+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Love Broker - on Bravo

The Love Broker - on Bravo

Has anybody watched this?
    I saw quite a bit of the first episode the other night.
    I so prefer this woman to Patti Stanger!! And, she's a matchmaker who's actually married with kids!! What a concept....
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Re: The Love Broker - on Bravo

I watched it and you're right...she's much better than Patti, for sure! Unfortunately, I didn't like her very much. But I did like the show and her ways of matchmaking. I can't put my finger on it but I did find her somewhat annoying to her husband.

I like her ways of matchmaking, as well. She does seem to take delight in putting people together.
    I do understand what you're saying about her personality, though.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Not a fan of her personality AT ALL. I thought she was crass and tacky. I like her method of matchmaking better than Patti's, but that's not saying much.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I still like her way of matchmaking and she seems very intuitive about her clients, which is very helpful. But, lordy, I know I'm old and possibly old-fashioned too but do all young women feel the need to use such graphic language? I'm probably so out of it that I think it's unnecessary and doesn't add anything to someone who looks so good, intelligent and appears so smartly dressed. Aren't there better words than "tits," "balls?"
    Or is this just the norm for young women today? I find it rather jarring to hear that come out of her mouth.
    I'm really interested in knowing if I'm just not aware of what goes on.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I still like her way of matchmaking and she seems very intuitive about her clients, which is very helpful. But, lordy, I know I'm old and possibly old-fashioned too but do all young women feel the need to use such graphic language? I'm probably so out of it that I think it's unnecessary and doesn't add anything to someone who looks so good, intelligent and appears so smartly dressed. Aren't there better words than "tits," "balls?"
    Or is this just the norm for young women today? I find it rather jarring to hear that come out of her mouth.
    I'm really interested in knowing if I'm just not aware of what goes on.
    I guess she identifies a lot with the way guys talk. I think she sounds more like a guy than a girl. I admire that ability in my girlfriends-the ability to think like a guy. She did say she would not take on guys only interested in sex. So that is good.

No I do not like the tits and ass talk.
    Last edited by Lizard; 03-14-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    I guess she identifies a lot with the way guys talk. I think she sounds more like a guy than a girl. I admire that ability in my girlfriends-the ability to think like a guy.
    No offense to you Lizard, but I couldn't admire a woman who acts or thinks like a man. Their way of thinking is good for some things but a woman's way is good for other things. I'm happy to be a woman and think like a woman, that's the greatness of having both sexes. I think women who act like men are doing a diservice to themselves. What man wants a woman who acts like a man? might as well be gay if that's appealing.
    (again, don't mean to be rude to you)

I don't think Lizard meant that she ONLY thinks like a guy, but that she is able to think like a guy. It's definitely helpful in her line of work.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't think Lizard meant that she ONLY thinks like a guy, but that she is able to think like a guy. It's definitely helpful in her line of work.
    Agreed. I think some of the most successful women are the ones who know how to switch back and forth. I am in a field that while it is getting better in the younger ranks, higher up where I am, it is still male dominated. I can get crass with the best of them. I can also talk sports with the best of them. And I can flirt with them if need be. But at the end of the day, I can think as well or better than many of them. It may sound stupid, but sometimes you need to use what you can to get in the door - THEN you can use your brains and show them what you have. If a man looks at you the same way as he looks at his wife (and I swear I don't mean this as a negative, although I'm sure it will sound like it) - good for taking care of the kids, then he is not going to give you the chance. But if you can talk sports and stats with him, then he stops looking at you like that. Then you can really show him what you can do for him - professionally speaking, I mean. Like it or not, this is still the reality of the business world. You can work to change the rules or you can decide to play within them. I have chosen the latter, within my boundaries and guidelines, and it has worked well for me.

KatesMom, I do understand what you're saying and I agree that there are times/situations where you need to leave your femininity at the door and the work place is one of those places. I have no problem with that at all. But I just don't think that the Love Broker, in her work, needs to speak so crassly and vulgar. I don't have a problem with her asking what kind of body shape the guys prefers, because that's important to know, doing what she does. I just don't think she needs to use locker-room language to achieve what she needs to know or advise him how to act.
    But like I said, it could just be me and my old fashion ways.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast