+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Like Tree352Likes

Thread: American Ninja Warrior

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

American Ninja Warrior

Did anyone watch last night? Jessie Graff finished in the Top 30 even though she fell on the last obstacle before the Warped Wall. I was glad to see some familiar faces advance as well. Mad respect for Drew Drechsel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miss_Griss and DancingDad like this.
    Wake up and be awesome

Big Bucks! No Whammies! Whammy Champion etching's Avatar

Re: American Ninja Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU View Post
    Did anyone watch last night? Jessie Graff finished in the Top 30 even though she fell on the last obstacle before the Warped Wall. I was glad to see some familiar faces advance as well. Mad respect for Drew Drechsel!
    Jessie Graff finished 26th after falling on the Rolling Thunder.
    But I don't understand why Lindsay Eskildsen didn't finish 29th?

I put screenshots of the final 5 finishers and the top women below. Click on the spoiler tag to see it.

Also, why is the minimum age for ANW 21 and not 18? Would get more people applying if the age limit was lowered...

And finally, congrats to 65 year old John Loobey, who broke his own ANW record for oldest competitor to pass an obstacle.
    Loobey actually made it to the third obstacle before falling....

Click to see Spoiler:
    Last edited by etching; 06-27-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    NoReally likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Maybe they go by the fastest times the contestants complete an obstacle. So say contestant A completed the 5th obstacle in 2 minutes and then failed on the 6th obstacle in 15 seconds but contestant B completed the 5th obstacle in 1 minute 55 seconds and then failed on the 6th obstacle in 45 seconds. Contestant A would have the shorter overall run time but contestant B finished the 5th obstacle at a faster time.

I'm not real sure how it works. Might have to look it up on Wikipedia or something.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

In terms of ranking, I'm pretty sure that they go by the time when they started the last obstacle they attempted. That's why it's so important to hurry and start the next obstacle after finishing the previous one, because if you don't finish but you start it sooner than another person who also started but didn't finish, you win because you have a better time. What's not clear, though, is where they get the times that are posted for those who didn't finish. If those are the times when they started their last obstacle, then it would seem that Lindsay Eskildsen should have been ahead of Royall Eason.

Because of this rule, I'm always yelling at the TV when people stop between obstacles to pose and play to the audience. If they don't finish the course, and they have a slower time, it won't be so funny when they don't get to advance.

P.S. I'm just basing this on commentary I've heard during competitions like US vs. The World where Jessie Graff was on Stage 2, and the other competitors had wiped on on whatever obstacle she was on, and the commentator was saying if she could just start [I think it was the down/up salmon ladder] before a certain time, she would win that event.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 06-28-2017 at 02:28 AM.
    NoReally likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by NoReally View Post
    As a woman, I am always rooting for any woman that competes in a male dominated environment... that being said, I don't believe that this new female rule is fair to the men that work so hard to make it in this competition! If women want to compete in a sport that is primarily played by men, they should have to compete with the same rules as the men... that's JMHO.
    Turns out they really changed the rules for women --- not only are the Top 5 women advancing to the regional final,
    the Top 2 in the regional final automatically advance to Vegas. Which means there are at least 12 women headed to Vegas.

But there are no more wildcards for women. Last year there were 15 wildcards (18 total women in Vegas).

'American Ninja Warrior' changes -- five women in each city final, two per city in Vegas, and no wild cards
    Miss_Griss and NoReally like this.

I thought it was cool that the guy who designed the Wing Nut got to compete on it, but was anyone else bugged by the fact that he had entered a contest, and they had used his entry but never told him they were going to? That seemed really sleazy to me.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 06-28-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    L144S, sclilred1 and NoReally like this.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    In terms of ranking, I'm pretty sure that they go by the time when they started the last obstacle they attempted. That's why it's so important to hurry and start the next obstacle after finishing the previous one, because if you don't finish but you start it sooner than another person who also started but didn't finish, you win because you have a better time. What's not clear, though, is where they get the times that are posted for those who didn't finish. If those are the times when they started their last obstacle, then it would seem that Lindsay Eskildsen should have been ahead of Royall Eason.
    Upon further review, it looks like the time posted in the results isn't the time the competitor fell, but the time the previous obstacle was completed.
    Case in point: the graphic for Jessie Graff said 1:46, but in the video below she finishes the previous obstacle in 1:49.
    Jessie doesn't even start the Rolling Thunder until the 2:27 mark.

Last edited by etching; 06-28-2017 at 07:00 PM.
    Miss_Griss likes this.

Interesting. 1:46.8 is when she started the floating bridge, which is the last obstacle she completed. I wonder if they use that (when you start the last obstacle you complete) as the time, and that's why it's important to hurry and start each obstacle without waiting too long.

Whatever they go by, I think you're right that Lisa E. should have been on the top list with the men, which would have bumped the bottom guy off.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 06-28-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    Interesting. 1:46.8 is when she started the floating bridge, which is the last obstacle she completed. I wonder if they use that (when you start the last obstacle you complete) as the time, and that's why it's important to hurry and start each obstacle without waiting too long.
    That doesn't appear to be the case though...Check out Zhanique Lovett from the Los Angeles qualifier.
    She placed 24th with a time of 3:10.59, failing at the warped wall.
    Zhanique starts the Battering Ram at 2:35 and finishes it at 3:06.
    Maybe the 3:10 is the time she steps onto the Warped Wall runway?

Hmm. Very confusing. There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern, does there?

+ Reply to Thread