+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Around the World in 80 Plates - Bravo, Wed 10PM

Re: Around the World in 80 Plates - Bravo, Wed 10PM

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    I've been seeing commercials for it on every FN show we record. It's been on Cupcake Wars and Chopped: Allstars during commercials. FN also has a page set up for it that you can go and read the bios of the contestants. I think they are advertising it but maybe not during all their shows?
    Harmony,

This show is on Bravo..not sure if NBC Universal also owns Food Network, but that could be why you have seen commercials. i know I have seen bios on the Bravo website too. I have seen tons of commercials, but can't remember if it was when watching Bravo or FN...LOL

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I have a faulty memory, yes . . . . but I don't recall any NEW show having it's first episode repeated - over and over and over again - like Bravo plans to do with 80 Plates.

Checked my guide and counted SEVEN showings in the first 12 hours. So, if you don't catch it at it's premiere showing tonight at 10pm (and you don't have a dvr), you can catch it again at:

11:30pm
    12:30am
    1:30am
    3:00am
    9:00am
    and
    7:00pm
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I may give it another chance next week, but it didn't really hold my interest.
    momrek06 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick View Post
    I may give it another chance next week, but it didn't really hold my interest.
    THIS.

Me too....one more week!
    KAREN

I like the show a lot so far (for the most part) -- It's Amazing Race meets Top Chef's Restaurant Wars. Fast-paced, something always happening, and then the heartbreaking drama of the losing team eating each other to pick a scapegoat.

Which is the one thing I don't like -- the elimination. Leaving it up to the chefs kind of defeats the purpose of there being a contest in the first place. They can decide to get rid of someone before a race even starts. And it's obvious that the show cast a bunch of chefs for their cut-throat personalities as opposed to their culinary skill. I can see why Chaz got cut from Top Chef after 1 day, but he made it on this show. And the real d-bag guy who admitted that he's not the best chef but he intends to win (whatshisname) -- he would never make it to Top Chef.

I hope this doesn't end up making it impossible for me to enjoy the show long-term, because the other 50 minutes leading up to the last 10 were great.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

The d-bag guy was --- wait for it! --- Nookie.

Couldn't STAND him, and I wasn't too fond of Cheven, either.

Also, MF, I agree with you that I didn't like the losing chefs having to turn on each other to pick who's going. That part totally sucked. And if Nookie's going to be involved in that aspect of this show often, I DEFINITELY don't want to be around to see it.

I mean, what's the point in watching if at the end the one who's left standing is the one who excels at throwing his castmates under the bus, rather than the one who puts good food on a plate to be enjoyed?

Maybe TPTB will straighten out that aspect of it pretty quickly.

Or maybe not.

And then again, perhaps the other chefs will clock this jerk pretty quickly and wind up having him hit the bricks before he knows what hit HIM!

In the meantime, I'll give France a try and see how I feel about this show after that.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    LOL! Well that could explain why I don't remember him! I actually watched most of that season. I've tried to block parts of it from my memory though, those women were evil bully witches.

I loved Curtis Stone on Take Home Chef! I wanted him to find me in a grocery store and make us a dinner lol. The photos of Cat on that site are jarring. She's got her hair curled and hi-lighted and it just doesn't really look like her. She looks beautiful but not what I'm used to seeing.
    I had to look it up to make sure it is her. I'm so used to the ponytail!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    The d-bag guy was --- wait for it! --- Nookie. Couldn't STAND him, and I wasn't too fond of Cheven, either.

Exactly!!!! Wanted them both gone before the first half hour was up.

Did not like it as much as I hoped I would. Not much entertainment in drunk American tourists roaming around a foreign city, so hopefully there won't be many more "yard of beer" challenges.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I think it is the Survivor tribal council losing team votes omeone off aspect that bothered me more that the amazing race aspect, if that makes any sense. If they had taken the very good Top Chef formula and just added the different location each episode/ restaurant wars-ish part, I think I might have liked it very much. I think the strategy that has to come into play when they add the vote off a team member bit takes away from the cooking great food and interesting locations, which a show like this should be about

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I just watched this. I'm with the rest of you - I don't like the contestants voting each other off.

I also didn't like the part of the race challenge where contestants had to stuff themselves and drink themselves silly. I'd rather see the challenges be something like the contestants having to figure out what ingredients are in one or more dishes they sample.
    Little Sew&Sew and Jezebella like this.

+ Reply to Thread