+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Fear Factor

Fear Factor

The show has already premiered, but here is a thread for those who wish to post about the shows.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: Fear Factor

I enjoyed this show when it was on before, but it definitely did get stale. I watched the two episodes Monday and decided that they spent the last few years trying to figure out new ridiculous stuff for people to do. I guess what's old is new again (at least for a little while). I'm actually glad Joe Rogan is back as the host. IMO, he has the right amount of ridiculousness for the job.

The one thing that threw me a bit was in the second show when the first stunt was in the water and one of the people on the team couldn't swim. That seems like a fundamental thing that they should "check off" their list when deciding which stunts/people to match up. Couldn't it be a liability to the show putting a person who cannot swim into a situation where swimming is required? Her partner clearly thought in the beginning that he was going to be able to help her, but he did not realize how difficult it is to swim while trying to help another person to safety.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I hadn't realized how much I missed Fear Factor until it came back. I thoroughly enjoyed the two episodes! It's great to see a reality show where contestants have to use their own skill and daring to win. They can't get by riding another team's coattails or staying under the radar. I enjoy the trash talk, too.

I prefer the stunts to the gross-out stuff but I don't mind the mix. Sometimes people who are strong at physical challenges balk at heights or water challenges or eating challenges so it's good to challenge people on many levels.

I always liked the host, Joe Rogan. He really keeps the energy up, yelling at contestants to pick up the pace and instigating a lot of the smack-talk if the contestants aren't doing it. He's the perfect host for that type of show.

Go, Fear Factor!!
    Fanny Mare likes this.

FORT Fogey

The one thing that threw me a bit was in the second show when the first stunt was in the water and one of the people on the team couldn't swim. That seems like a fundamental thing that they should "check off" their list when deciding which stunts/people to match up. Couldn't it be a liability to the show putting a person who cannot swim into a situation where swimming is required?
    How foolish of the woman who could not swim to appy to be on this show. It is not Fear Factors job to design challenges around the limitations of a contestant. They had lifegards in the water waiting to help her. They knew and were ready. I am sure they sign a contract that prevents them from holding the show responsible for any injury or death.

The gross things challenge is creepy but fascinating. I am an adventurous eater and love all food but I could not do this.

FORT Fogey

I am loving seeing this show again. My one problem with it is that the contestants get to watch and see the times and numbers they have to beat. When the father and son were eating the scorpions first they had nothing but get it done in mind, but the other two teams knew exactly how fast they needed to go to get it done. Also, when capturing the flags the siblings knew they had to beat 22. I know there was not a lot of room to be counting, but still they knew what to do. I wish they would have the people do the stunts without the others watching.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I did think it was weird for the girl to go on the show, not knowing how to swim. Why didn't she say something before the stunt?? She needlessly endangered herself and could have hurt one of the rescue crews or her partner if she panicked.

It doesn't bother me that other teams get to know the time to beat after the first team. It's up to the first team to set the bar high so that everyone after them has to do at least as well as they did, if not better. Dad and Jr set the bar very low munching the scorpions so it's their own fault they lost. Joe kept telling them to pick up the pace but they didn't listen.

I think if the mom with her son hadn't wasted so much time making noises and crazy faces during the scorpion challenge, her team could have finished even faster than they did. The girl on the winning team didn't go for all those theatrics, she just got down to it and her team beat everyone else.

That mom and son team was weird! They acted more like boyfriend and girlfriend *shudder*.

The stunt that grossed me out the most was collecting the cow hearts from the tank of cow's blood. Ewww! I bet that smelled nasty and clung to them for days.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    I am loving seeing this show again. My one problem with it is that the contestants get to watch and see the times and numbers they have to beat. When the father and son were eating the scorpions first they had nothing but get it done in mind, but the other two teams knew exactly how fast they needed to go to get it done. Also, when capturing the flags the siblings knew they had to beat 22. I know there was not a lot of room to be counting, but still they knew what to do. I wish they would have the people do the stunts without the others watching.
    Not only that, the teams who watch before they compete can figure out strategy based on what does NOT work for the first team. When the first team had to go from the roof of the bus to the helicopter, they didn't think to link hands until they were in the air. The second team realized that they should link hands BEFORE being lifted from the bus . . . while it didn't save them any time, it did increase their stability and probably saved them some physical effort. They also saw that the first team exhausted themselves by swimming as hard as they could towards the second helicopter's cargo net, so they took it a little easier. In a competition requiring stamina, anything that can be done to save energy is a bonus. And going second allowed that team to develop a more energy-saving strategy, giving them an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    That mom and son team was weird! They acted more like boyfriend and girlfriend *shudder*.
    I was relieved when they got eliminated. They were annoying AND uncomfortable to watch!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I was relieved when they got eliminated. They were annoying AND uncomfortable to watch!!
    Creepy weren't they! This show fascinates me and repulses me at the same time.I Love Joe, he makes the show imo.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

This show has always been a guilty pleasure for me and I am simply thrilled to have it back on. I love watching other people do things I would never be caught dead doing. Watching them eat those scorpions...ewwww! And hearing the crunch of them in their teeth....YUCK!
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast