Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Worst Cooks in America

Re: Worst Cooks in America

I was disappointed
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I only kind of like this show. I FFed to the end to see the judging. I hope Fashion Star begins a new trend in faster paced reality tv.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    LOL not really. I called BS with the teams being called Team X and Team Y. Sheesh, I wonder which team belongs to which chef? I didn't mind Kelly but I really wanted to see Ann knocked off her high horse. Now she will be even more insufferable. But she is no Iron Chef (lol).

Anyways, I thought they both did a good job and held their own. They should both be proud.
    I don't get it - was there a clue in Team X and Team Y? If anything, I thought the fix was going to be in for giving the win to Bobby to keep the show more interesting.

If I only knew the main courses were steak and squab, I would have thought Bobby's team had done the steak. On the appetizers, I probably would have guessed that Ann's team did the sweet potato crab canelloni because, if I'm remember right, Ann did something like that on the Next Iron Chef (but using eggplant). Marcus might have remembered Ann's dish from the NIC, but even if he guessed that was Ann's dish, I don't know whether that would help or hurt Ann. The desserts would have been a toss up.

Edited to add: I love it when the contestants get along and support each other. I much prefer seeing that to drama caused by idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Edited to add: I love it when the contestants get along and support each other. I much prefer seeing that to drama caused by idiots.

I do as well.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I think the judging was clean and above board. There really isn't much at stake to try and swing it one way or the other. Just another venue for chefs to keep their name in the media. Flays mistake was choosing Vinnie over the woman. Vinnies time management did him in with the risotto and brule. Flay knew this to be his big problem. Bad call, nothing more.

Really all the contestants did was make a meal chosen by the chefs AND did a dry run. It was not creative on their part. Just another fluffy reality offering.

And I will add that it is impossible to make a porterhouse steak consistantly medium rare because of the difference in thickness and proximity to the bone. Yes her steak was too done but the comment that it was not consistant was just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I don't get it - was there a clue in Team X and Team Y? If anything, I thought the fix was going to be in for giving the win to Bobby to keep the show more interesting.
    Wasn't team X Anne's? Chromosomes, X is for females. Reading your comment, I now wonder if that wasn't done intentionally to help Bobby win. Since I have read no comments about this, lol, I think this went over everybody's heads.

I didn't think the judging was right given what we were shown. Kelly's dishes got more hits, Vinny's got more praises. However, we all know how editing goes so I wish they would have shown us what the judges really said about the dishes to make them choose Kelly. I suspect if we were shown it all, then it would be pretty obvious who won and why.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

When Bobby was teaching Vinnie how to make the creme brulee', I was yelling at the TV...I was taught to put the water into the bigger pan *after* the pan was already in the oven. And to only bring the water up 2/3 of the way to the top, not almost all the way.

I wasn't rooting specifically for either one, so I'm OK with the outcome. (Although I would have liked Bobby to win, but I just wasn't that vested in the whole thing.) The meals looked great, though.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    Wasn't team X Anne's? Chromosomes, X is for females. Reading your comment, I now wonder if that wasn't done intentionally to help Bobby win. Since I have read no comments about this, lol, I think this went over everybody's heads.

I didn't think the judging was right given what we were shown. Kelly's dishes got more hits, Vinny's got more praises. However, we all know how editing goes so I wish they would have shown us what the judges really said about the dishes to make them choose Kelly. I suspect if we were shown it all, then it would be pretty obvious who won and why.
    Ahh...where's a palm slap to forehead emoticon when you need one? It's obvious now that you've said it, but it passed me right by. Plus, I didn't remember who was Team X and who was Team Y. Maybe next year they'll go with Team XX and Team XY!

With the editing showing more hits on Kelly's dishes, I told my husband she was the winner. I agree with you - I wish we could see a true representation of the judge's comments. I think watching some of the actual deliberation would be fascinating. With all of this stupid fake-out editing, we're left not really knowing what gave Kelly the edge over Vinnie.

Kip

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    When Bobby was teaching Vinnie how to make the creme brulee', I was yelling at the TV...I was taught to put the water into the bigger pan *after* the pan was already in the oven. And to only bring the water up 2/3 of the way to the top, not almost all the way.

I wasn't rooting specifically for either one, so I'm OK with the outcome. (Although I would have liked Bobby to win, but I just wasn't that vested in the whole thing.) The meals looked great, though.
    LOL - I thought the same thing about the water around the ramekins - I couldn't believe he was having Vinnie walk to the oven with the water in the pan - I always pour hot water from a kettle into the pan when it's in the over.

I was rooting a bit more for Vinnie, but I liked both Vinnie and Kelly, so I was happy with the outcome as well.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I thought that was dumb, too, having the pan so far away from the oven. Couldn't you put water in the pan first, while it's on the oven rack, and then add the ramekins?? Plus, I remember a chef on tv making cheesecake and instead of putting the pan in a water bath, he put a second pan filled with water on a rack under the cheesecake. He said that you only need the water in the oven to create steam. The water doesn't have to be actually touching the pan the cheesecake is in.

I wonder if Bobby has ever made that recipe himself. I have a hard time believing water got in the second time. It looked to me like the ramekins had foil over them and it was probably condensation from it that made the dessert too runny.

+ Reply to Thread