+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Fashion Star (NBC)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

re: Fashion Star (NBC)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    And why would the show have you show 3 variations of the SAME design. That makes no sense to me. I hope that concept changes.
    I don't see anything wrong with that. You can do the same design with different fabrics or different accessories and make it look totally different. Often in stores you'll find racks with variations of the same outfit. That way you can pick the fabric or color you like best or buy all the varieties if you like the outfit enough.
    combatcutie, Florimel and Babbred like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Where are you finding the info on what sold and where would you buy it anyway? That part eludes me. I would think they would give sites at the end of the show.
    I knew by which buyers bought it what clothes would be at which store, and they did have the info about where to buy it at the end of the show, but it was brief. I was curious to know what the prices would be. I went to H&M's website and the blue dress showed up right away, at the price point of $19.99. I may have had to click on it to see that it was sold out. Macy's was harder to find, and I had to go back to the point in the show where it showed what to type in online before I found it on their website. I'm not sure if that's because I was using my nook to get online, or if it was just not as accessible as H&M's was. I didn't try to look for it on Saks, so was glad someone else posted that info.

why would the show have you show 3 variations of the SAME design.
    Imperfect1, I believe that was because the buyers at this point will only be buying one item from the designers each week, not a collection. IMO it was a good thing because while they are only allowed to show the one design they were able to showcase it in a couple of variations to let the buyers see a whole vision of that one item.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with that. You can do the same design with different fabrics or different accessories and make it look totally different. Often in stores you'll find racks with variations of the same outfit. That way you can pick the fabric or color you like best or buy all the varieties if you like the outfit enough.
    Absolutely, one size or color doesn't fit all.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

If you go to the official Fashion Star website and look under the Look Book section, you can view the fashions and the ones that are available in stores have a link to the store where you can buy it. So if you click on View under Edmond's Sleeveless Halter Dress, it has a link to Macy's, which shows the other outfits available at Macy's and what they cost.

There seems to be something wrong with the Look Book right now because if I click directly on it or on more looks, I just get a page of code. However, if you click on one of the working links then you can use arrow keys at the upper right of the screen to scroll to the previous and next outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Where are you finding the info on what sold and where would you buy it anyway? That part eludes me. I would think they would give sites at the end of the show.
    H&M, Saks and Macy's are the stores that are participating. You'll find the designs at the stores that bid the highest for the clothes. So let's say you really liked something the Macy's buyer picked up....just google Macy's and do some online shopping..or browsing. H&M has the dress they purchased on the front page of the US website. I'm sure the others do, too, although I haven't looked yet.

If you're showcasing your work, why would you not show your most fabulous designs?????
    I imagine they are saving their best designs for later. The further along they get, the tougher the competition, I would imagine.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

JavaJo are they also in the stores? I thought I heard they will be.
    -Andy Rooney-

They are supposed to be, but I haven't been shopping lately so I don't know first hand.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    But I was surprised in a negative way by the actual clothes that the designers chose to show on the runway --- they were unbelievably disappointing. I didn't see one outfit that made me say WOW! There were a few interesting ones --- but for the most part, I was so sorry to see how uninspired most of them were. If you're showcasing your work, why would you not show your most fabulous designs????? And why would the show have you show 3 variations of the SAME design. That makes no sense to me. I hope that concept changes.
    I think that's the difference between high fashion and ready-to-wear. The stuff on Project Runway can be over-the-top and fabulous, but not that many people buy clothing like that. With this show, and based on the 3 stores buying, the clothing needs to be designed to be worn by the general public.

As others have said, I think the designs will improve as the season continues and the designers get more input from the mentors and the buyers. I think it makes perfect sense to have 3 versions of the same design. It shows the versatility of the design, which is often the name of the game with ready-to-wear.

I'm so glad that Aussie jackass got the boot. I guess that whole chauvinistic Australian man stereotype may have some merit. Even if he felt that women don't have any idea about men's fashion, he should have known enough to keep his mouth shut in that context. One of the things I dislike the most in contestants on these types of shows is arrogance and an unwillingness to take advice from people who have more experience and who are there to help.
    Babbred likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    They are supposed to be, but I haven't been shopping lately so I don't know first hand.
    Well I dont have a Macy's, and H&M is okay, but not great. Oh well, its nice to dream. I wish I could design and sew like that
    -Andy Rooney-

I really liked the beachy long dress by Nikki Poulos at Macy's...I was able to find it easy online, by going to Macy's site, then clicked on the box for "get new looks here" on the Fashion Star add.

But I debated about buying it for too long and it sold out. It would have been perfect for my cruising addiction..LOL!

She does have a website, but her Maxi's are $175 there, so the Macy's dress was a pretty good deal at $89 in comparison.

In the future, if I see something I like, I won't hesitate to buy.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

+ Reply to Thread