+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Big Waste (Food Network)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

The Big Waste (Food Network)

I wasn't sure where to post this so if a mod needs to move this to another section, that's fine.

In this show, four Food Network personalities team up (Bobby Flay and Michael Symon on one team, Anne Burrell and Alex Guarnaschelli) to tour places where food is going to waste and use some of that food to prepare a gourmet meal for 100 people.

I watched it last night and was very offended by the show. They would say things like "this tomato would not go to the stores because the water in it has made it split and consumers won't buy it". They mentioned how much food at the grocery store goes to waste but I can't remember the exact number.

Anyway, what made me mad was implying that it was somehow my fault that this food is not eaten. Surely the grocery store is not the only place produce is used! If a tomato is too blemished to be sold at the store, how about selling it wholesale to companies that make ketchup, spaghetti sauce, salsa, etc.? I don't think food has to be thrown out just because it's not picture perfect.

It seems to me that we're producing more food than can be used at the supermarket. If someone took that blemished tomato over an unblemished tomato, then the unblemished tomato would go to waste.

Why not use extra produce in canned, frozen or dry goods to extend their shelf life? How about donating or selling excessing produce at a greatly reduced price to food banks, homeless shelters, school lunch programs, etc?

I understand that it's terrible to waste food when people around the world are going hungry but I don't see how choosing less than perfect produce at the grocery store is going to change that. We, the consumer, don't even get to choose what produce makes it onto the shelves at our stores so how is it our fault if blemished produce is not included? I think the show is off the mark about the cause of the problem and the solution to it.

Re: The Big Waste (Food Network)

My son is a produce manager at a grocery store. His store drastically reduces blemished produce. The stuff they put in the reduced cart goes really fast. Yesterday I bought a 5 pound bag of fingerling potatoes for 50 cents. They have another cart that has markdowns on dented cans, cereal & granola bars that are close to expiration. I can get name brand granola bars for $1. They do the same thing to some dairy like yougurt that is a day or 2 from expiration. Manufacturers will not allow them to reduce frozen foods. They had to throw away cases for name brand frozen pizza which is insane.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Re: The Big Waste (Food Network)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    My son is a produce manager at a grocery store. His store drastically reduces blemished produce. The stuff they put in the reduced cart goes really fast. Yesterday I bought a 5 pound bag of fingerling potatoes for 50 cents. They have another cart that has markdowns on dented cans, cereal & granola bars that are close to expiration. I can get name brand granola bars for $1. They do the same thing to some dairy like yougurt that is a day or 2 from expiration. Manufacturers will not allow them to reduce frozen foods. They had to throw away cases for name brand frozen pizza which is insane.
    I always check the clearance. Meat that expires the next day can be frozen, expires that day... I won't take a chance. If the diary is something I can eat before the expiration date I'll get it. Granola bars, cookies and the like I will buy and try to eat within a reasonable time after "best used by". I have cocoa pebbles bars in my pantry that expire today. I will eat them until they taste stale. We get marked down frozen items all the time. I've gotten organic meals for $1, down from nearly $5.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread