not impressesd with animals as guests in weddings and reception parties. I don't think they enjoy it as much as the humans believe they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    The parents seemed to think it was okay for their kids to hit the dog with objects! They obviously don't have the sense necessary to care for a dog. How could they know how to raise a child? I guess that's why there are so many screwed up people around. I don't think that family needed a dog. Fish in a tank might be safe there.

Why couldn't the lady who stayed in her apt hire a dog walker for her 3 dogs? She obviously had some mental health issues. I have no confidence she will walk her dogs in the future. Sad.

I'm not impressesd with animals as guests in weddings and reception parties. I don't think they enjoy it as much as the humans believe they do.
    I wondered the same thing. Maybe she can't afford it, but she can afford to leave the apartment in the middle of the day? She does appear to need more than socialization to get her moving and in a better state for her dogs.

Of course the dogs don't enjoy being on leash and hemmed in by all those people legs. Is there a syndrome for people who consider their dogs more than family, but children? We've seen that occur a number of times already on this show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
    You and me both. When the dog was leaving the police station for the last time and the officers were in full solute honoring him, I was sobbing. And when the man was leaving for work and had to leave the retired dog behind it broke my heart, again, crying. I'm so glad the human partner gets to keep the dog. Never thought of it before.
    I'm so glad to know that I wasn't the only one. I was blubbering so bad, my dog started licking my face.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ó Will Rogers

DH and love this show and the cutie guy who trains the animals. We can't get our cats to do anything. Not sit. Not come. Not stay. Not rollover. Most times we can call them by name several times from just across the room and they won't even turn their heads in our direction to acknowledge us. I'm sure they love us, but they're not so demonstrative as dogs. Except when DH doles out their kitty treats (I call it kitty crack) every afternoon and all five come running at the sound of the crackle of the kitty treats bag. It's fascinating to us to see a species that actually works so hard to make their humans happy. Taking on a dog seems like such a big responsibility. Cats are more like roommates who, for the most part, are pretty independent and mnd their own business, whatever that might be. Who knows? (We want a Cat-Cam!)

And so while watching the show we Googled the question: why are they so different? Are dogs or cats smarter? Oxford has come up with an answer that makes a lot of sense:

Oxford University scientists have studied the brains of 500 species of mammals, both alive and extinct, going back 60 million years, and have discovered that the brains of social animals such as monkeys, horses, dolphins camels and dogs have grown faster than the brains of solitary mammals, like deer, rhinos Ö and cats.

They appear to have a lot of time on their hands at Oxford University.

Of course, if youíre a cat, you wonít care. Youíll just stare that cat stare, then walk away, refusing to return until somebody feeds you. It doesnít matter who, as long as itís your favourite food. And only your favourite food.

If youíre a dog, youíll jump up and down, and by wagging your tail and barking, youíll signal your enthusiastic assent to anything humans come up with, even pointy-headed Oxford scientists, as long as it involves going out and chasing something. Itís also good if it involves snacks.
    ref. Oxford cracks the mysery: Are cats smarter than dogs? | Metro

Makes sense that a trait that was so basic to each species long before domestication would still prevail. But I still prefer my furry, purry housemates. They know where it is proper to go to the toilet and I don't have to deal with a Pooper Scooper! Getting to know dogs better,though, is a good thing for those of us who have never had one. So, anyway, we love the show and cried our a**es off when the police dog retired.

So, if we are talking about dogs, I wonder why the family dogs that were common back then (Fifties, Sixties) seem so uncommon now? People then had Collies, German Shepards, Poodles, Chows, and Cocker Spaniels. There weren't many tiny dogs, but there were a lot of cats. Most folks back then (and now) have domestic long hair or domestic short hair cats, sometimes with a little exotic mixed in, like Siamese or Manx.

No idea why I posted this musing on the Dogs in the City thread. I swear to God, I only had one Long Island and one Margarita at lunch with a couple of girlfreinds, but somehow I had to respond that "I really like this series". Just ignore the rest. Blah, blah, blah.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast