+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: White Room Challenge - HGTV

White Room Challenge - HGTV

HGTV Premieres The White Room Challenge Series Spin Off From HGTV Design Star (Video) | HULIQ

On Tuesday, April 24, HGTV will premiere “The White Room Challenge,” an exciting series derived from everyone's favorite episode of HGTV “Design Star.”

About The White Room Challenge

“The White Room Challenge” comes from a favorite episode of HGTV “Design Star.” The new series will premiere in HGTV on Tuesday, April 24, at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

Some of the most successful artists and designers will be competing for a $10,000 grand prize. The challenge is to design 10' by 10' white rooms using outrageous elements. Some of the design essentials will include over 1,500 flowers, candy treats or treasures from dumpster diving.

The host of “The White Room Challenge is David Bromstad, an HGTV “Design Star” champion and "Color Splash" star. Viewers can expect to see a variety of creative designs on the new series including upholstery made of flower petals and wallpaper contructed of pixie sticks and lollipops.

The expert judging panel will include Jamie Durie of HGTV as well as a rotating panel of guest judges. Some of the expected judges include Meg Caswell, the HGTV “Design Star” season six winner and veteran television designer Thom Filicia as well as Dina Manzo of "Dina's Party" and Chris Lambton of "Going Yard."

The contestants will have the help of a carpenter. However, when it all ends they have to impress the expert judging panel with how they transform a 10' by 10' white room.

Bromstad wowed viewers when he worked with a white room and made it into a stellar living space by using items puchased from a pet store. He made this amazing transformation during the first season of HGTV “Design Star.” He will be a judge and mentor for the group of designers competing on “The White Room Challenge.”

Even seven years later, Bromstad remembers the pressure cooker of being in a white room challenge. He said it was a fun way to show off individual creativity and unique design perspective. He admitted they had to tap into their ingenuity, time and budget management abilities.

In a press release, Bromstad said, “It was incredibly stressful, but people love the idea of transforming a blank canvas into something remarkable, so I know they will love the competition and the designs showcased in 'The White Room Challenge.'”

The HGTV Facebook page just announced "The White Room Challenge", stating “New Show Alert... It's everyone's favorite episode of HGTV Design Star, and now The White Room Challenge is a series all its own. And who else would we get to host it? David Bromstad, of course. Coming to HGTV April 24 9/8c!”
    This one I will watch as it was always the best thing about Design Star.
    Allie likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: White Room Challenge - HGTV

Yowza! Hooray. Like you this has always been my favorite challenge. I like that David is moving from mentor only (Design Star) to host, mentor and judge - a triple thread - LOL. I also like that one of the guest judges will be Chris Lambton. This will be good publicity for his show, Going Yard, which also starts in April. I bet the episode he judges will have grass as an element. LOL.

I'm really looking forward to this.

P.S. Love James Drury. I hope he puts together some new episodes of Outdoor Room sometime this year.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

P.P.S. I just discovered Chris' show Going Yard premiers May 12 at 5PM. Sorry for the off topic. Once the show gets going, I'll comment in the HGTV thread.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The flower challenge.

Four designers from different genres must use 1500 flowers to create a design in the three sided white room. There are a few pieces of furniture that may be used and one carpenter each, which is a necessity. A landscape designer won the challenge beating out an event designer and two room designers. His was an interesting win as he had never worked with flowers and built more structure than the others, but at the last minute figured out inventive ways to add flowers. It was the usual stressful experience that we see on Design Star, but, instead of a possible contract, etc., the winner took home $10K.

The judges for this challenge, besides mentor/host David Bromstad, were Jamie Drury (The Outdoor Room) and Chris Lambton (the upcoming Going Yard.) This was a nice introduction for Chris who seemed nervous and managed to bring into his critiques both Cape Cod (hydrangeas) and his fiancee (relaxing in a Keeping Room.) David introduced him as a renowned landscape designer. I guess the "renowned" part is due to his exposure on The Bachelorette.

This was an interesting show as it makes me wonder how I would have used the flowers. Would I have gone over the top to go outside the box, or would I have been classically restrained as the designer who put together the Keeping Room? On my calendar to watch again next week.
    Kip likes this.

I had no idea that Chris was from Bachelorette fame, thanks for that interesting little tidbit of info .

I liked this show, and plan to watch it again! My favorite was the "Keeping Room", it looked the most like an actual room. I guess that was not the point of this challenge though. The flower bistro room sounded like a great concept when she was describing it, but it was so messy looking when she was done.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    I had no idea that Chris was from Bachelorette fame, thanks for that interesting little tidbit of info .

I liked this show, and plan to watch it again! My favorite was the "Keeping Room", it looked the most like an actual room. I guess that was not the point of this challenge though. The flower bistro room sounded like a great concept when she was describing it, but it was so messy looking when she was done.
    I agree, xmaskat. I think Matt's (?) keeping room was stunning and to me, so understated and elegant. It was my favorite, too. I lol'ed also at the description of the Bachelor's Chris Lambton as a " reknowned landscape designer." Oh that Bachelor show.... it's the gift that keeps on giving. Good for Chris, though, for extending his 15 minutes of fame. I like Chris and hope he will do well. Definitely plan to watch this show again.

I'm sorry I missed this...I looked at my DVR schedule, and it doesn't show it repeating. Just the new episode next Tuesday. Darn. Maybe it will eventually repeat.

David really doesn't have much of a mentoring role. What I mean is that what is shown of his discussion with the contestants, is mostly just commentary and not a lot of constructive critique. It probably happens but is edited for time.

I would also prefer to see the judges walk-through and comments regarding the rooms' designs before the final judging. It is never fully clear (to me) as to why they choose who they choose.
    For example, this week's winner's room looked to me like something put together to accommodate someone in a barn and I don't quite see why that was chosen over some of the others.
    Allie likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Dang! I've missed it twice in a row now. I meant to watch last night but fell asleep before it started. Sounds good...

Who won the flower challenge? My video cut out on me before they named the winner. I really did NOT like rooms by the two people who "know" how to work with flowers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast