+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Fashion Star (NBC)

re: Fashion Star (NBC)

I loved them showing the three variations of the same design. It shows how different a look can be simply in a different color or type of fabric. And how versatile the design is or is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think that's the difference between high fashion and ready-to-wear. The stuff on Project Runway can be over-the-top and fabulous, but not that many people buy clothing like that. With this show, and based on the 3 stores buying, the clothing needs to be designed to be worn by the general public.

As others have said, I think the designs will improve as the season continues and the designers get more input from the mentors and the buyers. I think it makes perfect sense to have 3 versions of the same design. It shows the versatility of the design, which is often the name of the game with ready-to-wear.

I'm so glad that Aussie jackass got the boot. I guess that whole chauvinistic Australian man stereotype may have some merit. Even if he felt that women don't have any idea about men's fashion, he should have known enough to keep his mouth shut in that context. One of the things I dislike the most in contestants on these types of shows is arrogance and an unwillingness to take advice from people who have more experience and who are there to help.
    Luv'd his final confessional where he tried to apologize and said that women did know fashion but that they didn't know "high fashion".
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Luv'd his final confessional where he tried to apologize and said that women did know fashion but that they didn't know "high fashion".
    since when is a leather bomber jacket "high fashion"? Now I love me a leather jacket, but come on. If he would have kept his mouth shut I think they would have kept him. And I don't think he learned anything
    either.

I really wanted to like this show but didn't. I'll give it another try though.
    I really should give it a chance because I didn't even finish the first one yet...but I will. Could just have been my mood at the time.
    With so many posters here liking it, I suspect it was me that was the problem.

To the Point

I liked the first show being so fast that it wasn't boring and didn't get bogged down. Who knows how the rest will play out but I'm sure that I will continue to DVR and watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I really wanted to like this show but didn't. I'll give it another try though.
    I really should give it a chance because I didn't even finish the first one yet...but I will. Could just have been my mood at the time.
    With so many posters here liking it, I suspect it was me that was the problem.
    I wasn't sure, but I ended up enjoying it. It isnt project runway and that's what I like about it.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

One of the things I liked best about the show is that they did not, like Project Runway, spend half the time showing the designers struggling to design/make the clothes and bad mouthing/fighting with each other. For me, I've had more than enough of that. This show focused more on the excitement of backstage, and the runway, and what happens after the runway. I appreciated this, and think that showing us the actual selling of the clothes was a really novel idea --- not to mention allowing the viewers to actually buy the clothes!

By the way, I'm not dissing Project Runway, because whether I like their designers' choice of clothes or not, I always appreciate how interesting and creative most of them are. I'm just pleased that Fashion Star focuses on a slightly different portion of the design/sale process.

Speaking of sales, here's something that really puzzles me. Without knowing beforehand specifically which designs Macy's, H&M or Saks will buy, how can the show have the winning designs already manufactured in quantity (even if only a small quantity) and ready to sell the day after the show airs???????? Or, do they manufacture ALL of the designs and if so, what do they do with the ones that aren't picked up by one of the stores? That seems like a huge waste of money. The only thing I can think of, is that the show is actually produced so far in advance that the winners have ample time before the show actually airs, to have those designs manufactured and ready to sell.
    Last edited by Imperfect1; 03-16-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    Babbred likes this.

Its taped isnt it, so once the show airs, they have it all ready.
    -Andy Rooney-

I saw an interview on the local news here in Seattle with the red head gal, that designed the tunic that Macy's bought.

She mentioned it was hard for her not to say anything for 8 months. So, it was filmed a while ago.

Yes, so its all ready to go( sell) after the show.Thats some secret to keep for 8 months
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread