+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: White Room Challenge - HGTV

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: White Room Challenge - HGTV

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Who won the flower challenge? My video cut out on me before they named the winner. I really did NOT like rooms by the two people who "know" how to work with flowers.
    Allie, the guy who never worked with flowers before, David, the landscape architect won the challenge. Here's a photo of the winning room.

Allie likes this.

Thank you, Eastcoastmom. I JUST got the video to play who won. I am glad. I did not like the other room he was up against in the final 2.

Can anyone tell me who won the candy room challenge? Our DVR froze up the last five minutes! thanks!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

The guy who would use the money to fly to the Philippines to visit his aging parents. He's the one who spent most of his money on candy; I'm sorry I can't remember his name.
    livin4reality and Allie like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Oliver won and I agreed with the judges. I also liked Melissa's robot room but she just didn't use enough candy for this challenge.
    The others were awful.
    livin4reality and Allie like this.

So far I have agreed with the two I have seen: Flowers and candy. Wasn't there a third one? I need to look it up.

FORT Fogey

I just found out about this show and my first was last night.

I like the idea of new contestants each show with a money prize.

I found it odd that David gave the instructions for the rooms by saying don't put a dinning table in the dining room. Okay. Not sure how you could convey that. During the judging he mentioned that the man who did the tree should have done more trees and one table under a network of trees. Well, that is a table now, isn't it?

I agree! It seems that what they are looking for isn't so much design as an artistic statement. I thought the idea of a "rug" made of broken glass would get laughed off the show. Instead, they said she should have carried the theme further. I just didn't get it!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    I agree! It seems that what they are looking for isn't so much design as an artistic statement. I thought the idea of a "rug" made of broken glass would get laughed off the show. Instead, they said she should have carried the theme further. I just didn't get it!
    I kind of get that. Had she done a bedroom with broken glass everywhere and said her theme was a broken love affair, that would have worked.

If this sees another season we are going to see better white rooms. Everyone is going to latch on to the concept.

These were to be high concept rooms, which is why each got a different themed room. There were no walls and no preset furniture they could use like in a normal white room challenge. They were to think waaayyy outside the box using items from the collectible type store and from the supplies at the studio. They had $1,000, which is less than other challenges have provided. At the store I noticed the cameraman focusing on the "signage" that no one used and then David said "they" were expecting them to use it. This puzzled the producers when the contestants didn't pick it up.

I really liked the winning Alice themed living room. However, in thinking about it, I would have like to see her use the floor( with its painted nautical type design) as the ceiling and suspend the chairs and a small table from the rafters as though that were the floor rather than have the chairs floating in mid air. The second place finisher constructed a thought bubble of an office that blew up into a bar - way too overdone, though I liked his original concept.

Next week we'll probably be back to walls and furniture to play with.

BTW: I've watched Meg's Great Rooms new season start on Saturdays and have enjoyed what she and Mark Bartolomeo have put together.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast