+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q'Viva! The Chosen

Q'Viva! The Chosen

"Q'Viva! The Chosen" to Premiere Saturday, March 3 on FOX

Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony and Jamie King Travel Across North, South and Central America in Search of Undiscovered Latin Performers

Q'VIVA! THE CHOSEN, the first-of-its-kind docu-journey series showcasing Latin music and dance, and featuring entertainment icon Jennifer Lopez, international music star Marc Anthony and world-renowned concert director Jamie King, will premiere Saturday, March 3 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX, and will continue with two-hour episodes for five weeks until its grand finale Saturday, April 7 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT).

In Q'VIVA! THE CHOSEN, Lopez, Anthony and King will travel through 20 countries to find and showcase the most outstanding Latin singers, dancers, musicians and other amazing performers. The transcontinental journey, which includes stops in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Panama, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, Venezuela and the United States will also feature the incredible stories and personal journeys of the performers they discover.
    Q'Viva! With Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony & Jamie King

I can't believe I am the only one watching this? I think it's really good. It's almost over but I'm enjoying the Sony & Cher vibe from Marc and Jennifer. They crack me up, especially Marc. I think this is a really good show and a great showcase of talent. I wish the ratings were better though because I would love to see more shows like this.

Anybody watching? (I searched and could not find a thread anywhere for it)
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Re: Q'Viva! The Chosen

I am watching it right now and at first, just to pass time but I'm really liking it! (Not even sure how much I missed.) I don't think I can even express why these contestants/hopefuls not making it just break my heart in a way most U.S. reality show tryers-out don't. I also like the interaction between Marc and J Lo, and keep reminding myself they split up. Just an aside but it appeals very much to me that they are able to speak to the auditioners in Spanish...just adds something to me.

I've been watching it too and started to watch it because nothing else was on at that time and I like the background noise. I love that they are doing more than just singing people and it seems like there is some rhyme and reason behind how they're picking acts for their show too.

Yay! I'm not alone. The show both fascinates me and saddens me. I have a real problem with how desperate some of these people are. Not desperate like American Idol desperate but desperate as in they don't even have enough food to eat! It bothers me that they are being shown all this American excess and then it is snatched away from them. It sounds as if they want to do this show again and my suggestion would be to not take them out of their countries. Do not bring them to America unless they are going to be on the show. It just seems so cruel otherwise.

All that being said, I love this show. The talent is insane. Some of those dancers! And I loved the more traditional performers. My favorites are the Mayan musicians.

OK...so when the girl who looked like a Latin Vegas Showgirl doing nothing more than shaking her butt and calling it samba was being let go, I said to my husband "She's molting!" Her feathers were dripping off and falling to the ground, mean...I know but I was annoyed that she got a ticket when there were far better dancers who didn't even make it as far as her.

The differences between the salsa groups was insane, the ones that the entire group made it through were so much more polished and trained than the others. I don't see the three couples they pulled getting very far. I thought they were done, I didn't realize there would be more cuts! I kept tearing up over some of these, this show is fascinating and painful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by wannasee View Post
    Just an aside but it appeals very much to me that they are able to speak to the auditioners in Spanish...just adds something to me.
    I don't know if you caught the episode or not but when Marc was auditioning the Mexican American singer, he said that she reminded him of him and Selena when they were first coming up. Because like them, she didn't speak any Spanish! I think it is amazing that he can speak it so well now considering he didn't know how when he first started singing.

Harmony, I just "found" the show last night, so am going to watch the other episodes online when I have some free time. (At least, I think it looked like they are available to view on Fox's site.) I definitely agree with your thoughts on bringing the contestants to America, just to send most of them right on back. Seemed to me that most probably spent more money than they maybe had towards costumes and even perhaps not working in order to practice more. It is sad watching their dreams get busted like that.

The one boy wants to go home because he is losing himself. I hope he realizes that is just a dessert. Not all of the US looks like that. Yes it is a shock. Focus on the good. The strange people and the dessert (Las Vegas) are getting to him.
    You can do it!

There seemed to be a lot of home sickness going on. I can understand that. When I was a Junior in High School, I went with my church on a missionary trip and that was the hardest part. Missing not just my family and friends but missing my country. It felt so alienating being in a place where people didn't speak English and you didn't really fit in. I definitely understand that some of the tears being shed were for that reason and the desire to go back home.

I am extremely disgusted with Fox and how they've handled this show. Perhaps if they hadn't buried it away on Saturday night, then it would have stood a chance! It is a high rating show in Spanish speaking countries. I know it could have been here as well if Fox hadn't done it such a disservice. This last episode, 5, was just adding insult to injury. Not only did they move it to 11pm on Saturday but they spliced it up!

Commercials appeared right in the middle of somebody speaking and then when they came back from that commercial, they were ahead several minutes and we missed that entire segment. I got more and more ticked off as the show went on. The Mayan father was talking about his daughter and how she was in the hospital....BOOM! Commercial....when they came back they had moved on to another group and they never even showed if they made it through or not.

If I were Jennifer and Marc, I would have huge issues with Fox. Although I doubt Jennifer will do anything about it since she is still on Idol. Still, I wonder if they can legally do anything. I know they have no control over where the show is placed but surely they can do something about them cutting out entire segments of the show to splice in even more commercials?

I wondered what happened to it - didn't see it at the time I was expecting and then much later, was flipping through channels and it took me a minute to realize it was on. It could have been much better advertised, placed and edited. :-(

I was looking for it and couldn't find it and then totally stumbled on it at 10pm (central) on Fox last night. Totally bummed me out because this is the only singing/dancing reality/game show that I actually like and it's buried in that time slot. Fox is willing to spend night after night during the week with redundant game shows... it was nice to have something different to watch.

I was also annoyed that there were a few misspellings in the on screen translations too. I also felt the editing fell short too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast