+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Dance Moms: Miami

Dance Moms: Miami

I wanted to make another thread so we could keep them straight ...

I know it's the first episode, but I'm not that impressed with this one yet. I haven't given up on it though, I'll stay in for the season and see how I feel then.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Re: Dance Moms: Miami

LOL I should just copy/paste my comments from the other thread onto here.

Victor Smalley was on season 6 of SYTYCD. The tango dancers are the same age as Maddie. I thought these dancers were miles better than Abby's girls. Their group is in the intermediate bracket. Brooke should be dancing in the same age brackets as these girls.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but the moms on this show are ten times worse, imo, than the ones at Abby's studio. They were just vicious with each other. At least the moms at Abby's studio have moments where they are friends. Really, it seems like Holly, Christi and Kelly seem to get along most of the time....and then with Melissa about half the time. It's only Cathy and Jill who seem to cause the problems, along with Abby, of course.

The moms on this show seem to NEVER get along. While I agree that, overall, the kids on this show are more talented, the moms constantly bickering is going to get really old and it may keep me from watching.

I was also shocked with how mean Jessi was to the other girl, grabbing the trophy out of her hands. Say what you will about Abby, but those girls are always really sweet to each other, no matter how the adults around them behave. I thought her mother handled that situation so badly. Even the teacher said Jessi's behavior was out of line. Based on the preview for next week, when Jessi gets put at the bottom of the pyramid, she gets penalized for it too. I definitely approve!
    mom2 and Photobabe like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I read that these moms don't really know each other. They auditioned or were selected to be part of the show/dance team. Whereas the moms with Abby all know each other already so there was a bond. Hopefully, they mellow out and actually start to form friendships. It's funny how they are painting Jessi's mother as the crazy one, she may well be. But, I think that Lucas's mother is the evil snake. She was the one who started that whole fight for really no apparent reason.

Melissa tweeted that Abby left before the group performance, her mother was in the hospital. The part that we saw where Abby is telling them that the girls don't need her and will be fine? That was right before the group performance. Amazing the scripting and editing on this show.

She wasn't even there for most of the drama, they added in clips later of her from before to make it look like she was.

Loved the dance instructors. They seemed to take pride in their students. Some of the costumes are not exactly flattering on every girl so I think they should look at that closer. The mom's...forget it.
    I am over my Dance Mom phase.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I'm sure the larger dance instructor has his "attitude" amped up for the cameras. I find a lot of the dialogue hard to understand and most of the little girls look like mini vampires to me. Abby's girls always looked so fresh faced.
    mom2 likes this.

I loved Lucas's line about his routine with Kimmy and them trying to make him seem like he was in love with her. It was something like, "They can make me do all the homework they want. I'm never going to love Kimmy."

I like Kimmy too. When Victor or Angel asked her if she'd ever done anything bad and all she could come up with is that she'd stayed up past her bedtime.....because she was doing homework = She's adorable.

I'm not crazy about how much makeup these young kids are wearing offstage. It's one thing if they're performing, but an 8 year old should not be wearing eyeliner and lipstick in dance class.

Jessi seems to make a little progress in improving her attitude and then she turns into a brat again. I disagree with Angel that he isn't to blame for the kids having an attitude with their mothers. Those kids model him and Victor and look up to them. Both of them are rude and dismissive about the moms in front of the kids. It's not okay and it's not professional.

I feel bad for Hannah that her mother is so nasty and, sorry, a bit delusional. Hannah is a good dancer, but she's not up to the level of Sammy or Jessi. She's just not. She can do the same moves, but her technique isn't anywhere near theirs so her quality of movement isn't as good. Even Lucas and Kimmy have better technique.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Kiz

If I had to chose between having my child go to Abby in my home town and driving an hour for Victor and Angel (and these were the only two choices), as much as I would hate for my kid to be on that kind schedule, I'd be on the road. I think the guys are awesome with the kids, and in the long run, I think they'll be much better dancers because they're not sucking the love of the art out of the equation. The moms, on the other hand, suck eggs. It was such a pity that Hannah overheard the harpies harping about her. On the other hand, I love Kimmy's mom, Ani, and all her OCDness...she does have to have a little something off kilter :0.

I'm glad we're seeing the nurturing side of Jessi. It must be hard to work with kids so much younger, yet other than the one incident with the trophy, for which she was rightly dinged on the loathsome chart, she's been great with they younger kids. I loved that she said she didn't have any problem dancing with Hannah in the trio.

I mis-typed on an earlier post and mentioned how surprised I was that Angel was only 23. That should have been Victor. Both guys have their strengths and weaknesses, but they seem like they make a great team together. Victor's mom appears to be a real pill at times, so maybe he had early training on how to deal with outrageous behavior. I guess if they had a whole room of Dance Moms like Ani, the show wouldn't draw attention.
    its_glinda_now likes this.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz View Post
    If I had to chose between having my child go to Abby in my home town and driving an hour for Victor and Angel (and these were the only two choices), as much as I would hate for my kid to be on that kind schedule, I'd be on the road. I think the guys are awesome with the kids, and in the long run, I think they'll be much better dancers because they're not sucking the love of the art out of the equation. The moms, on the other hand, suck eggs. It was such a pity that Hannah overheard the harpies harping about her. On the other hand, I love Kimmy's mom, Ani, and all her OCDness...she does have to have a little something off kilter :0.

I'm glad we're seeing the nurturing side of Jessi. It must be hard to work with kids so much younger, yet other than the one incident with the trophy, for which she was rightly dinged on the loathsome chart, she's been great with they younger kids. I loved that she said she didn't have any problem dancing with Hannah in the trio.

I mis-typed on an earlier post and mentioned how surprised I was that Angel was only 23. That should have been Victor. Both guys have their strengths and weaknesses, but they seem like they make a great team together. Victor's mom appears to be a real pill at times, so maybe he had early training on how to deal with outrageous behavior. I guess if they had a whole room of Dance Moms like Ani, the show wouldn't draw attention.
    I don't know, I'd be surprised to learn that Angel is 23!

As much as I HATE listening to those horrid mothers, I agree about the teachers. I'd much rather have Angel and Victor teach my kids than Abby. While they are tough on the kids, they're also kind and loving. They push the kids, but they don't get mean the way Abby does.

The mothers on this show are wretched. Debi and Susan are the worst. No, Hannah isn't as good as Sammy and Jessi, but there's no need to get into a shouting match about it while Hannah is within earshot. If Jessi did struggle like Hannah is now, you'd think Susan would be more sensitive. As with the PA version of the show, the kids behave more maturely than the adults.

A lot of times, dance moms are living through their children to some degree and Susan is an extreme case. She's already talked about how she never got to take dance lessons as a girl. She seems to have a case of stunted emotional growth. She acts more like a child than her daughter does. I would feel more embarrassed for her if she wasn't saying such horrible things about Hannah, a little girl.

I felt for Lucas when he talked about being bullied and I sort of thought Victor brushed it off a bit too much. Maybe we didn't see the whole conversation. When I danced, very few of the boys my age were gay and they were often (like Lucas) some of the best in the group. One of the guys was always dating one girl or another. He was one guy amongst sometimes dozens of girls. Those football players who gave him grief were surrounded by sweaty guys all day. Who was the smart one?
    Allie and Kiz like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast