+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3738394041424344454647
Like Tree352Likes

Thread: American Ninja Warrior

Big Bucks! No Whammies! Whammy Champion etching's Avatar

Re: American Ninja Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    IMHO, if Jesse had completed it and stage two, we'd likely see the first woman climb the mountain. She's very good at the strength challenges (has to be as a stunt woman). Not to say she'd make it all the way, but the odds would be stronger.

And Etching - spot on in your assessment about Kacy (and admittedly, I wished I was wrong on my prediction).
    Yeah, I agree that Jesse would be the favorite to be the first. While Kacy had some disappointing finishes the last few seasons,
    it's worth mentioning that Kacy has a severe height disadvantage.
    No question that at 5'8" Jesse has an easier time at some obstacles than someone short like Kacy at 5'0".
    Jesse's height and stunt background and training probably gives her a big advantage over every women competing on ANW...

In the spoiler below, lists the interests/skills Jesse has:

Click to see Spoiler:

General Sports: AEROBICS, ARCHERY, BADMINTON, BASEBALL, BASKETBALL, BATON TWIRLING, BOATING, BODY BUILDING, BODY SURFING, BOWLING, BOXING, CANOEING, CHEER LEADING, DIVING, DRIVE A BOAT, FENCING, FIELD HOCKEY, FIGURE SKATE, FISHING, FOOTBALL, FRISBEE, GOLF, GYMNASTICS, HACKEY-SACK, HIKING, ICE SKATE, JET SKIER, JOGGING, JUMP ROPE, KAYAKER, KICK BOXING, MOUNTAIN CLIMBING, PING PONG, POGO STICK, RAPPELLING, RAZOR SCOOTER, ROCK CLIMBER, ROLLER SKATE, ROLLERBLADE, RUNNING, SCUBA DIVER, SKY DIVING, SNORKELER, SNOW SKI, SNOWBOARDER, SOCCER, SOFTBALL, SUPERCROSS, SURFER, TENNIS, TRAMPOLINE, TRAPEZE, VOLLEYBALL, WATER POLO, WATER SKIER, WEIGHT LIFTER, WINDSURFER, WRESTLING, Swimming: BACK STROKE, BREAST STROKE, BUTTERFLY, DIVING, FREESTYLE, SWIMMING, GENERAL, Stage Combat Training: DAGGERS, HAND-TO-HAND, RAPIER, STAFF, SWORDS, Martial Arts: AIKIDO, CAPOEIRA, HAPKIDO, JEET KUNE DO, JIU-JITSU, JUDO, KARATE, KUNG FU, TAE KWON DO, TAI CHI, TAIBO, Military Training: ROTC, Dance: BALLET, BALLROOM, BELLY, BREAK, CLUB/FREESTYLE, HIP HOP, HULA, JAZZ, LINE, MODERN, SALSA, SWING, TAP, WALTZ, Improvisation: IMPROV, GENERAL, Languages: GERMAN, Dialects: BRITISH, COCKNEY, IRISH, SOUTHERN, Instruments: KEYBOARDS, PIANO, UKULELE, Miscellaneous Skills: CARPENTRY, CROCHET, EAR PROMPTER, KNIT, MASSEUSE, PILATES, SIGN LANGUAGE, STAND-IN EXPERIENCE, YOGA, Martial Arts Weapons Training: BO STAFFS, ESCRIMA, NANCHUKAS, SAI, SWORDS, THROWING KNIVES, Stunts: BOAT DRIVING, BUILDING FALLING, CHEERLEADING, DIRT BIKE, DIVING, HIGH WIRE, MOUNTAIN BIKING, PRAT FALLS, ROAD DRIVING, SKIING, SNOWBOARDING, TRACK DRIVING, Track & Field: BROAD JUMP, DISCUS, HIGH JUMP, HURDLE, JAVELIN, LONG DISTANCE, LONG JUMP, MARATHON, POLE VAULT, RELAY, SHOT PUT, SPRINTER, TRACK, GENERAL, TRIATHLON, Cycling: BMX, CYCLING, GENERAL, FLATLAND/FREESTYLE, JUMPS, MTN BIKING, ROAD BIKING, TRIALS RIDING, UNICYCLE, General Weapons Training: HANDGUN, RIFLE, Circus Skills: AERIAL WORK, CLOWN, CONTORTIONIST, HULA HOOP, JUGGLER, STILT WALKER, TRAPEZE, Horse Riding Skills: BARE BACK, ENGLISH, HORSEBACK RIDING, GENERAL, WESTERN, Driving Skills: MOTORCYCLE, DIRT BIKE, MOTORCYCLE, ROAD BIKE, PRECISION DRIVER, SAILBOAT, STICK SHIFT

Other Experience
    Fights Choreography Chad Stahelski
    boxing/kick boxing Chad Stahelski, Phil Tan
    Falls/reactions Chad Stahelski
    Xtreme Martial Arts Mike Chat
    Northern Eagle Claw Kung Fu Dave Morizot
    tae kwon do Byong Yu / Simon Rhee
    Wu Shu Li Jing / He Jing De
    Capoeira Amir Solsky, XMA
    Gymnastics Level 9 Regional and College Competitor
    Pole Vaulting NCAA scholarship athlete AAU National Champion
    High Falls 40 feet + John Ross, John Moio, Bill Leaman
    Wire Work flips/twists/kicks/crashes... Chad Stahelski, Jason Gray
    Stunt Driving Super Level 2 course Rick Seaman's Motion Picture Driving
    Precision Drive Close proximity driving Steve Buckley
    Rock Climbing Toprope Cert/Begin lead climber Beach City Rocks
    Motorcycles sport, cruiser, dirt...
    Weapons Swords (katana, rapier, broadsword... Chad Stahelski, XMA, Dan Speaker
    Staff Anthony DeLongis, He JingDe
    Diving springboard, platform, cliff Montgomery Dive Club
    Flying Trapeze flyer, catcher, instructor Hollywood Aerial Arts
    Circus Arts silks, web, neck spin, moonwalk, tight rope, hoop, hand balancing...
    Outdoor Sports rollerblades, swimming, horsework, water ski, wake board, mtn bike...
    Miss_Griss likes this.

Great finish to the season! I decided to watch this and relegate DwtS to TiVO.

Stage 2 - I was disappointed to see Allyssa Beard go out on the salmon ladder. I'm sure Jessie Graff would have made it farther if she hadn't had the unexpected slip-up last week on the cargo net. Wingnut alley turned out to be a real Ninja killer. I hope Drew is OK. It looked like he really hurt his arm on that last wingnut transition, otherwise I'm sure he would have finished stage 2.

Stage 3 - Sean went way farther than I expected him to. He seems really dedicated. Najee was fun. I look forward to seeing him again next year. Joe Moravsky was a beast all season. I was really pulling for him to get through stage 3. If he had made it I'm sure he would have been able to do the stage 4 climb.

My only real gripe about this show is that the announcers need to dial it back a notch. Other than that it is my favorite summer fare. I'm looking forward to next year.
    Miss_Griss likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I hate that we don't get to see everyone's run. We'll see some rookie who goes slowly through the course and wipes out on the second obstacle but then we find out after a commercial break that a veteran, like James McGrath, made it all the way through and we see only seconds of his run. Personally, I could do with less back stories and more footage on the course. Maybe do the back stories for people who make it through to Vegas but I don't need a full biography on everyone in the qualifying round or city final.
    Miss_Griss and sunshine3331 like this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Personally, I could do with less back stories and more footage on the course. Maybe do the back stories for people who make it through to Vegas but I don't need a full biography on everyone in the qualifying round or city final.
    This is where they need to take a page from Sasuke. They show the runners and just give the basic bios of all of them. I can see them doing stories when they're in the national finals, but everyone who tries ANW needs to get a chance for their seconds (if not minutes) in the spotlight.

And to the poster who mentioned this, yes I fully agree on the announcers needing to pull it back a notch. I don't mind enthusiasm but when you sound as though you've consumed 3 Red Bulls, a dozen chocolate bars, and a triple shot espresso with Red Bull shot...

You sound WAY too hyper and overexcited. (I may also be exaggerating on the consumption of sugar and caffeine, but sometimes it borders on this).

Worse, it's how I figured out that Kacy was not going to go far on stage one. It was the only thing more predictable than doing the math were three people left on stage 3 and 15 minutes on an untimed stage equals no one advancing.

Wish someone had made it to four and yes I think Joe would've been able to climb the rope in less than a minute. Najee was also fun to watch this season, and I wish he too had made it to the final stage.
    etching likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I too am amazed at the number who completed Stage one, but based on next week being the season finale, and it's usually two hours, I have a feeling they'll be dropping like flies stage two and we'll be lucky if we see any make it further than three.
    Yup, turns out Wingnut Alley was the equalizer in Stage 2, as more than half the field (24 of 27 attempts) failed it.
    OTOH, the final obstacle in Stage 2 is a total joke. In the six seasons in Vegas, not a single competitor has failed it!
    23 of 23 have passed the Wall Lift or the Wall Flip. And besides, the competitors are passing through it like it's not even there. Hardly challenging at all...

Sure looked like Joe Moravsky was gonna make it all the way through before falling on the seventh obstacle of Stage 3 (Time Bomb).

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I hate that we don't get to see everyone's run. We'll see some rookie who goes slowly through the course and wipes out on the second obstacle but then we find out after a commercial break that a veteran, like James McGrath, made it all the way through and we see only seconds of his run. Personally, I could do with less back stories and more footage on the course. Maybe do the back stories for people who make it through to Vegas but I don't need a full biography on everyone in the qualifying round or city final.
    I don't mind the back stories, but they could be a little bit shorter. I don't mind joining a run in progress if the competitor took a long time
    on the first part of the course. The first two or three obstacles get kinda boring after awhile...

Wouldn't mind seeing some stats on each competitor on screen. The announcers kinda mention from time to time ("his first run in Vegas!")
    but some stat graphics would be nice as well
    Miss_Griss likes this.

Stage 3 was brutal! Putting that last obstacle (Time Bomb) after all of those other upper body/grip strength obstacles with no way to rest in between was a clear message that they weren't going to let anyone win this year. I thought Joe Moravsky did an amazing job, and I was sorry that he didn't win it, but it seemed pretty impossible to do. (I only got a brief glimpse of the scope of it--should have paused and counted, but it looked like there were at least six hooks that he needed to navigate with those little tiny rings.)
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    Stage 3 was brutal! Putting that last obstacle (Time Bomb) after all of those other upper body/grip strength obstacles with no way to rest in between was a clear message that they weren't going to let anyone win this year. I thought Joe Moravsky did an amazing job, and I was sorry that he didn't win it, but it seemed pretty impossible to do. (I only got a brief glimpse of the scope of it--should have paused and counted, but it looked like there were at least six hooks that he needed to navigate with those little tiny rings.)
    I got no issues with Stage 3 being hard, with Stage 4 being a total joke (no one has failed it, including the USA vs. the World event).
    If Stage 4 had the Elevator Climb to make it harder, then I could see putting in a rest platform in the second half of Stage 3.
    But then you would need to have a time limit, as Stage 3 currently doesn't have one.
    And yeah, there are six hooks to the Time Bomb
    Miss_Griss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by etching View Post
    I got no issues with Stage 3 being hard, with Stage 4 being a total joke (no one has failed it, including the USA vs. the World event).
    If Stage 4 had the Elevator Climb to make it harder, then I could see putting in a rest platform in the second half of Stage 3.
    But then you would need to have a time limit, as Stage 3 currently doesn't have one.
    And yeah, there are six hooks to the Time Bomb
    Stage four is timed, even if it's one person, and comes right after stage three. You must complete the climb in a minute.

I know in Sasuke and the women's only version, they have a minute to complete the climb. Women's challenge I believe is running or climbing a steep pole within a minute.

Drew Dreschel and Jessie Graff were invited to compete in Sasuke this year. Both finished in the top 5. Their runs are available on youtube. Jessie competed against the men and made it much farther than any woman in the history of the competition.
    Miss_Griss and etching like this.

+ Reply to Thread