+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Worst Cooks in America

Re: Worst Cooks in America

Both eliminations were absolutely deserved last night. That said, I cannot stand to listen to Carla's shrieks about her adoration for Bobby Flay. She's a grown woman acting as if she's 12. Her malapropisms are really funny, however.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I agree. I loved the gelato demonstration. If I had an ice cream maker, I would follow that recipe and try not to scramble the eggs.

Carla is hysterical at times. She had Bobby wanting to flee, though.

I would never make this, but if I was in that kitchen and on the blue team who could make real burgers, I would cut the fat off of hickory smoked bacon, chop it fine and stuff it in the burger. I don't know what I would use for a dry rub, though, or a dressing with all that hickory flavor; but that sounds like a fun way to try to make a burger.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Carla is our favorite because she genuinely seems to be enjoying herself. Do I question her taste in men . . . . . absolutely!

I agree that both guys sent home last night were the right choices. The Texas guy was kinda cute, but he's got a long way to go in the personality department. Pitied the poor guy who is lactose intolerant, but he really shot himself in the foot by not taking tiny little samples.

They cheftestants were "challenged" to also make a side dish . . . . but hardly anything was recognized/talked about. Why make them add something extra if it doesn't really matter?
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

It's starting to look like Bobby might actually beat Anne this time. Her team is weak and doesn't appear to be improving that much. Lactose guy was the best of the worst. Damning with faint praise!

On Bobby's team - the dude who made the muffaletta burger is getting the hang of things. Carla is funny in small doses but a little goes a long way. The blonde who did the cinnamon also has some potential.

Adeep(?) and Alex were definitely the right ones to go home. One couldn't cook his way out of a paper bag (grilling cheese???!) and the other was a loudmouth who quite honestly was there to be seen. He could've cared less about learning anything about cooking.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I would never make this, but if I was in that kitchen and on the blue team who could make real burgers, I would cut the fat off of hickory smoked bacon, chop it fine and stuff it in the burger. I don't know what I would use for a dry rub, though, or a dressing with all that hickory flavor; but that sounds like a fun way to try to make a burger.
    If you're going to stuff it in the burger, you need to cook it first...otherwise, it would be raw. But now I want to try chopping the bacon and adding it to the burger and then cooking it...that might work. (I'd test with a small patty first.) I love bacon :-)

One of the things we like to do is stuff our burgers. We've made all sorts of combos...caramelized onions or various cheeses (blue, brie, American, cheddar, mozzarella) or even combos...whatever we think sounds good :-)

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

For the bacon burger lovers . . . .

I remember seeing a food network/cooking channel show that featured a "Fifty Fifty Burger". It was 50 percent ground beef and 50 percent ground bacon. Coudn't remember the name, so I googled it. Apparently, it's called Slaters and they have several locations in California.

I would have to say that I agreed with Carla about using the grinder to make the meat for the burger. I cook . . . a lot. I enjoy cooking. I have been cooking for my family for over 25 years. I do NOT own a meat grinder and probably never will. I doubt that the majority of home cooks own one or use one. These people should be trying to learn the BASICS so they don't give loved ones food poisoning or burn down the house. As much as I enjoy this show, there's just way too much FLUFF and not enough SUBSTANCE.
    Kip, Shoepie, TripleGemini and 1 others like this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I actually have a grinder, it came with my Kitchen Aid mixer but have never used it.
    There's no place like home!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62 View Post
    It's starting to look like Bobby might actually beat Anne this time. Her team is weak and doesn't appear to be improving that much. Lactose guy was the best of the worst. Damning with faint praise!....
    True...except in previous seasons, some of the team members have been swapped. It was something like after a competition judged by an outsider, the chef of the winning team got to steal a person from the losing team and give the other team one of theirs. If they do that again, I hope Bobby's team wins it for him.

FORT Fanatic

My only problem with this show is that these are people who can't cook, yet they're worried about teaching them how to make their own ice cream. How about teaching them how to make lagasna, or an omelet, or something they can feed to their family?

FORT Fogey

I wish they would have stressed never pressing a burger with a spatula more! I am stunned how many restaurants do this. I always ask if they press the burger and if the answer is yes I ask them not to do it to mine. Home cooks do this too, all the time! I cringe when I see the host of a barbeque get together do this. I go for the hot dog and keep my mouth shut!

I agree that grinding your own meat and making ice cream seemed so silly given their skill level. I think it is to keep viewers interested. I have a hunch when they do the final meal, ice cream is an easy dessert to serve. Bobby and Ann are not into desserts enough to teach them something that takes more effort.

+ Reply to Thread