+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Monster Man (SyFy Wednesdays at 10 PM)

Monster Man (SyFy Wednesdays at 10 PM)

Monster Man | Syfy

The show premieres Wednesday, March 14, 2012, at 11 PM after the Finale for Face Off.

Monster Man goes behind the scenes of one of Hollywood's most respected monster prop building workshops. For more than thirty years, when studios want a bizarre creature or out-of-this world alien, they've turned to Cleve Hall and his very unique family business. Only the horrifying monsters they build match the craziness of this extremely talented family.

Monster Man follows Cleve Hall, his daughters Constance and Elora Hall, his ex-wife Sonja Maddox-Hall, best friends Roy Knyrim and Johnny Saiko, as well as office manager Cindy Miller, as they bring the movie world's most imaginative creatures to life.

Cleve Hall has been in the prop design game since he was a teenager. Monsters are his specialty, which fits the personality of a man who dresses in all black and drives a hearse. Hall has created masterpieces for countless big budget flicks for Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks, Warner Bros and Disney, including favorites How to Train Your Dragon, Syfy orinial movie Sharktopus, Ed Wood and Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Hall has also lent his talent to numerous television programs including Yo Gabba Gabba, for which he received an Emmy nomination. Additionally, he has worked with rock bands including KISS, creating Gene Simmons' Demon Armor, as well as Insane Clown Posse, Alice Cooper, Tenacious D and DEVO.

Monster Man debuts on Wednesday, March 14 at 11/10c, and airs thereafter Wednesdays at 10/9c, only on Syfy.

****************************** ****************************** ****************************** ***

Cleve and daughter, Constance, made a work room walk through during the dino-hybrid designs on Face Off and offered some good suggestions. I'm looking forward to this show, even though I've said I'm not a monster person, but this looks interesting.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: Monster Man (SyFy Wednesdays at 10 PM)

I'm not much into monsters, either, but I'm really looking forward to this show. Now I just have to remember to set the DVR for next week while I'm away ;-)

The show description is a little bit ingenuous as Cleve doesn't own his own FX shop, but works for his friend who owns Soto FX. He is the head design honcho and his family is part of the business.

The first show was twinsies. First up conjoined twins (grown up) who must tear apart at the waist and second a two headed shark who chomps on bathing beauties. Both of these are for low budget horror films and we get to see the props put into action as the scenes are being shot. That part was cool. Both scenes require a lot of blood and we learn that now they use fire extinguishers to pump it rather than spray bottles. Both projects needed to be completed almost at the same time on a constrained time frame for impatient clients. They did get done and the effects were just what the clients ordered.

In the shop we meet the skilled technicians who specialize in the different techniques such as molding and patterning along with Cleve's family members (two daughters and an ex-wife) who butt heads with Cleve. That part of the show is like any reality show that follows a family around. All in all, it is not a competition show, but a peek into the real world of building FX props and human appliances for actual movies.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I was looking forward to this show but wasn't too enthused about the first episode. All that work, drama and a strict timeline to create movie monsters that were only filmed for a few minutes?? I think it must have cost a fortune for those things. Wouldn't the movie-makers want to use those expensive props for a lengthier film? And what exactly were they filming anyway? It was obviously much too short to be a movie. It seemed like a total waste of time and budget to me.

Were they just filming pilots to pitch to movie or tv studios in hopes that one of them would like the concept enough to make a full movie of it? If that's the case, why have the movie monster made? They could use a cheap fascimile or sketches and wait until the idea got picked up, then have the studio pay the price for the prototype. I guess I just don't know enough about the movie business and how all that works.

I'd like to see less family conflict and more about the problems they face in their work and the solutions they come up with. That's the part I'm really interested in.

I'd also like to see what they can do with a reasonable amount of time to do it in ... 2 days when they thought they had 2 weeks?
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

That werewolf was truly scary and on film would set the theater in scream mode. While I like to see the process, I'm not thrilled with the personal dynamics...but then it is a reality show, not a contest show.

+ Reply to Thread