+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: American Ninja Warrior

FORT Fogey

Re: American Ninja Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post

Plus, she's an athlete. Athlete's often look athletic, it happens.
    There's nothing wrong with being athletic or looking athletic. She didn't have to show the viewers that she sometimes wears high heels.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being athletic or looking athletic. She didn't have to show the viewers that she sometimes wears high heels.
    I don't see what's wrong with it if she likes wearing them. She thinks of herself as a "girly girl." Why shouldn't she feel free to express that? Nothing wrong with any of it in my opinion.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I don't see what's wrong with it if she likes wearing them. She thinks of herself as a "girly girl." Why shouldn't she feel free to express that? Nothing wrong with any of it in my opinion.
    She seems to care too much about how viewers perceive her. Why would she care whether or not viewers perceive her as an athlete or athlete/girly girl?

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    She seems to care too much about how viewers perceive her. Why would she care whether or not viewers perceive her as an athlete or athlete/girly girl?
    I think its more that people tend to stereotype her and that while she is athletic she is also a girly girl and doesn't want people to label her as either one or the other, I think she is proud of both aspects of herself. It's more along the lines of if you are a girly girl or athletic that's not all that you are.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Personally, as someone who has gotten enough blisters and a sprained ankle wearing short high heels (an inch and a half heel) I say she's got my respect as a shoe athlete as well as a Ninja Warrior...

I was just happy to see her complete the jumping spider and the wave thing. She almost made it up the wall as well.
    Florimel, spockwhat and sclilred1 like this.

I do wish they would let the women go a far as possible. At this point in time I don't think any of the females will be able to finish the course within the time limit. I would like to see how far a female can go along the course though.
    Miss_Griss, Florimel and sclilred1 like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I do wish they would let the women go a far as possible. At this point in time I don't think any of the females will be able to finish the course within the time limit. I would like to see how far a female can go along the course though.
    I personally think they should get three minutes - which is plenty of time as we saw with the one contestant this week. She would've made it most likely in that time frame.

That said - it could be them who are discouraging it because they want to show that a woman can compete with the men including the time. The men could also factor in as well here too - given we've had one alone be eliminated by 3/100ths of a second.

I can see them needing a time limit though on both in the first two stages - it really wouldn't be fair to let just the women compete to see how far they get and time the men because what if they have just the women get to the Mountain that way?

Of course, they could reduce the amount who qualify or have the same amount and the top X go to each level if they finish. That wouldn't be the Sasuke rules though so if/when they have someone make it to the mountain and win, it wouldn't be seen as a fair win.

Probably doesn't make a lot of sense - but I'd like to see at least one woman complete a stage.

They could allow a woman to continue on the course, after the buzzer has sounded, just to see if she can do it. For Pete's sake, they use enough filler that they could spare some of the time. The women would know that they would not continue on with the competition, just try to finish the course for not only a sense of accomplishment but to also maybe get other women to try out in the future.

As far as Meagan and them showing her in heels. I personally do not see what the big deal is. So what if they focused on her wearing "girly clothes" and high heels. They also focused on different aspects of the men as well. Dr. Noah was shown in the hospital as well as at home with his wife and son. Others were also shown at their work, at play, doing what interests them, etc. I personally am thankful that Meagan is showing girls/women that it is ok to be athletic and feminine at the same time. There doesn't need to be an either/or. Meagan did an amazing job during her run and is a female that little girls can look up to. If she wants to let people know that she loves heels and being "girly", that's fine with me.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schilred1
    They could allow a woman to continue on the course, after the buzzer has sounded, just to see if she can do it. For Pete's sake, they use enough filler that they could spare some of the time. The women would know that they would not continue on with the competition, just try to finish the course for not only a sense of accomplishment but to also maybe get other women to try out in the future.
    Initially, I felt the same way! Partly because I just wanted to see if they could do the course, if not within the time frame given.
    However, this is a competition, and each accomplishment is measured against each other. Meagan got as far as she did within the time frame and it will be up to the next woman to see if she can better that... if she can get further and do the next obstacle, it will be her bragging right. No man continues if time runs out and no woman should either. I LOVE that they compete at the same level. I think it gives the women MORE to strive for. Beating the men at their own game and at the same level. That's what I want to see.
    Hyper likes this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

I really do hate that there are some obstacles that people physically cannot do because of their height. Is was so sad last night to see Kaci nail the spider wall mount with her feet and just not have a wide enough wing span to be able to make contact with her hands. Obviously she did a great jump from the trampoline that went pretty far into the opening if she was able to connect with her feet. I'm not sure she could have gone in much farther.

It must be so frustrating to be the amazing athlete that she is and know that she could do all of it with no problem if she were just 4 or 5 inches taller.
    Florimel likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread