+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Worst Cooks in America

Re: Worst Cooks in America

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    When Bobby was teaching Vinnie how to make the creme brulee', I was yelling at the TV...I was taught to put the water into the bigger pan *after* the pan was already in the oven. And to only bring the water up 2/3 of the way to the top, not almost all the way.
    I kept saying the same thing!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    [snipped]... Plus, I remember a chef on tv making cheesecake and instead of putting the pan in a water bath, he put a second pan filled with water on a rack under the cheesecake. He said that you only need the water in the oven to create steam. The water doesn't have to be actually touching the pan the cheesecake is in....
    I've seen that done and that explanation too - a bowl of water underneath for steam. I was taught that the water around the ramekins or cake pan was to slow the cooking along the edges so it doesn't brown, and also that it evens out "hot spots" in your oven. For example, the back left side of my oven is hotter than other places, so when I bake, I turn whatever I'm cooking around periodically. When a pan is in a water bath, the heat is distributed more evenly through the water.

Anybody see the premiere? I was bummed at Diana's elimination, I felt she deserved to stay over that doctor guy who admits he's content in letting his wife do stuff for him. She looked like she wanted it more. Over on Bobby's team, I feel the right person got sent home. Not much impression yet from the cast, but Carla in Bobby's team is hilarious.

We watched it. What a bunch of goofs :-) And they never did find Carla's nail, at least not that we saw.

I was OK with the eliminations.

FORT Fogey

Alex, the over the top obnoxious guy, from Glass House is on Bobby's team. It is nuts the way they keep casting retreads. Clearly they choose for drama. It is disappointing.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

It's hard to believe anyone could really be that bad of cooks. Makes me wonder if they're playing it up for the cameras.

Who puts celery in omelettes?????? Just plain weird!

One thing I don't like about this show is they really don't help the truly worst cooks on the show, since they get elimninated early. They ought to do a reverse elimination. Eliminate the people who are doing best and have the worst of the worst remain to the end to see if they can become decent cooks.

FORT Fogey

This show is hopelessly manipulated.
    Florimel likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I fell asleep before the elimination.

I wonder how they cast this show. I mean, I'm a good cook, but I could show up at the audition with an awful dish. I would hope they'd vet final contestants by checking with lots of friends and family members. I, too, wish they wouldn't recycle contestants from other reality shows.

Loved it when the woman (Carla?) didn't know what a quarter cup was.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Alex, the over the top obnoxious guy, from Glass House is on Bobby's team. It is nuts the way they keep casting retreads. Clearly they choose for drama. It is disappointing.
    So that's where I've seen him. I kept wracking my brain because he looked so familiar. Yuck, he is such a blowhard.

These cooks are truly bad, almost down to my level of bad. I will love watching them learn, step by dreadful step.

That said, I agree that they should eliminate in reverse order and see if the truly bad can be taught the basics; but they need to put on a cooking show when all is said and done, so the best of the worst will prevail.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Kip

The problem with getting rid of the best is that contestants would purposefully try not to do well so they wouldn't be eliminatied.

Are contestants given any other instruction other than what they get from Bobby and Anne during the challenges? If not, it's amazing to me that they learn much of anything.

+ Reply to Thread