+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Fashion Star (NBC)

FORT Fogey

re: Fashion Star (NBC)

The mentors are pushing them to design outside of their comfort zone. I don't know why they insist on this because it only produces less than desirable results. Many famous designers have a focused look and attract those who share that vision. You don't see Michael Kors, Channel or Ralph Lauren branching out into Vivian Westwood's territory!

Within their style I think it is entirely possible to sell to all three stores. All of them carry a range of designers who differ greatly.
    sunshine3331 and jucamer like this.

I don't mind out of comfort zone; however, I don't think that they should say force someone to use prints and colors when they love solid color blocking.

Example, I do like the fact they've pushed Orly from having constant 2-Fer designs and make a dress instead.

I don't like the fact that Ross was told to try silk instead of say a much more sturdy material. Silk is also so expensive, and had he received a sale, that buy wouldn't have made many dresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    The mentors are pushing them to design outside of their comfort zone. I don't know why they insist on this because it only produces less than desirable results. Many famous designers have a focused look and attract those who share that vision. You don't see Michael Kors, Channel or Ralph Lauren branching out into Vivian Westwood's territory!

Within their style I think it is entirely possible to sell to all three stores. All of them carry a range of designers who differ greatly.
    I agree Shoepie, but this is for TV, and they cant keep doing the same thing.
    Babbred likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I didn't really have a problem with this "out of your comfort zone" challenge. From what I saw (our cable kept going out all through this), it didn't seem like they were trying to encourage anyone to design in a completely different style. If the goal of the competition is to select a designer who can design for all 3 stores, it seems reasonable to ask a designer who's done mainly long dresses, to design a short dress; or ask a designer who designs casual wear to design something more formal.

I might have missed it, but did John actually say Ross had to use silk? I remember John telling him to design something soft rather than tailored. And then at the fabric store, Ross was adamant that he had the fabrics he wanted to use (John was encouraging him to check out fabrics at another store first before making a decision).

I love this show. I like the way it moves along . We get to see very little interaction between contestants and mentors, contestants and their sewers, and between contestants - but, for me, it's just the right amount. And I like the fact that the judges have to put their money (well, their companies' money) on the line.
    NFL1, jucamer, Babbred and 1 others like this.

Ross did not take the advice given to him by John. He thinks he knows best - that could come back to bite him in the @**
    -Andy Rooney-

I thought they filmed this on the East Coast, but it's actually here.
    When I was driving home from work the other day, I passed by the fabric store they'd shopped at and realized I'd been there, too.. Too bad I never ran into Jessica or the others.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

Again, the outfit I would have purchased didn't get a buy. I liked Orly's dress. I didn't think Ronnie's dress was all that special, the waist needed more tailoring. It would make most women look thick in the middle the way it was cut.

Quote Originally Posted by short_lived View Post
    Again, the outfit I would have purchased didn't get a buy. I liked Orly's dress. I didn't think Ronnie's dress was all that special, the waist needed more tailoring. It would make most women look thick in the middle the way it was cut.
    I didn't like very much tonight. I liked Orly's dress when it was worn as a vest. I didn't care for Kara's tuxedo shirt, I have seen that before .Not that good for me tonight. I cant stand Nicki, she goes from bad to worse.
    -Andy Rooney-

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

And Ross was Ross all the way to the door.
    jucamer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    And Ross was Ross all the way to the door.
    Yes he sure was AZ. He did the same thing last week, thought he knew it all.
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread