+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Fashion Star (NBC)

re: Fashion Star (NBC)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I really wanted to like this show but didn't. I'll give it another try though.
    I really should give it a chance because I didn't even finish the first one yet...but I will. Could just have been my mood at the time.
    With so many posters here liking it, I suspect it was me that was the problem.

I wanted to like it too but I lost interest about halfway through. I guess I'm spoiled by Tim Gunn and Project Runway. I might give it another try.
    I did see Jessica Simpson put the arrogant designer in his place and was proud of her. So many people write her off as ditzy but, the proof is in her sales figures.
    Allie and Babbred like this.

I thought it was so-so. The designs seemed pedestrian and it really didn't hold my attention.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I really wanted to like this show but didn't. I'll give it another try though.
    I really should give it a chance because I didn't even finish the first one yet...but I will. Could just have been my mood at the time.
    With so many posters here liking it, I suspect it was me that was the problem.
    It's not you that is the problem. I dvr'd it and was so glad that I could fast forward after about half of the show. The intro was weird, the "mentors" irrelevant, the "buyers" were just an infomercial for their respective stores, and Elle was reading from her teleprompter the entire time! What a hot mess of a show! Not sure if I will watch another episode. Even the designers seemed very non-professional. Not a classy program at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post

Speaking of sales, here's something that really puzzles me. Without knowing beforehand specifically which designs Macy's, H&M or Saks will buy, how can the show have the winning designs already manufactured in quantity (even if only a small quantity) and ready to sell the day after the show airs???????? Or, do they manufacture ALL of the designs and if so, what do they do with the ones that aren't picked up by one of the stores? That seems like a huge waste of money. The only thing I can think of, is that the show is actually produced so far in advance that the winners have ample time before the show actually airs, to have those designs manufactured and ready to sell.
    The show is filmed months in advance, so they already know what designs are going to where when bought. The designs shown are essentially test patterns and designs so the buyers can see what it's going to look in fabric 'sted of paper, so they can adjust if needed here and there.

But because it's done months in advance, they already have the purchases made into stock and have the stock shipped to the stores. I woudl say it poses a challenge though because you'd have to have special stockers who keep an eye on the boxes so they're not opened too soon - well that or the companies that ship the materials potentially have a VERY long night.

My question would be if the numbers they listed as buying (the bidding numbers) are how much in fabric/time they're willing to spend on making the product to sell. Example, will a designer who got a sale for $60,000 have more items to sell than someone who had $40,000 in their sell?

Honestly, I like this show, even if it feels a bit vanilla right now. I like the idea that people actually have a chance to have their items sold in stores instead of it being just a fashion show like 'Project Runway.' I like the idea that there are chances we as the general public can purchase these items.

I do agree most of these designs were too pedestrian, and it's why we only had 6 designers actually sell items in the stores. There were a couple I loved though, such as the two looks in one skirt. Saks made a smart purchase there - too many people such as myself cannot afford items in the store becuase they're expensive. The rare case we could we'd want something that is two for one/most bang for our buck. With just a slight adjustment, that dress will probably sell well there.

The Aussie guy I think might've actually gotten H&M's business had he not been chauvinistic. That said, I think even there he'd been safe over the gentleman who was saved by the mentors had the other gentlemen not been given the reprieve. I think it was obvious in the buyer's expressions they had to change their decision.

As far as the designers - Jessica Simpson once again shows that she may play dumb but can make good decisions (I think her dumb act is just that an act more often than not). I wasn't even annoyed too much by Nicole Richie (though I think she looks FAR older than me and I know she's younger by a couple of years).

The buyers for the most part also give some good advice on making the designers work hard to get their business - shows business smarts and I think many will take that advice to heart.

I hope they're able to expand this a bit more and have some higher fashion and innovation though - or it will get too bland to the point that it won't make a second season.

It's the first reality show I"ve seen that is relatively fresh and new - and best of all - people can win many times over the season and not just try for one main prize.
    Allie, norealityhere and Babbred like this.

FORT Fogey

I took an IQ test this summer and have been obsessed over the concept ever since. I know I shouldn't be and that it is just a number, but I can't help myself.

I read that Jessica Simpson has an IQ of 150 which is genius territory. Nicole is said to have an IQ of 130 which is Harvard/Yale territory. I've read that Jessica is a member of MENSA. I believe the minimum IQ of MENSA members is around the 130 mark although I don't think Nicole is a member (technically she may be eligible).

Regardless, both women are off-the-charts smart. Jessica's looks and happy personality and smile are misleading. Socially she may be one way, but intellectually, she's another - and it explains how she created a $5billion dollar business almost overnight as a very, very young person.

Nicole is also deceiving given her party ways and friendship with Paris, but she's got her act together now and she is on her game.

I'm a big fan of both these women - NOT because they are smart but because they embrace that side of themselves and run with it without fear. Jessica could have easily stayed in the sexy-singer/actress mode but she chose to create a business. And, she doesn't shy away from who she is - a few extra pounds and all (love her!) Nicole could have stayed hooked on substances and spent all her time clubbing with Paris, but she cleaned it up and is off to a productive life. I saw her on WWHL and she IS smart - and delightful - and unafraid to be herself in the same way Jessica is.

P.S. I do not recommend IQ tests unless you sort of know you are going to do well going in. I took mine at a very difficult time. Had it come back any lower, I would have been emotionally crushed. I did "ok" and the score will work for me psychologically, but it still bugs that I'm not a genius (although I never really thought I was)! The flip side is that the various individual scores that go together to make a composite score have been enlightening in a very meaningful way. They explain a bunch about how I learn - where my strengths and weaknesses are, etc.
    Last edited by Jexter; 03-20-2012 at 11:32 PM.

It was so rushed tonight. I liked it much better last week. OTH Oscar has gone home
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I have to agree I felt this week was a bit rushed, but did at least highlight some good outfits.

The guy from Texas actually did have a good idea with the bolero, but I agreed on the fabric choices for his and a couple of other designers. (The Saks buyer's comment that the jacket looked like Joan Collins "Dynasty" is exaggerating though - the sleeves were NO WHERE CLOSE. Fallon's coats... OK, there he'd had a point ).

The one designer whose dress went to Saks - I admit I felt it was a little boxy, that said, if the tie is a little longer you could do a fitted middle dress if choosing. It does however have the right design appeal in that just about anyone - curvy, rail, pregnant, could wear the outfit.

The other dress that went to Macy's I had nailed as if it was going to make a sale it'd be it. I thought it was a lovely simple dress, and one that just about anyone could buy.

Zimiro's shirts were actually well made and nice - he earned his win too. Loved that he actually had to choose between the stores - they'd worked well at either store, but I do feel he made the better choice with Macy's as most states have them (or at least recognize the store easier).

Tuxedo pants? - Well, she did an impressive job on limited time when she scrapped her original outfit, and wans't too surprised H&M got the sale (it fits their design asthetic best). That said, I was also surprised at how humble she was that she realized she could design if she could get the sale after designing the outfit on limited time. She does however need to be cautious because just because it worked this week it might not all the time.

Lizzie's outfit I didn't think was bad, but I do agree on the fabric and it being another top factored in. I think the judges though saw her potential.

Oscar - less said the better: His attitude sucked, the outfit had potential but again bad choices. He also - unlike Lizzie, didn't have a sale.

Definitely loving the mentors here and even the buyers with their honesty.

DO think they're rushing things a bit more, and almost telegraphing say the top 5 or so IMHO the way they're handling it currently. HOpefully there are a few distractions though.

Zimiro(sp) , I picked him to win .I love what he designs. I really liked the tuxedo pant, I would wear that in the summer.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

My favorite was the pink dress Macy's picked up. So cute and I would wear it.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I enjoyed this week's episode more than last weeks but do agree it felt rushed. I hate that we can't see ALL of the designer's runways! I was especially upset that we didn't get to see the designer (can't remember his name) that received offers from all 3 stores! I am glad that little munchkin went home - he was nasty and I couldn't stand a minute more of his crying
    NFL1 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread