+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Metal Jousting (HIST)

Full Metal Jousting (HIST)

Full Metal Jousting
    Sundays @ 10pm on The History Channel

Is anyone watching this awesome show??? It's so exciting - one of the fastest hours on TV for me. The concept is similar to other competition reality shows. A group of competitors from a variety of backgrounds are split into teams and joust against one another in the hopes of winning the grand prize of $100,000.

This show is about real jousting - none of that fake "theatrical" stuff. These guys wear real steel armor and get hit with solid wood lances. There's drama between the contestants but most of the real drama happens in the jousts. It is literally edge-of-your-seat thrilling.

I have Comcast and it's available On Demand if you want to check out previous episodes. I think about 5 shows have aired so far.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Re: Full Metal Jousting (HIST)

I don't know where this show is filmed, but their facility is absolutely amazing. Large, gorgeous, extremely professionally outfitted barn.

So my picks for the finals so far include Josh K., James and Jack. I don't think Rope is a good enough horseman to win it all.

Josh K and Jack have already jousted so you have to watch their eps online or On Demand.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I haven't heard of the show. I'll look it up On Demand. Thanks for posting about it!

I like this show too! I love seeing all the pretty horses, and some of the guys are pretty ok looking, too.

I was so happy that the guy who punched his horse was disqualified. What was more upsetting is that he didn't think he'd made a mistake. I could understand pushing a horse who was standing on my foot, but he punched that horse like it owed him money. I really hope that working with horses isn't his day job.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie View Post
    I was so happy that the guy who punched his horse was disqualified. What was more upsetting is that he didn't think he'd made a mistake. I could understand pushing a horse who was standing on my foot, but he punched that horse like it owed him money. I really hope that working with horses isn't his day job.
    I agree! I appreciated their "No Tolerance" policy and their willingness to act on it. His attitude was despicable. I didn't see that horse doing anything before he hit it.

I am so looking forward to this week's episode. It's going to be messy!!! Any men watching will probably have a hard time with it though

pikachu - hope you like it and come back to chat with us about it!
    Women are Angels.

I watch in On Demand during the week. I find it very interesting though a little brutal and dangerous for my taste. I hadn't known that jousting as a sport was still being done; I've seen it only in the movies, so I am curious, but I haven't yet been able to focus on the contestants except for the smaller young man who did unexpectedly well his first time up.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

So - I admit to being a bit surprised that Mike was the one chosen to come back after Brian left. I don't know if Shane was trying to be equitable to the Red Team or what but I thought that Mike was one of the weakest there. His lower than average riding ability is what led to his unhorsing (notice how Nathan regained his seat even after a hit that would have unhorsed a lesser rider?). Although I do think there was a poor call about the reins on the first pass.

I am totally confused about Jack - I could have sworn he won the match against John but they showed him as being one of the alternates up for consideration when Brian left. I wish the website had a bracket or something so we could see who was matched against who and what the outcome was.

I couldn't believe that Tom got not one, but 2 guys in the berries! Holy cow.
    Women are Angels.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I watched it On Demand this weekend, although they didn't have episode 3 available. I'll try to watch it online today.

It's an interesting show but will be even better once the guys are further into their training. Most of the joust matches have been disappointing. It's interesting that the guys who do well in practice generally don't do well in the match and vice versa. Perhaps the ones who did well in practice feel overconfident during the match and the ones who did poorly in practice are desperate not to be eliminated.

I felt so bad for James getting a concussion during practice. I guess he must have hit his head when he fell, although it looked like he fell face down so I don't know how the back of his head got cut.

I was very happy with the coaches no tolerance policy toward violence to the horses. A horse that is mistreated could be ruined from ever being able to compete again because it won't be able to trust its riders. Plus, there's no excuse for hitting the horse. It didn't mean to step on the guy's foot and he should have known that. It would have been slightly better if the guy had said he just over-reacted because he was in pain from his foot being stepped on and felt sorry about it later but the fact that he saw nothing wrong with his actions was disturbing. If he can strike a horse and feel nothing about it, he could purposefully strike out at someone in a match, hitting them somewhere other than their grand guard to hurt them or knock them off their horse. This isn't the middle ages, though, and jousting as a sport requires rules to keep the riders and the animals safe. That guy had no place in this sport if he couldn't follow the rules.

This week's exciting episode we had the last of the main jousts where show jumper James Fairclough narrowly defeated eventer Joe. I thought they were pretty evenly matched and it could have gone either way although I was rooting for James. I can see also why James prefers Superman. That horse has a great conformation and amazing power.

So the Semi-Finals matchup looks like this
    Josh K. vs Paul Suda ( winner - Josh. K.)
    Rope vs. Josh A.
    Nathan vs. Matt
    James vs. Jake

The camera work during the Josh/Paul joust was awesome. Seeing the hits that unhorsed them both was amazing.

I'm surprised they didn't put the 2 cowboys against each other. Also, you could see Matt was still favoring his groin injury so it will be interesting to see how it affects him in the joust.
    Women are Angels.

It seems to me there's a flaw with the armor design. Isn't it designed to protect the guys? Some of the guys have gotten pretty serious injuries to their face that seemed to be CAUSED by the armor. I would think the helmet should have padding in it to protect the guys from lacerations from the armor when they get unhorsed. Plus, so many guys have gotten hurt by a hit between the legs. Isn't there supposed to be a codpiece, metal plate, or padding there to protect the area?

Last night's episode was very interesting. The two guys I thought would win their joust, James and Rope, lost and the last joust (Nathan vs. Matt) was a real dud. Hardly any points won by either guy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast