+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: White Room Challenge - HGTV

FORT Fogey

Re: White Room Challenge - HGTV

There is something missing on this show for me. I think it works better when an actual room is designed with the mission of going over the top but still representative. I prefer to see the judges walk into the room and comment on it, too. The lighting challenge did not interest me much at all.
    PA Snow Bunny and sparklete like this.

Yes I agree. The judges look at the room from a distance. I don't understand how you can judge something without getting up close to it.
    Broken glass in a bedroom...don't get that at all.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I believe that last night David said that they had already toured the rooms ealier and now it was time for the designers to explain thier designs. I took that to mean that they had seen the rooms up close but it wasn't shown. However, I have to say I'd prefer seeing the judges touring and hearing their comments.

I got last night that Eli is a talented artist - though not in a style that moves me - but where was ANY functionality in his room?
    sparklete likes this.

Kinda liked the lighting challenge but this series is just not jelling for me. There is some kind of chemistry that is missing.
    Shoepie likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Kinda liked the lighting challenge but this series is just not jelling for me. There is some kind of chemistry that is missing.
    You are right. After the first episode it was like been there, done that. While it is an episode to look forward to on Design Star, a show all on its own feels like overkill.
    Shoepie likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I can't find it on my dvr listings for HGTV, and I was hoping to catch a marathon to catch me up on the episodes.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I like the idea ... but it really did spiral down. It's almost as if the producers ran out of ideas. I want to see the judges walk through and teach me something or reinforce something on every show. For example ... the light and shadow thing was certainly an opportunity to ... ahem ... enlighten the audience.

Some comments are just so empty... such as, "you could have been more over the top." What does that mean? These judges could tell us specifically what might have been done and/or mistakes that were made.

Again, I do like it, but it's true that something is missing.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I think this show doesn't connect is that there are 4 new designers every week. There is no one to like or hate plus you don't get to see how the designers evoolve through the weeks.
    Design Star starts new week in this shows place.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I think this show doesn't connect is that there are 4 new designers every week. There is no one to like or hate plus you don't get to see how the designers evoolve through the weeks.
    Design Star starts new week in this shows place.
    I wish they had a larger number of designers and the losing one went home each week. every week they have to do a white box until they get down to one white box winner. Let us get to know them and see how they change and work with different styles, not just maybe luck into their area of expertise.
    mom2 and Shoepie like this.

It's not working for me either...it's the idea of the show that makes me watch it.
    I don't like challenges that much...too extreme for me. I like things mixed up a little now and then but I'd be happy with letting them show what they can do w/o being really strange.
    I'm not fond of the judges....most of whom, I seen become winner of Design Star....they're just not seasoned enough for me and their judgements are all over the place.
    (don't have a problem with the actual people that are judging...just with their skills)
    I didn't think Eli was a great artist like they did. I though he was perfectly weird. There's a world renowned art school around here and it produces/encourages the strangest/oddest work as "true Art." ....not in my book.
    The guy that won, Bright Lights, Big City, was a really talented artist...he should design hotels, restaurants, other public buildings.
    Just think the show needs fine tuning.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast