+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Fashion Star (NBC)

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Re: Fashion Star (NBC)

Here we go with TEAMS this week...yuck. I actually thought all of the silhouettes had been seen before and I didn't find any of the designs fresh and new. I guess the buyers were just bulking up for the summer season and not considering "new" design this challenge.

Next week it is teams AGAIN! This time twosies. John still has four designers while Nicki and Jessica have two.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Both my daughter and I are liking this show better than Project Runway. IMO it's because they are selling to buyers who have to sell to real world people. It's fine to be creative and have fantastic designs but if you can't sell to buyers of stores you will never go very far. It's a lesson a lot of PR designers never seem to get, and the girl last night with the lunch bag waist shorts. (sorry I'm terrible with names, I used to love the banners at the top of the pages with names connected to the faces) She thought the buyers just didn't have enough vision when really it's that her looks would generally only fit someone as thin as she with no shape at all. Those shorts didn't even look good on the models which means they won't look good on anyone else. She never understood what they were trying to explain to her and blamed them for not understanding her. The problem IMO is she has vision but it's limited in scope and most people can't wear what she makes.

As I've heard Zac Posen say on PR it's where artistic and commerce meet. (not exact, something like that!) The point being that both of those elements must be present to be successful. That is precisely why I like this show -it is those two elements meeting and they are sinking or swimming on real life designs. Avante Garde has it's place but it then needs to be translated into something sellable.

I may have said it before but I also like the changes to this season where we've seen all the designs and at least partial discussions of them. I think it's because they were on a mentors team and those people showed altogether. It allowed for more time for seeing designs rather than too much talking since they're more lumped together.

I didn't love that they made them work as teams but on PR, here and on that fashion show Isaac Mizrahi had every big name designer I've ever heard talk about it says it's a team effort and you need to learn to get along as a team. I have a hard time buying into that philosophy since it seems the main name on the building would get final say-so, but I've heard several over the years mention it so there must be some truth to it. I thought at first the one girl that wasn't being very team-oriented wasn't acting right. After seeing the disasters her team-mates sent down the runway it's not surprising she didn't want to go along with their vision. Good choice since her design was bought and their's weren't. To be fair, after seeing her awful design last week it was more understandable they wouldn't trust her design aesthetic, but they were very dismissive of everything she was saying.
    Imperfect1 and Babbred like this.

I loved all the longer dresses, they had such a nice light flow to them
    Well done Joanna, I liked her jumpsuit - even if Prissy Priscilla was all upset.

Not keen on Hunters dress, but I am sure a younger person would like it
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Definitely thought Joanna's outfits should have gotten snapped up. They were the best of the night, IMO. And at first I sympathized with her and was glad she got revenge on Priscilla and Daniel. Upon reflection, though, I've kind of changed my mind. Yeah, they treated her like crud, but that was a two-way street. Joanna didn't even try to work with them. I can understand why P & D would have been upset when Joanna just waltzed out of the building without saying a single word to them. They were also right to be upset when Joanna completely ruined the cohesion of their show by radically changing her outfit. So yeah, Joanna can design, but I'm not sure I like her attitude.
    Moontat likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fan

I don't understan d why Prscilla's design that cute shorts and top set) was rejected. The Express buyer said that "It wouldn't look good on ALL their customers."
    Heck that describes most of the designs we see.

I don't get their reasoning and am beginning to suspect (as I did last season) that production wants certain people to succeed and certain other ones to leave. It seems they've had it in for Priscilla from the very begienning. Rejecting ehr designs but never giving her a good reason why other than that she wasn't "expanding her ideas enough" or something bogus like that.

BTW Priscilla wasn't even one of my faves. I just don't like how the show treated her.

Anyone have any ideas on that?

I think its because those shorts rode up in the crotch area. It wasn't attractive. The fit was awful.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    I don't understan d why Prscilla's design that cute shorts and top set) was rejected. The Express buyer said that "It wouldn't look good on ALL their customers."
    Heck that describes most of the designs we see.

I don't get their reasoning and am beginning to suspect (as I did last season) that production wants certain people to succeed and certain other ones to leave. It seems they've had it in for Priscilla from the very begienning. Rejecting ehr designs but never giving her a good reason why other than that she wasn't "expanding her ideas enough" or something bogus like that.

BTW Priscilla wasn't even one of my faves. I just don't like how the show treated her.

Anyone have any ideas on that?
    In addition to the awful fit mentioned by Java Jo, the waist was horrible. No one bigger than a size 2 would look good in them.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Another problem might be that she is going to do her thing regardless any advice she may receive. If you want to see to retail stores, you have to listen to what they want and compromise enough to supply it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I remember when this show started last season and it seemed really long and boring (was it 2 hours last season??). As it went on and the designers dwindled I decided it was getting better and grew to like it. I never remembered it was on, but it would just show up on my DVR and I'd watch it. This season I have liked it from the start. I'm not sure I love the team idea, but it's not as bad as Project Runway Teams. I like that we see all the designers as someone mentioned upthread because last season we only saw a few and only a few of the designs. I find myself looking forward to watching it this time around and I always remember it's on.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I like Fashion Star a lot too, in fact it's become one of my favorite shows! BUT last week when they focused on some of the designers bickering and bad-mouthing each other. I though OHHHH NOOOOO, shades of Project Runway. I sure hope they're NOT going to go in that direction, thinking the public needs fighting in order to have a popular show! I can appreciate wanting some 'drama' --- but there's plenty of drama built into the design process and the competition --- I'd rather see them focus on that, and not the designers' negativity and bad behavior.
    Florimel and Babbred like this.

+ Reply to Thread