+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Dogs in the City (CBS Wed 8 P.M.)

Re: Dogs in the City (CBS Wed 8 P.M.)

I am going to watch it tonight, I have to hide my dogs because they think it's on for them!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

For those who have never seen Cesar Milan on the Dog Whisperer, I would encourage you to check out an episode in addition to watching this new show. I think it gives this new guy a lot of credibility. Their strategies are quite similar. The style is different, but that's about it. I think they share much of the same philosophy about how to handle dog issues.

Cesar says he trains the pet owner and rehabilitates the dog. I have seen Cesar work with dogs that classified as RED ZONE. Meaning these dogs attack anyone without warning with the intent to kill. Most trainers will not work with these dogs and recommend they be put down. Often Cesar would adopt these dogs to stay at this Dog Treatment Center in CA, where he can watch over the dog for the the rest of his life and they live with the pack of dogs Cesar has there in a healthy, stable environment. STill, I've never seen one dog he was afraid to handle and get control over. IT's really amazing. I have seen dogs bite him though. He just keeps calm.

I'm anxious to see how this new guy handles his cases. The one last week who stayed with his owner in her office was not super aggressive. STill that dog should NOT be in the workplace. It's people like her that get sued when a dog seriously hurts or kills an innocent person. (These owners may also face criminal prosecution.) Also, if the insurance company who ensures that building knows that dog is there.......she may be ordered to get him out or lose coverage.

I love Milan, I like this guy as well. He's new and refreshing and hot!
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I enjoyed Justin. We have a similar philosophy on dog training and I appreciated that he confronted that one woman about having that dog at her job which was attacking people. That was just not ok and a huge liability and a pet peeve of mine. People bring their bitey dogs everywhere and then act like they're entitled to do it. I want to shake them and go, "Dude there are some places a dog like that can't go."

I hate those "leashes" that retract as well. And I wish he would have expounded on why those are a poor choice. I still see entirely too many people attempting to use those things. And I liked how he got rid of that harness on the one dog too to be replaced by a collar to walk. I would like to see more of his explanations on that rather that something like him repetitively showing how to get over separation anxiety.

Untrained dogs is a huge pet peeve of mine.
    Retractable leashes are a poor choice because people have little control over their dog when they give them too much leash. I rehab dogs and train people, too, and that type of leash is one of my pet (no pun intended) peeves. Go to any park where dogs are allowed, as well as on the street, and you'll see dogs on those leashes leading their people and controlling the walk instead of the other way around. Most people give their dogs way too much leeway with retractable leashes. You just lose too much control. I see tons of people "water-skiing" behind their dogs on retractable leashes (as well as regular leashes stretched to the limit instead of held loosely at their side). Re harnesses vs collars, I don't know what was shown because I haven't watched this program, but I don't like harnesses because they were actually invented to encourage dogs to pull (carts and sleds, for example). It's a common misconception that harnesses give you more control or make it easier to walk a strong dog. A collar placed high up on the neck gives you more control over the dog's head and neck and thus decreases opportunities to pull. If you have no control over the head and neck, you really are going to get into a contest of strength with a strong dog. I don't mind harnesses on tiny dogs with delicate necks, as long as people know how to walk them properly.

Really? I will have to rethink their harnesses then .When I take them out( they are about 23 pounds each) I need control. I shorten up the retractable leash, they never run ahead of me unless we play on leash.. A dog lunged at one of my dogs and I was able to pull him up and out of the way. If he had been on a collar, I though I would have strangled him.

I am confused, that's for sure
    -Andy Rooney-

I was looking forward to it, but meh. Unlike The Dog Whisperer, I didn't learn anything new with this guy. (I have learned on this thread, however, that he's considered hot.) I think I'll stick to Cesar. And I'm with ya'll on the rectractable leashes. Bad news.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Well, I cried when the police dog received retirement honors at the station house.

Also, since when have bulldogs become so popular? I haven't had a dog since I was a child (apts where dogs are not allowed.) I'm not a cat person, and wish I could have a small, fluffy dog. Anyway, people from the townhouses next door take their dogs out for walks down the sidewalk I use for my walk, and I've met some fascinating breeds - both dogs and people.

I've heard of dog trainers on TV - the English "Walkies" lady and Cesar, but I haven't watched them. This is my first show in that category and I'm enjoying it. I was jumped by two German Shepherds as a child, though not injured as they were pulled off before they could do damage, so I do still have a fear of large dogs, but I find I do like watching them safely from my couch with the remote in hand.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I cried as well What wonderful dog he was.
    I still use my same leash.The dogs can run on that leash, something I dont see any of these dogs doing( running)

I love the show and I love the guy!
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Retractable leashes are a poor choice because people have little control over their dog when they give them too much leash. I rehab dogs and train people, too, and that type of leash is one of my pet (no pun intended) peeves. Go to any park where dogs are allowed, as well as on the street, and you'll see dogs on those leashes leading their people and controlling the walk instead of the other way around. Most people give their dogs way too much leeway with retractable leashes. You just lose too much control. I see tons of people "water-skiing" behind their dogs on retractable leashes (as well as regular leashes stretched to the limit instead of held loosely at their side). Re harnesses vs collars, I don't know what was shown because I haven't watched this program, but I don't like harnesses because they were actually invented to encourage dogs to pull (carts and sleds, for example). It's a common misconception that harnesses give you more control or make it easier to walk a strong dog. A collar placed high up on the neck gives you more control over the dog's head and neck and thus decreases opportunities to pull. If you have no control over the head and neck, you really are going to get into a contest of strength with a strong dog. I don't mind harnesses on tiny dogs with delicate necks, as long as people know how to walk them properly.
    The first thing I do when I train dogs and show people how to handle them is throw away that novelty toy of a retractable leash and get a real one. If people want their dogs to run on a lead I even show them how to make leads so they can go get the stuff they need and go for it. I always end up with these people who want help that don't know if they're coming or going with those "leashes" and I've watched a dog run out in traffic and get nailed by a car because the person couldn't lock the leash and then physically reel their dog in in time to prevent the accident. Already had far too much leash out at that point due to the unintended pull of more line to give a firm yank back.

If people want to use them in the personal life that is fine but I personally won't work with people who insist on using those stupid things. Training these days is a hobby for me and no longer a job. It's totally not worth it to get into the matches with owners who really don't want a trained dog but want their own bad behavior justified.

I had a friend who used the retractable leash and a harness on a larger mix-breed. He couldn't keep that thing on a sidewalk to save his life and was being drug everywhere. Got ride of the harness and got him a real leash and from that day on he never had one single new issue.

I haven't owned a small dog in years so I've had to learn alternative methods for vacating my animals out of fights. Lifting a great dane or mastiff is not feasible to get them out. Other than the occasionally weight pulling thing I don't use a harness.

I suppose in a city there is not much running. I've trained my dogs to run with out leads in fenced environments. I prefer if my dogs don't associate a lead with running or running with streets. It's just been easier to train them to run in parks and come when called. Then to teach them that sometimes you run on a leash and sometimes you don't. And osmetimes you run on the street and sometimes you don't.

FORT Fogey

Sorry I don't have a like button for your post, causingchaos! We're on the same page re training and leashes. I especially love this: "It's totally not worth it to get into the matches with owners who really don't want a trained dog but want their own bad behavior justified." I feel exactly the same way! It's one of the main problems I encounter. Now I usually screen people out over the phone with a few questions to see how willing they are to change their OWN behavior first. I do a lot of pro bono work, but I'm not going to waste my time no matter how much I'm paid!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast