+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Celebrity Wife Swap

FORT Fan

Re: Celebrity Wife Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Orion, I started watching the last episode but haven't finished it yet. It looks promising as to lots of drama.
    Some of these people are just crazy-making. The Beauty Queen wife is something else! I really hate it when parents schedule their children's' life so much that they never have a free moment to be just a kid.
    Dragonlady: thanks for the info. I'm sure it will be repeated so that I will get to see it.

And yes I hate that "style" of parenting too.
    IMO it is a very misguided attempt to "give their children everything."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Watched "regular people" Wife Swap tonight. Interesting. A woman who believed in strong structure and discipline traded places with a woman who didn't believe in any rules or schooling, at all. Structure mom wouldn't even stay in the unstructured mom's home, choosing to stay in a hotel instead, due to the lack of cleanliness. It was rather gross. Unstructured mom and dad don't home school; they unschool their children, but they do believe in electronics and letting them "learn" from the internet. One of their children, I'm guessing about 9, cannot read the simplest of words. The 12 year old boy was allowed to get a septal piercing just because he wanted one, after all, it's HIS body, not his dad's. These kids have never been to school one day in their lives; they just learn from "living life". Stay up all night; sleep all day. This is OK in New Hampshire, per dad. Misfits? I guess only time will tell, but I've got my guesses. This was a "friends as parents" situation. Sad and unfair.

Structured mom's kids are kind of sad, too. They go to school and come home, and that's about it. Oh, and they clean a lot. Dad doesn't have much of a spine and doesn't seem to want to buck up against mom. Unstructured mom threw a pizza party for the kids' friends, and a great time was had by all; dad was staying in another room from the party until unstructured mom got him to come in and join in the crowd. He asked the kids to tell him some things about his son (about 16) because all he saw was his son's robotic side....small wonder. Structured mom was not happy to hear that the kids' friends had been invited over and that they had talked about HER. They all knew that she was very strict and they laughed about it....not in a malicious way. None of them had ever been into that house at all. I sure hope those kids get out of that house and go away to college. Baby daughter (about 9) is an artist and has won awards for her art, but she has to keep her art work and awards in a box under her bed, out of sight. Unstructured mom had some of her art framed and let Baby Girl hang some of it around the house; it was pretty cool, actually. When structured mom got home, the first piece she saw on the wall (actually, in a very good place) she said, "That's coming down!" That was sad. Dad stood around and didn't say anything, but he looked like he wanted to.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Haven't watched this yet but will. TPTB certainly are good at picking exact opposites of moms. It actually is a very sad representation of families and I wonder why I watch. I guess because I'm always hoping that by doing this exchange they may come to realize that their way isn't the best and learn to compromise.
    Sometimes it happens, but sadly, not always.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Nobody's mind seemed to be changed with this exchange, although structured mom did buy a blender so that she could make vegan smoothies. Unstructured mom is doing nothing different.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Goodness , what a strange one. I think both familes are fruit loops
    Unschooling
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I didn't catch the whole episode - just the last 10 minutes. Ordinarily, I would be totally siding with structured mom (I missed the part where they talked about "unschooling-what the heck?) but the structured mom came off as very unlikeable to me. I understand for the sake of drama, the need to have extreme opposites, but holy cow!

I agree that the most gut wrenching thing for me was at the last, when structured mom said her daughter's art was coming down. I think both sets of parents border on child abuse. But at least the crazy, lazy parents seemed to give their kids affection. (Hopefully the state will see this and step in to make sure they're also given an education.)

This brings to my mind the question, which family's children were actually better off?

I watched and really have no clue why I watched it all BECAUSE both Mom's were IDIOTS!

UNschooling........whattttttt! THAT is absolutely abusive. To have children and not educate them......are.you.kidding.me. SAD very sad. These children do not know how to READ. AWFUL.

And the other Mom was soooooo over the top STRICT I hated her. The father was no PRIZE either. He was just as "cold" as the Mom. GAWD. They (to me) were abusive as well. All those chores, no friends over, getting them up by a SMOKE DETECTOR???????????? Come on, awful awful awful.

I did think the NH home was a MESS. Ugh. BUT the San Diego house was TOO CLEAN.
    KAREN

I noticed that there were NO pictures hanging on the walls of Structured Mom's house......probably dust-catchers.
    I didn't think Structured Dad was "cold"...but spineless and ineffective.
    Both sets of kids are to be pitied, thanks to their parents.

I didnt like the eldest boy from the unstructured lot.. I think he may grow into a bully.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I noticed that there were NO pictures hanging on the walls of Structured Mom's house......probably dust-catchers.
    I didn't think Structured Dad was "cold"...but spineless and ineffective.
    Both sets of kids are to be pitied, thanks to their parents.
    That father never hugged his kids. He even stated that and so did his son. Whattttt no hugging or showing of affection. Gawd.

To ME that is sooooo cold.

At the end of the episode he did finally hug his daughter over her art work.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread