+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Fashion Star (NBC)

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Fashion Star (NBC)

This new show premiers Tuesday, March 13 at 9:30 eastern. There is a lot of information on their website, but I'm only going to post the basics about the show.

Fashion Star - NBC Official Site

Hosted by
    Elle Macpherson

Celebrity mentors
    Jessica Simpson, Nicole Richie,
    John Varvatos

Featured buyers
    Caprice Willard, Terron E. Schaefer, Nicole Christie

NBC kicks off the new year with the new reality competition series "Fashion Star," which will search for the next big brand in fashion. Featuring host and executive producer Elle Macpherson along with celebrity mentors Jessica Simpson, Nicole Richie and John Varvatos, the series will give 14 unknown designers the chance to win a multi-million dollar prize to launch their collections in three of America's largest retailers: Macy's, H&M and Saks Fifth Avenue.

Each week, the show will begin with an exhilarating fashion show unlike anything seen before featuring musical performances, dancers and models in front of a studio audience. Every fashion show will be built around a weekly challenge that is designed to further develop and expand the designers' brands.

The series will feature clothes designed for America to buy, and it has enlisted three of the world's top retailers to help in the decision-making process. Caprice Willard (Macy's), Terron E. Schaefer (Saks Fifth Avenue) and Nicole Christie (H&M) will serve as the judges who make on-the-spot decisions as they vie for the right to purchase and exclusively carry the work of the up-and-coming designers each week.

At the end of each episode, America will have the chance to immediately purchase the winning designs showcased on the episode that week. What viewers see on TV that night will be on the streets and in stores immediately. With just a single trip down the runway, "Fashion Star" will change the lives and fortunes of these aspiring designers forever.

Each week, designers who do not sell any of their items to the buyers will be up for elimination. In addition, celebrity mentors Simpson, Richie and Varvatos will be able to save one of these designers from the chopping block.

The fashion designers featured on the show will include everyone from the stay-at-home mom who makes her own clothes to sell at the local community market to the recent design school graduate who has held jobs with major design houses to an engineer who became a self-taught designer. Many of the contestants will come to the competition with their own existing lines and will be challenged to take their brand to the next level. All the contestants will be put to the test to see how they react in a variety of real-world scenarios to determine who has the vision and desire to build a fashion empire and achieve his or her dream. With top experts as their guides and mentors throughout the process, designers will have to be as adept in the business of fashion as they are in their creativity as it's up to them to make their brand a national reality.

In the end, one designer will successfully combine fashion and business to become the next Fashion Star and will receive the prize of a lifetime - $6,000,000 in orders for capsule collections in Macy's, H&M and Saks Fifth Avenue stores.

The "Fashion Star" format was developed by Ben Silverman of Electus (NBC's "The Biggest Loser," "The Office" and "The Tudors"), Rick Ringbakk of Emmy Award-winning 5x5 Media ("Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution"), and E.J. Johnston and James Deutch of EJD Productions.

The show is executive-produced by Elle Macpherson, Ben Silverman of Electus, Jane Lipsitz and Dan Cutforth of The Magical Elves, Rick Ringbakk of 5x5 Media, and EJ Johnston and James Deutch of EJD Productions. Electus/Engine Distribution will retain all international distribution rights
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

re: Fashion Star (NBC)

Macy's, Saks Fifth Avenue, and H & M actually bid in front of everyone. That's interesting.

ETA: Okay, why do I see this rock show and not an actual fashion making show? Oh no. booo

ETA: Now it looks like a fashion making show. lol I like the designer who made the bubble cocktail dress. He's a good one.
    Last edited by CupidGuest; 03-13-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Edmond got a 60,000 dollar offer from Macy's. Orly the zipper designer got two offers from H & M and Saks.

Man I can not find a live stream feed for this show. Don't know if I can stay up to watch it as it is on in about an hour here. :-(

Interestingly the shift dress made by the stay at home Mom is at H&M for only $19.95, which is definitely reasonable. The Kaftan, white and black dress, and 'webbed' shirt are at Macys for $79, $110, and $89 (I think). The zippered mini is at Saks for $350!! Holy Freaking Smokes..not exactly reasonable in my opinion, but I guess that's Saks for you.

I'm not sure what I thought of the show. The music was much to loud- especially the background music. Elle needs to stop looking like she is reading off the Teleprompter (even if she is), and somehow I was pretty bored halfway through. It seemed way too repetitive and I didn't know how many more designers were coming out- it never seemed to end. I didn't like that about 4 of the desingers just got a quick 'recap' of what happened on stage and we didn't really see the whole thing. I guess it just seemed like too many overall. I'll give it one more week to see what I think after another episode.
    jucamer likes this.

FORT Fogey

I really liked this fast paced show, very much. The short guy with the hat has got to go. He is just way too over the top and I agree with the man from Sacs. He thought he was too wrapped up in being a comedian and not a good risk should he come up with a good idea. His constant crying was irritating and NOT cute. Loved the booted the arrogant guy who disrespected women. What was he thinking?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Dear Guy Who Was Eliminated:

Not a good idea to insult the two female mentors and two female buyers with comments about how they can't fairly decide what comprises a good menswear line. They were all obviously unhappy with your comments . . . you don't have to respect their opinions, but you should not have been condescending towards them - 'cause you're GONE now.

combatcutie, jucamer and Babbred like this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I didn't like that Aussie guy one bit. You don't disrespect potential buyers of your clothes by telling them they aren't qualified to judge menswear because they're women. I wanted to reach through the screen and slap him when he kept saying that. Those women make decisions every day about which clothes will sell well in their stores. Doesn't matter if it's men's wear or women's wear. They obviously know what they're talking about.

I'm so glad they sent that douche home. I wouldn't buy clothes from his line even if they did look good because I was so offended by his attitude.

What the heck was the one lady thinking showing only ties she designed?? She claimed to have a whole collection so why not start with the outfits and move on to accessories later in the show, or show the accessories with her outfits?

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I was pleasantly surprised that I liked this show. The short guy with the hat is annoying, but his black sparkly dress was beautiful and I could see myself wearing that. As for the guy that got booted, what an @ss. You don't disrespect potential buyers and mentors by being a pig & telling them that they don't know what they are talking about when it comes to men's clothes b/c they are women. Glad they booted him. Maybe next time he'll think before he opens his big fat trap
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I loved the music, and the fact that the show moved so fast. I liked the dress the little guy made, I would wear it, only a tad longer of course.He was annoying, but the Aussie that got the boot was more annoying. ( jerk!) I really like Jessica she is way smarter than people think.

My daughters loved the mini skirt( two for one) until I told them the price.
    Shoepie and JavaJo like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1234567891011 ... LastLast