+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Celebrity Wife Swap

FORT Regular

Re: Celebrity Wife Swap

This was one of my least favorite episodes because there was no change in the end (except the blender, but I'm not counting that). These families (well the whole unstructured family, and the strict mom) seemed so closed minded and unwilling to try anything new. Makes me wonder why they even went on this show except to make get their 15 mins of fame.
    I can't understand how their unschooling method is even legal. They claim it is, but that makes me think very lowly of the the standards New Hampshire has for education if that is the case. The girl was actually 11! and couldn't read words like "only."
    I tend to agree more with the strict family, but this mom has taken it waaaay to far! I felt so badly for her children. They seem like really good kids and should be trusted to hang out with their friends outside of school. And my heart absolutely sank when the mother told her daughter the artwork would be taken down. Childrens passions and talents should be celebrated in a home, not hidden. Why even have children if you aren't going to love them to the fullest, support their talents, and show off and be proud of what they have accomplished.
    spockwhat and Eastcoastmom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by alex2155 View Post
    I can't understand how their unschooling method is even legal. They claim it is, but that makes me think very lowly of the the standards New Hampshire has for education if that is the case. The girl was actually 11! and couldn't read words like "only."
    I was wondering the same thing. It seemed like the parents just had to just register as home schooling and then there was no follow up or standards.
    It bothered me that the unschooling family had the attitude that they were so open minded & progressive, but in reality they were just lazy parents. I don't think they want to bother giving any time to their children or their future needs, so they just let them run wild & stick a bunch of electronic toys in front of them to occupy them, telling themselves these are "educational". Then put on airs that they are somehow more modern & "with it" than other families to cover up the fact that they just don't care. Lazy parenting is all it is. If it's not illegal, it should be.

The overly structured family needs to lighten up, but other than that they seemed to be doing a much better job. Their children are well mannered, intellegent, nice, neat, & will probably do well in life. Their home is lovely.
    The problem is that the whole family element is just so cold & impersonal. No one seems to know anything about the other, or bother to find out. Very cold.

I've notice that TPTB of this show have a major dislike of homeshooling. They are always presented as lazy, sloppy, undiciplined, & poorly, if at all, educated.

I know a family who've homeschooled all of their children. They are just the opposite of this. The parents are well educated & keep up with the latest in educational requirements. They have a curriculum, school hours, individual work projects, etc. They take regular achievement test . They belong to a homeschooling association & share ideas, materials & go on field trips together.
    Their children are personable, polite, well educated, well groomed, & fun. They are all ahead of what their grade levels would be in public schools. The grown ones are accomplished & great adults.

The Wife Swap people just don't seem to realize that there are homeschool families like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

But these children were not home schooled, they were unschooled.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post

The Wife Swap people just don't seem to realize that there are homeschool families like this.
    Here in So Cal, I can always tell which kids are home-schooled. Like you said, they are very different from public school kids.
    What does this say about the US education system?

I taped this week's episode & watched it today.
    I thought both families were OK & "normal" this time, only completely different. I also liked the fact that even with the differences, & the fact that neither were going to go over to the others' ways, they were open enough to learning a few things about themselves & bettering their families. They all played by the rules & tried something new & different & benefitted from it.

The Italian mom/family were nice people with polite children who are trying to provide a good life for themselves through their restaurant business. I think because of the hurricane closing the business they don't know what to do with themselves, so they're basically doing nothing, except waiting. I was surprised that none of them realized that they were extremely overweight, even morbidly obese, & thought they were normal sized & just fine. That weigh-in & weight chart was a huge eye opener to them & they seemed to realize the enormity of the situation. I liked that they were very open to learning healthier cooking & menu items for the restaurant. Also that they all get up & walk together first thing in the morning now. They stayed who they are, only better.

The health conscious/super organized mom/family were pretty nice too, although she's a bit abrasive. Although eating healthy & staying active are great & important, she goes overboard. I hope she watched this & realized that constantly referring to the younger daughter as having a weight problem (she absolutely didn't!) just because she wasn't stick thin like the older daughter, will do a lot of damage to the girl's self esteem & the way she looks at herself. Dad did the same thing, constantly. I liked that they learned to close the office at 7:00 to be there for the family, & eat together as a family, sitting down.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I disliked the "healthy' mom. I was surprised though that she went along with their ways the first week. I didn't mind that she showed the family that are healthier ways to live and they were extremely nice and interested in learning those ways.
    But what she's doing to her youngest daughter is not good.
    I know because my mother always referred to me as being over-weight and had a "tendency to be overweight" because I took after my father........who was never fat.

To this day, I think I'm much fatter than I am. I weigh 116 lbs. I can't find that fat girl that she referred to in any of my old photos from babyhood onward.
    I still take clothes that are way too big for me into a dressing room because it was driven into my head that I'm fat.
    What you are told as a child gets into your brain and can last a long time.
    Realistically, I KNOW I'm not fat and have never been but it still lingers in my head....maybe a little of body dysmorphia.
    I doubt the mother will change though.

I liked both families and both moms .I take to heart they do edit this show like crazy. The Italian family were too big, I was scared for the dad, his face went so white when he got his real weight.They just need to walk every day and eat a little less or eat some of the good stuff, her sons were pretty lazy but heck she enjoyed giving them the love

The other mum - I think she spent time with her children, but if dad isn't working, they need some money from somewhere. Good one, both of them learned something
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Joan Rivers swapping with Sarah Palin. I've seen previews, but haven't caught the airdate. Trainwreck-genre fun...
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Joan Rivers swapping with Sarah Palin. I've seen previews, but haven't caught the airdate. Trainwreck-genre fun...
    Ellen, SUNDAY night 6/23.

Well, this will be interesting! Bristol Palin and sister Willow will trade lives with Joan Rivers and her daughter, Melissa, for an upcoming Celebrity Wife Swap episode.

The legendary comedienne, 79, and her 45-year-old daughter arrive at Bristol's Wasilla, Alaska home that she shares with her 19-year-old sister and her son, 4-year-old Tripp. According to a press release, Melissa, mom to son, Cooper, 12, immediately "finds it a challenge to deal with Tripp's boyish exuberance."

Meanwhile, at the Rivers' household in Los Angeles, the Dancing with the Stars alum, 22, is apparently surprised to find that the home doubles as a set for three reality TV shows and vows to "lighten things up" while she watches Cooper.

The Celebrity Wife Swap episode premieres on June 23 on ABC, 8 p.m. ET.

Other episodes this season will feature the girlfriend and wife of former WWE wrestlers "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair and "Rowdy" Roddy Piper on Sunday, June 30, and actress Nia Peeples trading lives with '80s singer Tiffany on July 7.
    KAREN

That's right Bristol and Willow, not Sarah.
    Thank you for the info; I have it programmed in. I'll need the laughs this week!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread