+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Worst Cooks in America

FORT Fogey

Worst Cooks in America

I like that Bobby Flay is paired with Ann this season. I am not a fan, but his celebrity brings this show up a notch.

I wonder just how many are really as bad and they seem at the start. As with any reality show there are those who want exposure and I have Tiffany pegged. She is on Flay's team and won tonight. She is very pretty and that sent up a red flag for me. Is she looking to shine, get a gig as a side kick on a cooking show or a hosting job of any kind? hmmmmmmmmmmm I would not rule that out.

I actually think there may be others who know more than they let on. We will see who progresses rapidly.

I liked Flay dismissing the HSN host. She was definately there for recognition. No doublt about that.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 02-13-2012 at 05:09 AM.

Re: Worst Cooks in America

Ann's dismissal was correct....Richard (I think) He was not serious about this and had a horrid attitude..sounded very condescending. The one of Bobby's team that will drive me nuts is Serina, the squeaky voice.
    cubsfan55 likes this.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Ann's dismissal was correct....Richard (I think) He was not serious about this and had a horrid attitude..sounded very condescending. The one of Bobby's team that will drive me nuts is Serina, the squeaky voice.
    Yes, I liked her dismissal. That showed no one was keeping someone for drama because he would have been an irritant. They are taking this seriously. And ooooooooh yes to that squeaky voice.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Thanks for starting the thread Shoepie.

I agree with Ann's decision, but if I were Bobby, the squeaky-voiced Asian girl would have gone. Think she's gonna turn out to be a real whiner.

Two early favorites - both on Ann's team - Bob (the long-haired sad faced guy) and Anthony (who I expect to utter "bada boom bada bing" any moment now)
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I like Bob, I just think he would be a hoot to be around.

We watched it tonight. Wow...people really are that bad? My 14yo son realized that he's a much better cook that he thought ;-) (He's actually been making regular pancakes since he was 4, and he mastered omelets recently. We have fun making breakfast on the weekend...we made lemon ricotta pancakes on Saturday.)

Anyway, it will be interesting to see who manages to keep up. I wonder if Bobby realized just how bad "worst cooks" are?

Some people (including me) did not cook growing up. My older sisters and mother did all the cooking. When I left home I had to learn. I have used many cookbooks overs the years and am a self taught (not too bad) cook, I do get compliments. That is what I never understood about these contestants, can they not read and follow a recipe?

FORT Fogey

Some people (including me) did not cook growing up. My older sisters and mother did all the cooking. When I left home I had to learn. I have used many cookbooks overs the years and am a self taught (not too bad) cook, I do get compliments. That is what I never understood about these contestants, can they not read and follow a recipe?
    It may be an act for some. How fast they improve will tell who is holding back. Tiffany is one who I suspect.

FORT Fogey

Exactly. My mother was an excellent cook, but she had a very tiny kitchen. Even if you got into it before she did, she'd come in and "help" you until she was basically doing everything. I learned to bake a little growing up, but I didn't do much cooking. So, I had a great example to watch, but I didn't really cook until I was on my own with my own kitchen, and I, too, have gotten compliments. Really, if you can read, you ought to be able to follow a basic recipe. What they do on the show may not be the most basic cooking (I've never done pancakes, flavored butter, flavored syrup, a breakfast meat, and four kinds of eggs in an hour, because how often would a home cook need to do that?), but when the contestants come in with their initial "you on a plate" recipes and they seem utterly befuddled even by very basic things.....well, that, in turn, befuddles me. Get a good basic cookbook, don't go for anything with too many steps until you've gotten a little experience under your belt, and you're on your way. And for heaven's sake, if you're a complete beginner, wait a while to get experimental with a recipe.

Oh, yeah, and if something doesn't turn out well, don't fall apart. It's not like you can't try again with that or something else. Some of these people get so flustered so fast, you'd think they were afraid that if they can't get a recipe right, the kitchen is going to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Oh, yeah, and if something doesn't turn out well, don't fall apart. It's not like you can't try again with that or something else. Some of these people get so flustered so fast, you'd think they were afraid that if they can't get a recipe right, the kitchen is going to explode.
    J decided that he was going to make himself an omelet one morning before I came downstairs (his father had already left the house). By the time I came down, he'd gone through six eggs...two at a time. (After the third one didn't work, he went with scrambled eggs.) He would goof up, throw the eggs down the disposal, clean the pan, and start over.

Yes, it took him three tries to realize that he could just go with scrambled ;-) But he didn't get flustered, he didn't panic...he just kept going.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast